Page 19 of 336 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122232969119 ... LastLast

Re: The 2012 Election Thread

Oil companies get the oil royaly free on many public lands.

Same as the scenario with minerals, if not royalty free it's drastically low. Was done ages ago to encourage development. I presume that's what liteman's talking about.

Some of our mineral and oil policies on private lands are pretty screwed up as well.
    Tyan S5397 2x X5450 16GB - SuperMicro H8DCI 2x 275 8GB - Iwill DK8X 2x Opteron 250 2GB

Take a Kid FISHING!

Systematic debunking of how oil subsidies = anything good for this country:

I'll accept the argument that oil companies create tax revenue, but I won't agree with the argument that they are creating jobs with that money.

I don't want subsidies for anyone.
    Brian

The real problem with this is that the oil companies pretty much have us by the balls. If we take anything away from them, Americans will feel the pain at the pump. But if we give something to the oil compaines, nobody will see a price drop. It's a one way street and it works like this because we need oil, and if gas costed $25/gallon, people would still buy it.

I know reducing our dependance on oil is easier said than done, bit it is what needs to be done.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinC939 View Post
    The real problem with this is that the oil companies pretty much have us by the balls. If we take anything away from them, Americans will feel the pain at the pump. But if we give something to the oil compaines, nobody will see a price drop. It's a one way street and it works like this because we need oil, and if gas costed $25/gallon, people would still buy it.

I know reducing our dependance on oil is easier said than done, bit it is what needs to be done.
    You know what would be one of the best things we could do to reduce our dependence on oil and gas? Something that is practical and could probably be done within a couple of years?

Telecommuting.

I made this switch about a year and half ago. It lowers my overall pay ceiling somewhat but it allowed me the freedom to move somewhere and actually be able to afford to purchase a home. I only have to fill up my 12 gallon gas tank on my civic once a month at most.

I'm not saying that everyone can do it. You can't build a car from home. But I'd bet there are a lot of professions that could make the switch. Heck even cutting down a couple of days a week could make a big difference.

Hmmm... I think I have figured out Romney's strategy.

He has made it clear he's against ObamaCare, and wants it repealed. I suspect that when GOP candidates jump on him in debates regarding RomneyCare, he'll say that it's a states issue.

Yet, he hasn't come out and called RomneyCare a mistake and even praised it in his book "No Apology". (Ironic title is ironic).

Why?

I think he'll try to use RomneyCare to his advantage in the general election. Candidates always race to the extreme right/left in primaries, then race to the center in the general election.

In a theoretical Obama-Romney debate, Romney could appeal to moderates by talking about how he knows we need health care reform, he tried to tackle it in Massachusetts. He'll say that he's not a heartless conservative who doesn't care about the poors, hence what he did with RomneyCare.

At that point, he'll have the GOP nomination. Most Republicans will vote for him, and you'll have the fringe group who gets pissed and writes in Ron Paul or some bogus Tea Party candidate (Michelle Bachmann, etc.). But they probably would anyway.

This is why, I think he's bashing ObamaCare, but not outright attacking/apologizing for RomneyCare.

Should be interesting. If it wasn't for RomneyCare, I think Romney would be the GOP nominee already. He's a classic conservative on every other issue, religion aside.

My two cents on the issue.

Mitch Daniels is still my favorite though, even though he's unelectable because of his height.
    Last edited by Keven; 05-14-2011 at 08:41 PM.

I wonder if the legislature is willing to reduce their tax on gas to help the poor people paying for it too?
    "We say in our platform that we believe that the right to coin money and issue money is a function of government....

Those who are opposed to this proposition tell us that the issue of paper money is a function of the bank and that the government ought to go out of the banking business. I stand with Jefferson rather than with them, and tell them, as he did, that the issue of money is a function of the government and that the banks should go out of the governing business."

William Jennings Bryan.

Breaking News!

"Tax Hike Mike" Huckabee won't run for President in 2012.

I saw this coming a mile away. He just built a $3 million mansion in Florida, and isn't going to give up that fat paycheck from his show on Fox News.

I'd also give it a 50/50 chance that Sarah Palin doesn't run either.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackDragon24 View Post
    You know what would be one of the best things we could do to reduce our dependence on oil and gas? Something that is practical and could probably be done within a couple of years?

Telecommuting.

I made this switch about a year and half ago. It lowers my overall pay ceiling somewhat but it allowed me the freedom to move somewhere and actually be able to afford to purchase a home. I only have to fill up my 12 gallon gas tank on my civic once a month at most.

I'm not saying that everyone can do it. You can't build a car from home. But I'd bet there are a lot of professions that could make the switch. Heck even cutting down a couple of days a week could make a big difference.
    Agreed. My sister already does this and my wife is hoping to soon as well. I think it's an excellent idea, not only for companies but employees as well. The company likes it because it doesn't have to get involved in all of the human relation nonsense such as sexual harassment. They also don't need centers that are nearly as large meaning far less cost there. The employees like it for the obvious reasons of less car travel, gas, trafic to deal with etc. There will be more and more companies moving towards telecommuting as the technology allows.
    Beware liberals with guns.

Oh and as far another way to cut fuel use in the US? Close drive thrus at fast food places! I'm always amazed to see lines of cars at these places with people idling away fuel at $4.00 a gallon!

^^^ that help might fix more problems then just fuel use.

Quote Originally Posted by kbohip View Post
    Oh and as far another way to cut fuel use in the US? Close drive thrus at fast food places! I'm always amazed to see lines of cars at these places with people idling away fuel at $4.00 a gallon!
    And all those great low-income jobs for uneducated people and high school students - 'em!

And the stock price of McDonalds, Burger King and Wendy's - 'em! I mean, it's not like any middle class Americans have any 401ks that own any of those companies.

In honesty, I read somewhere it's more fuel efficient to turn off and turn back on your engine than idle for 30 seconds. So folks probably could make do with powering down in the drive through. But, people at my McDonald's drive through are so pushy, I'd probably get shot or something if I did that.

You would definitely get shot.

The mickey d's by my house has two drive thru lanes. But only one window to pay and one to get your food. Where the two lanes converge is probably the most dangerous intersection in town .

Quote Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
    Where the two lanes converge is probably the most dangerous intersection in town .
    YES! My McDonalds has the two lanes too! And where they go back together, people are always cutting each other off, getting upset, yelling out their windows.

Don't get between people and their Big Macs.

Gee. What a shocker. Trump says he's not running for president after all. What a putz.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011...run-president/