Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: TES V: Skyrim

Re: TES V: Skyrim

My first guy has tons of them. To bad i cant send them to you.

I re installed the game to play through with a different class type focus. Going to go melee nord this time around.

Is the leveling system the same from Oblivion? I had to go through three characters to figure out which skills I don't want in my major skill set so that I am not fighting enemies, such as minotaurs with a skill set of 20-30 for my heavy armor, block, and blade and weak restorations spells.

I found that after building up restoration spells/ one handed weapon. I could pretty much one hand sword while healing at the same time and destroy most mobs i came across....most being the key word.

Quote Originally Posted by Keven View Post
    I need more dragon bones!

I've really been getting in to smithing. I've maxed out my smithing skill and can now create dragon armor! You need a fair bit of dragon bones and scales to create dragonbone armor, though, so I'm running around looking for all the dragons I can find!
    Dragons you say? I got yer dragons right here!

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/11/21/ho...olls-v-skyrim/

Quote Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
    I found that after building up restoration spells/ one handed weapon. I could pretty much one hand sword while healing at the same time and destroy most mobs i came across....most being the key word.
    I broke down and bought the game today to play on my vacation time this week. this has pretty much been my strategy for the brief bit i've played so far

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

I need more dragon bones!

I've really been getting in to smithing. I've maxed out my smithing skill and can now create dragon armor! You need a fair bit of dragon bones and scales to create dragonbone armor, though, so I'm running around looking for all the dragons I can find!

Dragons seem to be triggered by fast travel or cart travel, especially to the cities. They are also in about a dozen fixed locations which you will be given bounties on: talk to people in the towns and ask about work where it's a option (inn owners are best). I now have a full set for me and another for Lydia, my carl.

One weird dragon moment: I fast-travelled to a fort I'd wanted to use as a start point. I'd cleared it out once, but bandits had occupied it again. The dragon circled a couple of times then swooped in and crash-landed. It ended up with its head through the gate trying to get at the bandits.

M

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter256 View Post
    Is the leveling system the same from Oblivion? I had to go through three characters to figure out which skills I don't want in my major skill set so that I am not fighting enemies, such as minotaurs with a skill set of 20-30 for my heavy armor, block, and blade and weak restorations spells.

Close enough - it's the Bethesda Way. Yes, using a skill raises your ability in that skill, enabling it to do more damage/protection/work/repair etc. Thus the same sword with skill 100 will do a lot more damage than with skill 10. Perks become available, related to the skill level you have reached plus other qualifying factors. But perks can be put into any skill, as long as they qualify, not just the ones you have raised in the last round. As is usually the case with perks, some are good, others nearly useless.

M

Quote Originally Posted by Meridian View Post
    One weird dragon moment: I fast-travelled to a fort I'd wanted to use as a start point. I'd cleared it out once, but bandits had occupied it again. The dragon circled a couple of times then swooped in and crash-landed. It ended up with its head through the gate trying to get at the bandits.
    Yes, I've had a few weird dragon moments like this too. I was fighting a Blood Dragon. Where I was fighting it, there was no place for it to land so it was just circling overhead. Suddenly, something on the other side of a river caught its attention, so it started attacking something else out of sight. Whatever it was fighting hit it with some sort of stamina drain because it dramatically crashed into the side of a mountain. It got up in a few moments later and kept fighting, though.

And it was fighting a group of Forsworn, if anybody is interested. Roaming around the Vale, the Forsworn has become my new most hated enemy.

Also, I was able to create one set of DragonPLATE armor and I'm not crazy about how it looks. The bones look weird. Maybe I'll try the Dragonscale armor instead. My character is a heavy armor dude, but should be easy enough to switch over to light armor with the new leveling system.

Quote Originally Posted by Meridian View Post
    Must admit that I've killed a lot more dragons than giants. Which reminds me: the game doesn't seem to track how many dragons you have destroyed? I think it's about eight, but I got a CTD just as I killed one outside Riften. Only three giants though: the scripted one near Whitehaven and two more together. Got the later two by sniping off a rock they couldn't climb. Took a long time though.

M
    There are the named dragons and then random ones in the main world, a few even pop up in dungeons. ( My Mage is around 10-11 kills so far on dragons with 1 sanctioned giant kill which is a random quest.)

There are also dragon shrines which also have words of power.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    There are the named dragons and then random ones in the main world, a few even pop up in dungeons. ( My Mage is around 10-11 kills so far on dragons with 1 sanctioned giant kill which is a random quest.)
    That reminds me... Meridian, if you go in the journal, under "Magic" there's a line that has number of Dragon Souls Absorbed, which is of course equal to dragons killed.

You spend dragon souls in order to unlock words of power, and you get at least 1 free unlock from the grey beards.

There are a total 20 shouts with 3 words each. ( Each word requires a dragon soul outside the free unlocks.)
    Last edited by Bryan; 11-22-2011 at 01:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    You spend dragon souls in order to unlock words of power, and you get at least 1 free unlock from the grey beards.
    Yeah, but does the free unlock show up as a dragon soul absorbed in the journal?

That reminds me... Meridian, if you go in the journal, under "Magic" there's a line that has number of Dragon Souls Absorbed, which is of course equal to dragons killed.

The number shown is the number of souls not yet used to unlock shouts, not the total ever acquired. Unlock a shout and watch it drop by one. I hadn't got around to unlocking any shouts not unlocked by the main quest (I'm capable of killing most things without them) and it showed thirteen. That would suggest (Keven) that the scripted soul don't count as it is put into a shout and would be removed from the total.

M

Interesting. Thought it was a total number. Odd they don't have a total tally for dragons killed. I mean, they have one for "bunnies slaughtered" which is sort of an easter egg/tongue-in-cheek stat, but nothing for dragons, which are pretty key to the game.

The problem is not all dragons are created equal, some specific ones don't count for dragon souls for one.