Monitor is cutting in and out

I'm running the system in my sig with a several year old Sceptre 19" monitor and the cards are enabled for crossfire.

The display started going completely dark at random times this afternoon. It wasn't showing a "no video" screen as it does when the computer shuts off the monitor or goes to sleep...just completely dark. The computer was still running as normal as I could hear the USB beeps when I unplugged a thumb drive or unplugged the monitor.

- Pulled the cards, blew out the heat sinks and checked all the connections...still happened.
    - I switched the cards (top to bottom) and reconnected the crossfire...still happened.
    - It still did it with one card.
    - Updated the drivers to the latest and greatest off ATI's website...did it again just now.

I'm at a loss here. I have another monitor coming tomorrow (my brothers 26" flat screen w/ a HDMI to DVI adapter so I can use it).

What has me confused is that the monitor immediately starts back up when unplugged from the computer and then be fine for an hour or may drop right away. Unplugging it at the back of the monitor does NOT fix it. Plugging the monitor in to any of the other 4 DVI ports besides the one that is outputting signal results in a no signal message on the monitor. It does not show anything when left plugged into that port after it drops.
    Rich

Antec Sonata
    Gigabyte EP45-DS3R
    E5200 Wolfsdale 2.5GHz
    2x Sapphire HD4850 Crossfire'd
    Corsair CMPSU 750W
    G.Skill 4GB (2x2) DDR2 1000
    Windows 7
    1x300gb & 1x1TB SATA300

Re: Monitor is cutting in and out

Just wondering. Have you tried switching the DVI cable? I'm just saying, I doubt it is the CF setup, and a new DVI cable is cheaper than a new monitor so why not give it a try?
    Steven
    Absolutely hopeless hardware geek.
    This is more fun than any human should be allowed to have!!!

I had been getting the same thing with my rig. 2x EVGA GTX 460s in SLI. Was able to get it to stop by turning off SLI.

It was the monitor.
    Rich

Antec Sonata
    Gigabyte EP45-DS3R
    E5200 Wolfsdale 2.5GHz
    2x Sapphire HD4850 Crossfire'd
    Corsair CMPSU 750W
    G.Skill 4GB (2x2) DDR2 1000
    Windows 7
    1x300gb & 1x1TB SATA300