Hello everyone. Best midrange vid card for GPU folding is?

Hi all. Some of you might remember me. Hope so.

Recently bought COD Black Ops and realized I need a new video card to really appreciate the game in all its glory. That means I'll be possibly folding again on a more serious note. Might as well if I have a nice new powerhouse graphics card in my machine.

I kinda miss hanging out on these boards with you guys, I guess its time to stop being antisocial

So whats the best bang for the buck these days GPU folding wise that would also let me play COD Black Ops reasonably well?

I've always been an AMD/ATI fanboy but not entirely opposed to checking out Nvidia's offerings. I've not followed the PC hardware market for anything in a quite a while so I have no idea whats the latest and greatest. Honestly looking to spend about $200, 250 tops. Not interested in multi card setups either, just a nice solid mid range card if thats doable in that price bracket. Right now the 6850s have my eye but I wasn't sure folding wise if its worth the bite or not.

Cheers all and looking to jumping back more aggresively into the folding pond soon again.
    Low Speed, High Drag!
    Formerly a team 734 Folding Frog. (Might start up again soon)

Re: Hello everyone. Best midrange vid card for GPU folding is?

The GTX460 is the best mid card for folding.

Quote Originally Posted by RIPPER View Post
    +1

AMD is behind on programming for folding efficiency. If folding is really of concern then nVidia is the way to go at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by RIPPER View Post
    + 2

the 460 card should net at least 10,000 PPD. compared to the ATI cards it's not even a contest. (at least for folding)

See my post in your other thread.

+3 even a 470.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

make it +4. I've got 2 of them in SLI averaging ~10k PPD each. the 6800's might get you around 4k ppd

EDIT: oh yea, and it games pretty well
    Last edited by Activate: AMD; 11-15-2010 at 12:14 PM.

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

Quote Originally Posted by Activate: AMD View Post
    make it +4. I've got 2 of them in SLI averaging ~10k PPD each. the 6800's might get you around 4k ppd

EDIT: oh yea, and it games pretty well
    ooo, so that's how you're catching up to me so fast

Lol Yeah these gtx460's are beasts at folding i think i got about 100k points since i got it about 40days ago. get one it will be enough. oh get the 1GB version.
    You can even use this card to game as well if you want.
    Power! i need more....

Ok, I've convinced myself to go back over to team green

I've been very happy with Gigabyte product, to date I've yet to ever have to RMA a single thing from them. Asus, Msi, etc.... I can't say the same and I been through some frustrating exchanges. So with that in mind, I specifically looked at Gigabyte's GTX 460 flavors. Sure, there are some other vendors offering similar products at cheaper prices, but I wonder why????????

I'm willing to pay a bit more for a Gigabyte based off previous experiences.

Right now I'm sort of eyeballing this guy.....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814125352

Seems to be a solid choice but I'm wondering if you guys think for a few extra bucks if this ones worth the "factory" overclock or not?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814125345

Both keep me well under my $250 max budget for this.

My only concern is I have an older but very stable Antec 500w Neo PSU. It did come with 2 PCIe connectors native so I'm assuming either of these cards shouldn't kill it. Its going on a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L board with a Core2 DUO Q6600, 1 DVD burner, and a pair of Raptor 74s. Not overclocking anything at this time.

I don't see any reason this cards going to put me into needing a new PSU category but please, for those GTX460 users out there, let me know if its good to go or not.

I've not had a graphics card yet that requires 2 PSU connections, so I'm a bit nervious.

Thanks in advance. Sort of hoped I'd see something Black Friday wise on a graphics card but nothing really jumped out at me so I'm just going to order this over the weekend from the egg along with some other BF deals I did see there that got my attention.

Might as well get a new LED monitor if I'm going to have a new GPU right?
    Last edited by JeremyWills; 11-24-2010 at 08:46 PM.
    Low Speed, High Drag!
    Formerly a team 734 Folding Frog. (Might start up again soon)

As long as your CPU is not a Smart Power, you should be Ok. However, I generally have a very low opinion of Antec PSUs, due to previous issues.
    AMD R7 1700x. MSI B350 Tomahawk. 2x8gb Corsair vengeance LPX. Coolermaster Hyper 212 evo. Corsair Carbide 200R. EVGA GTX 970.

Both of them look good. The second has those big heat pipes poking out the top, but i don't know if that will equate to better thermal performance. But since it is more overclocked it might be geared that way. The units they are sending out to Fermi GPUs (P6811) are beasts when it comes to controlling temperatures. If you have a single card it may not be too much of a worry if you have good case flow and don't mind winding the fans up a bit, but I have 2x MSI Cyclone GTX460s in adjacent slots (double wide) and I have had to install a 3000RPM 120mm fan to blow between them to keep the top card below 80C!
    If you are planning a single card and don't mind overclocking yourself with any of the free tools that work on any manufactures card (Afterburner, Precision or just Riva Tuner) then you could save $25 and get the lower clocked card (which is still an overclocked card 675->760) and then overclock it yourself to 800-850 which seems to be just about a given with any GTX460.

Anyway, just my 2c and I hope you have fun with your new card and fold on for the Frogs!