Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: TES V: Skyrim

Re: TES II.II.II : Skyrim

Playing this now (well, not right now obviously). As with Oblivion, the main problems are with the interface, which is clearly designed for a console. For instance: if you have the temerity to remap the keys (I use arrows not WASD) then the little reminders telling you what key to press for various functions doesn't get updated. And you can't remap the keys before you start your first game. Moving around the map is by pushing the pointer to the edge. The perks screen is all zooming in an out (by moving the pointer up and down the screen).

More problems:

You have to use the tab key to get out of any function, rather than pressing again the key that took you into it or Esc.
    The buy/sell screen is horrible as there's no way to compare your current item with what you are trying to buy. It's also not immediately obvious what is being bought and what sold. It doesn't take long to get the hang of it, but again a scrolling thing.
    If you remap the keys like I did you can stop favourites from working, which in turn means you can't equip things to shortcut keys (1-8). And why does this need two steps?
    If you do mess up key remapping there doesn't seem to be a "set to defaults" option.

Overall the game looks great and plays well, even on high setting, but there's a lot of annoying little issues.

M

Sounds like they didn't pay attention to any of the modders on or suggestions from PC. Or Morrowind.

I actually had a friend say to me last night, at 12:10, "I just am too tired to deal with this, the interface sucks." Even if he's an hour ahead of me, man, that is some serious instant buyer's remorse.
    My heatware

All students need to check out www.dreamspark.com

Proudly NOT a console or subscription/micropayment gamer.

Played about 3 hr worth. Graphics are better then oblivion, but not cutting edge.

Looks like an xbox360 game tbh and works better with a 360 controller...as bad as that sounds.

Its definitely consolish. But its a good game so far. Takes forever to get from point a to b without quick travel.

Quote Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
    Played about 3 hr worth. Graphics are better then oblivion, but not cutting edge.

Looks like an xbox360 game tbh and works better with a 360 controller...as bad as that sounds.

Its definitely consolish. But its a good game so far. Takes forever to get from point a to b without quick travel.
    console quirks aside, its a fun game. ive been enjoying it thouroughly. played from 8:30 pm to 5:30am this morning lol.

ps:being a werewolf is badass.

edit: oh and some might not know this, even if you DON'T have an xbox 360 control for some reason the game enables xbox controls by default. you need to go into options and uncheck it. this will fix some of the issues with the mouse not working right with the interface.

It is a good game, def am going to be spending some time on it.

Im a breton and have been focusing on my destructive spells mostly so far. It seems melee is almost necessary at the start. But im finally getting to where i can use only spells to defeat larger enemies.

I ran across that snow troll or whatever its called a bit ago...dont try to fight it lol .

Quote Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
    It is a good game, def am going to be spending some time on it.

Im a breton and have been focusing on my destructive spells mostly so far. It seems melee is almost necessary at the start. But im finally getting to where i can use only spells to defeat larger enemies.

I ran across that snow troll or whatever its called a bit ago...dont try to fight it lol .

lol i walked up to a giant at about level 4. he one shot my happy ass and sent me flying (and im fully serious here) about 1000ft into the air missing an arm.

i promptly came back for a rematch and kited his ass around the area till i finaly killed him with ranged magic spells 10 minutes later.

it wasn't really worth all that effort, but revenge was satisfying.

I've played 7 hours. Really loving it.

I hate to see the same console controls as Oblivion definitely has, but even in Oblivion they aren't bad enough to ruin the game for me. Btw, I'd never played an Elder Scrolls game until 4 days ago when I started on Oblivion.

What playstyle is everybody using?

I'm playing a Nord, using Heavy Armor and a warhammer (two-handed weap). No magic.

Nord, heavy armour, sword and shield.

M

I find it hard (for roleplaying purposes) to be anything but a Nord with regards to the main storyline.

I mean, your character is supposed to be returning to Skyrim and take up arms in their civil war, I can't imagine anybody but a Nord caring. Granted, I sided with the Stormcloaks in the game's prologue. Maybe it's different if you go with the Imperial Legion guy in the beginning.

I felt the same way with Morrowind (Morrowind spoilers incoming - game is 10 years old), where it's eventually revealed that you're a reincarnated Dunmer god (Nerevarine). I always felt it hard to believe that the Nerevarine could be anything other than a Dark Elf. I mean, "Oh hey, it's the second coming of the Nerevarine and he's come back as a Khajiit!"

Anyway, I like the way the elves look in Skyrim. A lot of people don't like them, but I think they look cool. And they don't just look like a regular person with pointy ears now.

Are you Nvidia gamers using the Beta drivers for this that came out yesterday? They are supposed to improve performance in SLI for Skyrim and BF3 among others.

Im going to dl them now....

I picked a breton because i like to do the battle mage thing in games like this. And a nord doesnt really fit that roll.

The game does seem to cater a little more to melee with the finishing moves and what not.

Wow. People are morons! If any of you get a chance (I know, you lucky sob's are all playing Skyrim and loving it) head on over to Amazon and see just how STUPID people have gotten nowadays. They are trashing this game with 1 star reviews for reasons that are beyond stupid. One jerkoff was bitching about how the game was unplayable on his 9800 GT. 9800 GT? Really? 2008 called, they don't want you or your outdated video card back moron! Another actually gave it a 1 star because even though he bought it on dvd, he had to use Steam and it tried to download the game via Steam. Lmao, someone commented that no dumb dumb, Steam is only downloading the day 1 patch for you.

Re size appears to not work on the beta drivers. I have to trick over scan by re sizing 1080p to 1848x1064 then changing it back to 1080 and i get the whole screen viewable.