Thread: Epox Board

Epox Board

Just picked up a used Barton 3000 AXDA3000DKV4E and tried running it in a EP-8RDA3+ board which had been running a Barton 2500 with no problems. After install of cpu I powered system up to BIOS and set the FSB to 200 and the clock multiplier to 10.5 Memory is set auto SPD. running at 400mghz. Booted to windows xp pro, sp3 and ran fine for 5 minutes the rebooted, and ran for about 10 minutes and rebooted, then the system would lock up, and I would hit the reset, then it just became unstable. I checked cpu temp. 41c. All the voltages looked good. I even checked for leaky capacitors and found none. Can anyone give me an idea of what I might have overlooked?

Re: Epox Board

Clear cmos, then set failsafe defaults on reboot. If works them load optimized defaults. Also try boosting cpu voltage

If that all fails defective cpu or psu.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Tried the failsafe method, and system was stable! Tried optimized method, and system rebooted. Increased the cpu voltage to 1.75, and system rebooted. Then I tried prime 95 and test aborted after 5 seconds. I noticed the voltages are all over the place more so with the Barton 3000 then with the Barton 2500. By the way, Prime 95 completed 4 test with the Barton 2500. Looks like my next try is with a different power supply unit. The Antec 550 true power has never given me any problems before, but we wil see if a new psu makes a difference.

Sounds like a plan. That psu sounds like it's a decade old and 3 gig Athlons were the top end and touchy. Also check memory timings (optimized may have tightened the timings)

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."

Installed NEW Antec Earthwatts 650 PSU, and had the same outcome, random reboots, Voltages are still up and down VCore 1.632-1.648, Vdimm 2.624-2.640, would a replacement of some capacitors around the CPU and memory slots help or would it be a waste of time. I would like to thank The Glas Man for his insight of this problem.

i don't think it's unusual for the vcore to fluctuate. vdimm can't remember.

if you can get to admin tools/event viewer, look in system for possible errors.

might run mem86.

http://www.memtest.org/

ud

Try running prime with small FFT's then large. Small tends to indicate cpu and large memory.

Ran memtes86 overnight with no errors. Prime 95 would not run in any test whatsoever. What errors would I be looking for in the event viewer? Saw some errors with a google loader but not much else.

Just a suggestion but have you tried reapplying the thermal paste/heatsink? Case cooling sufficient? Your symptoms sound heat related.
    AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE 3.2 @ 4.017 GHz | Scythe SCSMZ-2000 | ASRock 880GMH/USB3 | 8GB G.Skill DDR3 1600

cpu temp. 41c, case temp. 25c

if there was anything in event viewer it would have stood out. i was grasping at straws.

see if superpi will run. set it for a 32m calculation.

http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/366/mirrors.php

ud

Installed the Barton 2500 back in the main board, and ran superpi 32m calculation. No problems, it finished in just over 50 minutes. I think I will update to the latest BIOS and see what happens. Going on vacation and will not be back untill 11/15/10.

Finely! this motherboard is up and running great, it was quite a project but it is done. The fix consist of a new updated BIOS chip, and all the capacitors replaced. This board has never had voltages this stable even when it was new. I put the Athlon XP 3000 in my daughters computer, and put a Athlon XP 3200 in this motherboard, for an old board this thing runs perfect!