View Poll Results: What do you think of "enhanced" pat downs

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, whatever it takes to fly safely

5 17.24%
  • No, it is too intrusive

22 75.86%
  • I don't care. I don't fly commercial anyway.

2 6.90%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

"Enhanced pat downs?

I personally think this is ridiculous. We need profiling. I really don't think a 5 year old blond headed kid or a nun are any danger to me. I do not want to be groped or subjected to unnecessary xrays. And, no, I am not white.
    Brian

Re: "Enhanced pat downs?

hmm Timothy McVeigh? Unibomber? and who's to say the nun is really a nun? while it's probably not the best solution I'm not sure there is one with today's tech.
    If you enjoy gaming click here to learn about the Fragging Frogs.

I never much liked traveling at 600 mph crammed into an aluminum tube with a couple of hundred people. I'm thinking for my son's graduation this June:
    http://www.acmewebpages.com/midi/roadtrip.wav

Last edited by Frank1946; 11-22-2010 at 05:10 PM.
    FRH
    If more sane people were armed the crazy ones would get off fewer shots.

Win 7 Premium SP1 / MX 15 KDE / MEPIS 11

Oh just wait. Some dumbass will probably try to smuggle a bomb on a plane via his rectum. Then the TSA will introduce their new "Free mandatory prostate exams."

Quote Originally Posted by kbohip View Post
    Oh just wait. Some dumbass will probably try to smuggle a bomb on a plane via his rectum. Then the TSA will introduce their new "Free mandatory prostate exams."
    That thought has actually occurred to me also.

The other thing is surgical implants. Then we would have to get real full x-rays.
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by zetachi View Post
    hmm Timothy McVeigh? Unibomber? and who's to say the nun is really a nun? while it's probably not the best solution I'm not sure there is one with today's tech.
    They weren't suicide bombers.
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by bk94si View Post
    They don't need to be: many years ago there was a case where the bomber planted the device in his girlfriend's hold baggage. With better explosive technology, I'm sure she could be persuaded to carry some "innocuous" package aboard.

M
    Last edited by Meridian; 11-22-2010 at 05:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bk94si View Post
    And profiling would not have caught them
    If you enjoy gaming click here to learn about the Fragging Frogs.

Yeppers, TSA is getting a wee bit too intrusive. They should look for better ways that include profiling by trained experts. The Israeli system of screening might be a good example to investigate and learn from.

We all knew this was coming:

Muslim Group Advises Women Wearing Hijabs to Allow TSA ‘Enhanced Pat Downs’ Only on Head and Neck Area

Friday, November 12, 2010
    By Penny Starr

(CNSNews.com) - The Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) has issued a travel warning to Muslim airline passengers on U.S. aircraft in response to the Transportation Safety Administration’s "enhanced pat down" policy that went into effect in late October.

CAIR said Muslims who object to full-body scans for religious reasons should know their rights if they are required to undergo a pat-down, including asking for the procedure to be done in a private place. In addition, CAIR offered a “special recommendation” for Muslim women who wear a hijab, telling them they should tell the TSA officer that they may be searched only around the head and neck.

In the “special recommendations for Muslim women who wear hijab,” it states: “Before you are patted down, you should remind the TSA officer that they are only supposed to pat down the area in question, in this scenario, your head and neck. They SHOULD NOT subject you to a full-body or partial-body pat-down.”

It also states: “Instead of the pat-down, you can always request to pat down your own scarf, including head and neck area, and have the officers perform a chemical swipe of your hands.”

The new TSA pat-downs involving “head-to-toe” screening techniques follow recent airliner bombing attempts. Passengers who reject a full-body scan or who are selected for secondary screening may be searched using the enhanced pat-down.

“Pat downs are one important tool to help TSA detect hidden and dangerous items such as explosives,” a TSA statement issued on Oct. 28 stated. “Passengers should continue to expect an unpredictable mix of security layers that include explosives trace detection, advanced imaging technology, canine teams, among others.”

Posted on its Web site under “TSA’s Head-to-Toe Screening Policies,” the agency said how people are dressed may lead to closer inspection, including baggy or loose clothing. Those policies also include individuals being searched by a “professional” of the same sex.

“It is TSA's policy that passengers should be screened by an officer of the same gender in a professional, respectful manner,” the policy reads.

In February, the Figh Council of North America, a group of Islamic scholars, issued a fatwa, or religious ruling, that full-body scanners violate Islamic law.

“It is a violation of clear Islamic teaching that men or women be seen naked by other men and women,” the ruling states. “Islam highly emphasizes haya (modesty) and considers it part of the faith. The Qu’ran has commanded the believers, both men and women, to cover their private parts.”

CAIR endorsed the fatwa, according to a Feb. 21 article in the Detroit Free Press.

CAIR's press release on the TSA screening issue was first reported on by the Web site Black&Right.

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/...-wearing-hijab
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Napolitano May Exempt Muslims From Airport Pat-Downs
    ViewDiscussion.Last Updated: Tue, 11/16/2010 - 4:52pm

As the U.S. government retaliates against an American for refusing to allow airport security to grope his genitals, the nation’s Homeland Security secretary considers waving the intrusive “pat-downs” for Muslim women who consider them offensive.

The demand came last week from the politically-connected Muslim rights organization that serves as the U.S. front for the Palestinian terrorist group Hamas. Calling the searches “invasive” and “humiliating,” the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) advises Muslim women wearing religious head covers known as hijabs to reject full-body checks before boarding planes.

Those who are selected for the secondary screenings should remind Transportation Security Administration (TSA) officers that they are only supposed to pat down the head and neck and that they should not subject Muslim women to a full-body or partial body pat-down, according to CAIR’s advisory. It further says that, instead of a body search, Muslim women can request to check their own hijab and have officers perform a chemical swipe of their hands.

While Americans are forced to deal with the degrading searches, Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano is actually considering exempting Muslims as per CAIR’s demands. Madame Secretary confirmed this week that there will be “adjustments” and “more to come” on the issue of Muslim women in hijabs undergoing airport security pat-downs.

In the meantime her agency is targeting a San Diego man who received worldwide media coverage for refusing to let a TSA agent conduct a thorough body search that he felt amounted to a “sexual assault.” Referring to his genitals, the man told the TSA officer; “you touch my junk and I'm going to have you arrested.”

The head of TSA in San Diego called a press conference this week to announce that the agency has launched an investigation into the 31-year-old software programmer who was not allowed to board the plane. The feds plan to prosecute and fine him thousands of dollars for making them look bad. Actually, the official charge is leaving the airport’s security area without permission, which is prohibited to prevent terrorism.

Speaking of, TSA’s lapses over the years have certainly left the country vulnerable to another terrorist attack. The agency in charge of securing the nation’s transportation system has approved background checks for illegal immigrants working in sensitive areas of a busy U.S. airport and has failed miserably to ensure the security of tens of thousands of cargo packages transported daily in the bellies of passenger planes.

Just last week a Massachusetts news station revealed that TSA cleared dozens of illegal immigrants to train as pilots in the U.S., despite “strict security controls” implemented after 9/11. Some of the illegal immigrants provided the station with official TSA documents approving pilot lessons through the agency’s alien flight student program. After the story broke, Homeland Security officials promised to “review the process” for clearing foreign nationals to become licensed pilots.

http://www.judicialwatch.org/blog/20...port-pat-downs

I mean it's only fair and the politically correct thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Meridian
    many years ago there was a case where the bomber planted the device in his girlfriend's hold baggage. With better explosive technology, I'm sure she could be persuaded to carry some "innocuous" package aboard.
    I remember that. She was 6 months pregnant at the time too.

It was back in 1986 amazingly. He was a Jordanian Arab working for Syrian Intelligence called Nezar Hindawi. The innocent dupe (and also his fiancé) was Anne Mary Murphy, a 32 year old Irish woman. She was supposed to fly on her own from Londonistan to Tel Aviv to meet him in Isreal where they were to be married.

Luckily, El Al's enhanced security was suspicious of her and ordered a body search. She had nothing on her, but they found 3.25 pounds of Semtex hidden in the bag Hindawi had persuaded her to take. If only their level of security had been the norm across the airline industry we may have avoided Lockerbie two years later and maybe 9/11 too.

http://www.shabak.gov.il/english/his...urphycase.aspx

Those TSA screeners could earn a little extra cash if they were trained to do prostate exams and hernia checks… cough cough…

Quote Originally Posted by zetachi View Post
    And profiling would not have caught them
    There is NO screening that would have caught them. What does that have to do with genital fondling by TSA?
    Brian

4th amendment

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.
    Brian