Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: TES V: Skyrim

Re: TES II.II.II : Skyrim

Bump!

Skyrim launches this Friday. At first I thought the 11/11/11 thing was a cool date, but it actually kind of blows because the game isn't coming out on a Tuesday like regular game.

Thank god I pre-ordered this one on Steam. As everybody knows and is tired of me bitching about, I am between jobs at the moment, so don't have money to spend on fun things. But, for kids and unemployed people, Skyrim is a good one to have because with a game like this, you can spend hours and hours on it.

Im pretty excited about this game.

Hope its as good as oblivion was.

I have preloaded it! I am ready to play! Hopefully the pre-load works.

I had never played Oblivion until just a few days ago. A friend lent me his copy because he's convinced I'd love Skyrim. I told him no way, not my type of game. I go for the shooters mostly. At first I didn't like Oblivion, but as the hours went by (where did they go) I really started getting into it. It is one Hell of an involved game, but the quests are getting more fun, and I'm slowly learning this different type of gameplay style.

Needless to say, I'll be getting Skyrim for sure now. I just wish the graphics looked better. Watching some of the Skyrim videos, to me it only looks a little better than Oblivion, which is a damned shame considering how much time has passed between the two games. I hope I've been seeing the stupid Xbox 360 videos, and not the pc.

Oblivion, and to a slightly lesser extent Fallout 3, are games that have absolutely eaten my time for lunch. I feel like getting into them can sometimes be daunting, due in large part to the fact that you're not sure you actually want to give up so much time! Maybe its just me, but I've had a hard time lately building up my resolve to play through SP games. Christmas break was always my SP game time, but now thats not really as much of an option. Either way, I'll probably be getting Skyrim, but not on Launch day... not so soon after BF3

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

Quote Originally Posted by kbohip View Post
    I had never played Oblivion until just a few days ago. A friend lent me his copy because he's convinced I'd love Skyrim. I told him no way, not my type of game. I go for the shooters mostly. At first I didn't like Oblivion, but as the hours went by (where did they go) I really started getting into it. It is one Hell of an involved game, but the quests are getting more fun, and I'm slowly learning this different type of gameplay style.

Needless to say, I'll be getting Skyrim for sure now. I just wish the graphics looked better. Watching some of the Skyrim videos, to me it only looks a little better than Oblivion, which is a damned shame considering how much time has passed between the two games. I hope I've been seeing the stupid Xbox 360 videos, and not the pc.
    See, I think Skyrim looks great. I can't wait to see to see the Xbox vs. PC Skyrim videos.

Skyrim and BF3 (and Rage to a lesser extent with all the weird texture pop in crap) should be evidence to Sony and Microsoft that it's time to update their POS consoles. We're seeing top-tier games clearly make the jump to the next generation in terms of graphical quality on the PC. I'm just glad that there's developers who keep pushing the envelope on PC when they could just be programming for the six-year-old consoles with their 512MB of RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by Keven View Post
    See, I think Skyrim looks great. I can't wait to see to see the Xbox vs. PC Skyrim videos.

Skyrim and BF3 (and Rage to a lesser extent with all the weird texture pop in crap) should be evidence to Sony and Microsoft that it's time to update their POS consoles. We're seeing top-tier games clearly make the jump to the next generation in terms of graphical quality on the PC. I'm just glad that there's developers who keep pushing the envelope on PC when they could just be programming for the six-year-old consoles with their 512MB of RAM.
    Meh, I guess I'm spoiled after playing Metro 2033. Imo though, ALL games should look as good as Metro 2033 now, but of course that can't happen because of the developers having to make their games run quickly enough on consoles.

Meh, I guess I'm spoiled after playing Metro 2033. Imo though, ALL games should look as good as Metro 2033 now, but of course that can't happen because of the developers having to make their games run quickly enough on consoles.
    Well, I think Skyrim will be on par with Metro 2033 and BF3.

Whatever the case, we'll have to judge the game for ourselves when the game is out.

Oddly enough, I pre-loaded the game this morning and it just pulled down a small patch from Steam like 30 minutes ago.

Well, I think Skyrim will be on par with Metro 2033 and BF3.

Whatever the case, we'll have to judge the game for ourselves when the game is out.

Oddly enough, I pre-loaded the game this morning and it just pulled down a small patch from Steam like 30 minutes ago.
    No way. Metro 2033 was a DX11 game for one thing, and from what I've read, Skyrim is DX9. Let's just say I really hope you're right and I'm wrong on this.

No way. Metro 2033 was a DX11 game for one thing, and from what I've read, Skyrim is DX9. Let's just say I really hope you're right and I'm wrong on this.
    Skyrim is doing the same thing that Crysis 2 did. DX9 at launch, DX11 coming with a later patch for PC. Unfortunately, most of us were finished with Crysis 2 before the patch came. I bought Crysis 2 like a month after it came out and I finshed the single player before the DX11 patch. Anyway, with a game like Skyrim it will probably still be played whenever Bethesda can be bothered to roll out a patch.

Edit: Also, while googling, I found a IGN story saying that all screenshots released from Skyrim have been from the Xbox 360 version. So, cross your fingers that the PC version will look better. Who knows.
    Last edited by Keven; 11-09-2011 at 06:43 PM.

Skyrim is doing the same thing that Crysis 2 did. DX9 at launch, DX11 coming with a later patch for PC. Unfortunately, most of us were finished with Crysis 2 before the patch came. I bought Crysis 2 like a month after it came out and I finshed the single player before the DX11 patch. Anyway, with a game like Skyrim it will probably still be played whenever Bethesda can be bothered to roll out a patch.

Edit: Also, while googling, I found a IGN story saying that all screenshots released from Skyrim have been from the Xbox 360 version. So, cross your fingers that the PC version will look better. Who knows.
    Woohoo! I didn't know this. Imagine those dragon battles in all their DX11 glory! Now I have to ask myself if I can wait to play it long enough for DX11 to hit. Hmm, maybe I should just keep playing Oblivion, or maybe just pickup BF3...decisions, decisions.

GiantBomb.com, my favorite gaming news site, is doing a 12-hour marathon of Skyrim today and even watching their footage of the game at 720p, it looks like ass. The only saving grace is that they're playing the Xbox 360 version, so I'm crossing my fingers that the personal computer version will let me turn up the textures, ugh. Frigging consoles with their 128MB or whatever of video ram.

GiantBomb.com, my favorite gaming news site, is doing a 12-hour marathon of Skyrim today and even watching their footage of the game at 720p, it looks like ass. The only saving grace is that they're playing the Xbox 360 version, so I'm crossing my fingers that the personal computer version will let me turn up the textures, ugh. Frigging consoles with their 128MB or whatever of video ram.
    I don't know Kevin, I''m betting the graphics are going to be bad. I'm talking graphics that look only marginally better than Oblivion bad. Consoles have just completely stopped most game producers from upping the graphics like they did in the good old days when the pc ruled the gaming roost. I can remember buying a new video card every year just to try and keep up with the improved graphics of newer games. Lol, people would always complain about that, but it sure beats the alternative to what we've got now.

A good example is Deus Ex HR. Sure, it was an incredible game which I really enjoyed, but the whole time I was playing it I kept thinking how much more I would enjoy it with more realistic graphics, ie, pc level graphics. I know some people will make the argument that you don't play a game just for it's graphics, which I agree with to a certain extent, but I'm a pc gamer. Graphics are VERY important to me. They give the game so much more realism. Metro 2033 for example was a mediocre game with some glaring issues, but the graphics saved the day. I mean they just looked SO much better than what has now become the norm. If it looked like the typical console port I'd have stopped playing it halfway through.

So we'll wait and see with Skyrim, but I don't have any hope, other than the DX11 patch.

Oh and btw, I really HATE the lockpicking feature in Oblivion! I hope this is majorly improved in Skyrim.
    Last edited by kbohip; 11-10-2011 at 01:50 PM.

PC Gamer has posted 40 screenshots from the PC version.

Some shots look amazing, some not so much.

IGN has a video review while playing on the pc. It looks better than Oblivion obviously, but not at all where it should be. The reviewer does say that he prefers playing on the pc though for the much faster loading times and draw distance.