Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: TES V: Skyrim

Re: TES II.II.II : Skyrim

Quote Originally Posted by Keven View Post
    Granted, I sided with the Stormcloaks in the game's prologue. Maybe it's different if you go with the Imperial Legion guy in the beginning.

The problem with this choice is that it happens so quickly that you may not realise that you are making it. Only the Imperial actually spoke to me, and so it was only when a quest popped up on the screen as to which I wanted to follow, that I realised I might have a choice. I assume you can back-track later, but it's silly to put such a fundamental question so early on.

But a minor quibble. As I said, all my major problems are the annoying interface.

M

Quote Originally Posted by kbohip View Post
    Wow. People are morons! If any of you get a chance (I know, you lucky sob's are all playing Skyrim and loving it) head on over to Amazon and see just how STUPID people have gotten nowadays. They are trashing this game with 1 star reviews for reasons that are beyond stupid. One jerkoff was bitching about how the game was unplayable on his 9800 GT. 9800 GT? Really? 2008 called, they don't want you or your outdated video card back moron! Another actually gave it a 1 star because even though he bought it on dvd, he had to use Steam and it tried to download the game via Steam. Lmao, someone commented that no dumb dumb, Steam is only downloading the day 1 patch for you.
    Aye I hear you and can't figure out some of those people who post things like that. Game runs beautiful on my GTX570.

^^^

Runs great for me as well. One thing i do notice is my gpu usage rarely goes above 50- 60%. Even when the fps drop below 60. I imagine it will be addressed in a patch...or maybe its the driver im using .

Quote Originally Posted by Meridian View Post
    The problem with this choice is that it happens so quickly that you may not realise that you are making it. Only the Imperial actually spoke to me, and so it was only when a quest popped up on the screen as to which I wanted to follow, that I realised I might have a choice. I assume you can back-track later, but it's silly to put such a fundamental question so early on.

But a minor quibble. As I said, all my major problems are the annoying interface.

M
    Yeah, it's a weird decision. It's weird that the Elder Scrolls are this great open world game and yet they ask you to make a decision that affects the entire main quest in the first 10 minutes, under the pressure of dragon attack.

There must be a way to switch sides, but I haven't found it (nor have I been looking really). I did see the Imperial Legion nord guy from the prologue walking around Whiterun. I tried to talk to him and see if he would try to recruit me to the Legion but he didn't.

The odd gpu usage went away after a reboot. Maybe afterburner was just acting up.

On my way to the winterhold finally. Hopefully the college there has some good spells.

Made some changes to the ini that made the game much more visually pleasing.

Also found this

http://donotargue.com/cfg-makers/skyrim/

Made a max ini in there ( their settings ) and tried it out. Worked great except inside in certain areas fps dropped very low. But if you just leave everything on ultra and change the view/draw distance settings along with a few other you can see a nice difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
    On my way to the winterhold finally. Hopefully the college there has some good spells.

As best I can tell (I'm only level 8) the stuff for sale scales with you, so don't expect flying meteors. Also, if you went with the legion guy it's worth hanging around the village you first arrive in to do the quests. The fetch one in particular is useful. Go right to the end of this (long) barrow dungeon. There's a couple of puzzles along the way. I did the second by brute force, but the first is solved by looking around you.

There's various little jobs you can do along the way: picking crops, chopping wood etc, but rewards are low and you need to find a quest-giver for each.

First dragon fight is good. My advice is to wait until it attacks someone else and go in from the side or rear - the flame breath is lethal.

M

Up to 4 dragon kills, they seem to be looking for me now...

Only two for me: the first scripted one plus one wild one. Have you had an assassin attack yet? I've had one.

M

Three now. And I've found my first daedric quest: for Clavicus Vile. Now I have a dog as a companion, which may last a while: unlike Oblivion, the quest covers a LOT of ground.

M

There must be a way to switch sides, but I haven't found it

It looks like you haven't really chosen sides until later in the game. I now have an option to join the Legion and an option to join the Stormcloaks(?). You get one from whoever you start the escape from, and the other from encountering someone in the other faction.

M

ugh. steam is telling me i have 31 hours in the game already. ive barely even touched the main quest.

Quote Originally Posted by Meridian View Post
    It looks like you haven't really chosen sides until later in the game. I now have an option to join the Legion and an option to join the Stormcloaks(?). You get one from whoever you start the escape from, and the other from encountering someone in the other faction.

M
    I actually just went to Windhelm (capital of the Stormcloaks) and talked to some guys there and they let me join. After some Googling around, it appears that you can join the Legion by finding their main base and doing the same. So, I guess what side you pick in the prologue is non-binding. I don't even know if the missions for the Stormcloaks can be considered main quest, doesn't really seem to be.

And one thing that Skyrim is great at is each city having its own atmosphere and style. This was something that Morrowind was GREAT at. Oblivion tried a little bit, but all the cities kind of had the same vibe outside of the Imperial City. But Skyrim is pretty good at it. I've been to three cities, Whiterun, Riften and Windhelm, and they each were unique.
    Last edited by Keven; 11-13-2011 at 11:29 PM.

And one thing that Skyrim is great at is each city having its own atmosphere and style. This was something that Morrowind was GREAT at. Oblivion tried a little bit, but all the cities kind of had the same vibe outside of the Imperial City. But Skyrim is pretty good at it. I've been to three cities, Whiterun, Riften and Windhelm, and they each were unique.
    Thats cool. I definitely found the Oblivion cities to be lacking in substance outside of the imperial city. Maybe it was because the Imperial city was the only one that was really big enough to be called a "city", the rest all felt like "towns"

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

FYI, I've seen the guide book for this game, and it's worth EVERY penny! A friend bought one and I looked through it. The amount of information in it is incredible and I'll enjoy the game a lot more with it. I've never bought one for any game before this one, but I've already bought the guide for it, and I haven't even bought the game yet! I'm still playing and enjoying Oblivion as I just started it a couple of weeks ago.

http://www.amazon.com/Elder-Scrolls-...1382762&sr=8-1