Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

To SSD or to not SSD? That is the question.

It's been a LONG time since I've done anything to my system other than the video card. Long as in 3-4 years now! I really feel that my 500gb WD hdd is holding the whole system back. I've lately started thinking about doing a major upgrade (cpu/mobo/ram) but I keep talking myself out of it as I'm quite happy with the speed of the system for the most part with the exception of the hdd.

I've thought about it and come to the conclusion that a new SSD would probably give me the performance increase I desire, without the need to change other parts that are still fast enough for what I use the computer for. I'd like to hear some comments from people here who have upgraded from an older tech hdd to an SSD. What I'm looking for in particular is a speed increase in boot times and program loading times.
    Last edited by kbohip; 12-15-2010 at 02:08 AM.

Re: To SSD or to not SSD? That is the question.

I have 5 computers and a net book. Three of the computers plus the netbook all run SSDs.

With the SSD, don't expect 12 second boot times but you will see a difference.

Apps definitely open faster.

If you decide to go with an SSD make sure you get one with a Sandforce controller, they are much faster than an Indilix or Micron controller.

As far as whats the best brand it is hard to say. People swear by Intel but I have never tried on so don't know.

I have pretty much tried all of the other popular brands and have settled on Corsair. Not to say it is better than any other but I have had good luck with them.

If you go with an SSD keep one of your spinners for storage. It is a bit expensive to buy enough SSDs to get enough space for a lot of storage.
    Asus M8Z77-V Deluxe
    Intel 3770K
    G-Skill 1600 16G
    Corsair H100
    EVGA 670 GTX
    2 Corsair Force 3 120G (Raid 0)
    2 x Seagate 1T 6G
    2 Samsung SyncMaster T260HD Monitors
    Thermaltake Level 10 UGK
    Silverstone Olympia OP1000 1000W
    Windows 8

Never argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by richardd43 View Post
    I have 5 computers and a net book. Three of the computers plus the netbook all run SSDs.

With the SSD, don't expect 12 second boot times but you will see a difference.

Apps definitely open faster.

If you decide to go with an SSD make sure you get one with a Sandforce controller, they are much faster than an Indilix or Micron controller.

As far as whats the best brand it is hard to say. People swear by Intel but I have never tried on so don't know.

I have pretty much tried all of the other popular brands and have settled on Corsair. Not to say it is better than any other but I have had good luck with them.

If you go with an SSD keep one of your spinners for storage. It is a bit expensive to buy enough SSDs to get enough space for a lot of storage.
    Slight correction Micron doesn't make the controllers on their SSD's. Marvell makes the SSD controllers on the C300 series SSD's, don't know who makes the controller on the older Micron SSD's.

I can tell you this the C300 series drivers, when used on a SATA 3 controller such as the Marvell 9123 are freakin fast. I have the C300 128, and am running on the ASUS U3S6 card, which is a USB 3 and Marvell 9123 SATA 3(6G) controller and it is blazin fast.

There are some instabilities in the Marvell drivers, which is why after a reinstall of Windows 7 I'm using the generic MSAHCI driver.

The Crucial C400 series SSD's are coming out next year, don't know who is making the controller on that series of SSD's, but I can safely tell you it isn't Micron.

I joined the SSD club a few months ago and the upgrade is worthwhile. Probably one of the most noticeable upgrades I have made in a while. I have an Intel and an OCZ LE and I can't tell the difference in performance in real life daily use even if the OCZ is supposed to be faster. Intel had the best reputation for reliability when I was researching my purchase.

if going ssd, i would wait, the new sandforce 2000 controller is due to be released after the first of the year, and allmost double the speed you have now....

i have thought of going ssd, but i would install nothing less than 120gb,,,too much $ for my taste,.......but the ssd prices probably will not come down for some time unfortunately
    Last edited by geekkyyy; 12-30-2010 at 03:23 PM.
    #1-i5-4690k-msi z97 gaming 5- msi gtx 1060 6gb- lg ud 68 4k monitor
    #2-amd phenom II x6 1100T-gigabyte 990fxa ud3-xfx 480 4gb- asus pb 278 2k moitor
    #3-i5-2400- biostar tzz77-msi 480 4gb- asus vx24a 2k monitor
    #4-dell inspiron 1520-8600 gt

I can wait and do stuff till then

However, is long time and still get nice value for monies from SSD. I recommend Sandforce SSD. Is impressive performance loading things from it when working properly.

I currently have OCZ, Mushkin, and Corsair SSDs in different computers and I like them all.

But yes, you definitely want a sandforce controller.
    Asus M8Z77-V Deluxe
    Intel 3770K
    G-Skill 1600 16G
    Corsair H100
    EVGA 670 GTX
    2 Corsair Force 3 120G (Raid 0)
    2 x Seagate 1T 6G
    2 Samsung SyncMaster T260HD Monitors
    Thermaltake Level 10 UGK
    Silverstone Olympia OP1000 1000W
    Windows 8

Never argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

SSD is the way to go. may not be 11 second boot, but my raided Corsair F120's (Sandforce 1222) allow my pc to boot from 28 seconds (raided velociraptors) down to 13 seconds (if you use a password add a few seconds of interaction time)

Use of apps is almost instant. You will think you upgraded your whole machine.
    ..::J.S.L::..

Email: jsl@jslenterprises.net

I'm getting my first Sandforce SSD. Is worth it kbohip.

Do it

i am going to wait, the new sandforce 2000 controller had about 500mg/s speed...also hoping for price decrease sometime ....
    #1-i5-4690k-msi z97 gaming 5- msi gtx 1060 6gb- lg ud 68 4k monitor
    #2-amd phenom II x6 1100T-gigabyte 990fxa ud3-xfx 480 4gb- asus pb 278 2k moitor
    #3-i5-2400- biostar tzz77-msi 480 4gb- asus vx24a 2k monitor
    #4-dell inspiron 1520-8600 gt

Do SSDs suffer from performance degradation over time?
    AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE 3.2 @ 4.017 GHz | Scythe SCSMZ-2000 | ASRock 880GMH/USB3 | 8GB G.Skill DDR3 1600

Don't think so. But usual, I might be wrong.

They'll probably just explode at some point...

I got a SSD when my Raptor died but switched back to my replacment.

Thinking of using the entire SSD for my Lightroom 3 database.
    Actual images are served by a black 7200 rpm drive from WD.

It's faster than modern 7.2k or 10k drives. And spinners have become awesome too.

It's probably the best upgrade you can do. Just make sure you get a new SSD - the old ones were slow.

Paid $140 for 60GB rated at 285MB/s.

Q9300 with 4 GB DDR2 1066 RAM
    UltraSharp 2408WFP (needs to be RMA'ed) on GeForce GTX 285 on two 18 amp 12V lines
    Audigy X-Fi Fatal1ty w/ Logitech Z-5500 & Sennheiser HD 280 Pro and HD 595
    plus the usual stuff in a poorly designed Antec P180 PW case

Hey, hard drive, only good for storaging huge files for me these days, like lots of games or whatever, bit old school for boot drive. I'm sure would feel bit slow for me using hard drive as boot drive.