Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: To SSD or to not SSD? That is the question.

Which are the fastest and most reliable SSD's? I bought an Agility 2 120GB and installed win7 64. Months later it behaved erratically. When coming out of standby it would hang so I had to reboot the pc. Some programs could be accessed quickly while others did not, it almost seemed random. I checked for any viruses/spyware issues but I already knew that wasn't the case.

The drive is undoubtedly quick but less reliable than an HDD. I've been thinking of purchasing the Vertex 3 240GB but now I'm skeptical of SSD reliability in general. If they're not reliable I'd rather use the Momentus XT 750 GB ST750LX003 hybrid which are many times more consistent.

Anyway I would appreciate your thoughts in the matter since I do want a fast but reliable SSD.

By the way, currently I'm using my Agility 2 as an output drive for video editing, it serves a better purpose there.

Everything I've ever read on SSD's says to never use standby or hibernation modes with them. I think this is where your troubles came from.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Edmund Burke

RIP PCPER TLR
    7-14-19

It's circumstantial evidence. Not good enough to blame the SSD and it's supposed to work before through and after standby and hibernation.

The thing is that I've also seen multiple user reviews with similar issues.

It may very well be that SSD's are "supposed" to work just fine regarding hibernation but all I can go by is what I read when researching them. That is it's just not a good idea to use hibernate or sleep with an SSD. I've been using an OCZ Solid 3 SSD for about 4 months now or so. So far it's been working perfectly and I have not noticed any strange behavior at all, but I never use sleep or hibernate either, just in case. I read all the bad reviews of all the Sandforce driven SSD's across all manufacturers and just decided to go for the cheapest one I could find as the specs were all very close anyway. 4 months is hardly anything though so who knows, the next time I switch my computer on I may have a dead SSD. It's the chance we take for having the latest and greatest I suppose.

If reliability is of utmost importance? I'd definitely still go with a regular or hybrid drive. Keep in mind though that you're not perfectly safe with them either. I looked into getting a WD Raptor before the SSD, and the plethora of bad reviews from users (regarding reliability) led me away from it. It sounds to me like you're on the right track with the Seagate.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Edmund Burke

RIP PCPER TLR
    7-14-19

Hybrid drives offer almost none of the benefits that an SSD does, they are essentially just HDDs with huge cache.

Sleep and hibernation states have been causing serious issues on PCs ever since they were invented, regardless of what type HDD is used.

If "fast" is what you want, SSD is the only way to go. With current firmware almost any of the Sandforce 3rd generation drives are fine. I doubt that failure rates are much different than platter drives. Read the user reviews on platter drives and you see the same complaints about failures.

Well if you compare HDD's and SDD's in reliability HDD's despite being mechanical are more consistent and you have a better chance of recovering data from them. The hybrid ones regardless of cache size they do perform almost like an SDD in access speed for the general everyday user. At the moment I am running a 2.5 hybrid on my laptop which is great but I wanna try an SDD on it since I occasionally do mild video editing when abroad. Mind you my laptop is just a Toshiba with an Core2 duo 2.10MHz 8GB RAM and the Momentus XT 500GB hybrid, yet it still feels fast so I haven't felt compelled to get an i5 or i7. I'm sure that with an SDD it will feel almost if not as good as an i5 laptop LOL!

Anyway the SDD with the issue I mentioned is on my desktop. Thanks for your comments and I welcome more so I can make a better evaluation, the SDD I want to buy costs as much as a higher end netbook or discounted laptop so I need to convince myself to take the plunge.

Quote Originally Posted by obtrunco View Post
    Which are the fastest and most reliable SSD's?
    Read this review if you are interested in what is most likely the most reliable SandForce based SSD:

by Anand Lal Shimpi on 2/6/2012

Codenamed Cherryville, Intel's SSD 520 would go through a full year of validation before Intel would sign off on the drive for release. In fact, it was some unresolved issues that cropped up during Intel's validation that pushed Cherryville back from the late 2011 release to today.
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/5508/i...y-to-sandforce

Intel probably has one of the highest reliability ratings if not the highest. That’s not to say that they haven’t had any problems but those were corrected fairly quickly. You’ll pay for that high degree of reliability though as reliable and speed aren't necessarily cheap.

A 240GB Intel 520 Series Cherryville will cost about ~$550 whereas some older cheaper 240GB SSD models can go as cheaply as ~$200 (A/R). To further contrast this, Newegg has an OCZ Agility III 240GB SSD going for ~$269.99 - minus a $20 rebate and a $30 gift card equating to about ~$219.99 (with free S&H).
    Last edited by Octavean; 02-14-2012 at 07:10 PM.
    Core i7 3930K | ASUS P9X79 Deluxe | GTX670 | 32GB DDR3 | 500GB SSD | Antec P183 | Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit | 3x 27" 1920x1080 Monitors
    Core i5 2500k | ASUS P8P67 Pro | 4GB DDR3 | 27 TB Storage | Antec 300 | Server 2012 Essentials | Headless
    Core i7 920 | ASUS P6T Deluxe | MSI GTX260 | 6GB DDR3 | OCZ 120GB Vertex 2 + WD 1TB + 750GB | Antec 300 | Windows 7 64bit | 27" 2560x1440
    Core i7 860 | ASUS P7P55D Pro | eVGA 8800GT | 4GB DDR3 | WD 1TB | Antec 300 | Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit | 40" 1920x1080 HDTV
    Core 2 Q6600 |ASUS P5G41C-M LX | 8800GTS | 8GB DDR3 | WD Black 1TB HDD | Antec 300 | Windows 7 64bit | 27" 2560x1440

HP P6150 Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit (Media Center System)
    HP EX490 MSS 16TB
    HP LX195 MSS

Hauppauge HD PVR 2x
    Hauppauge Colossus
    HDHomeRun 4x
    HDHomeRun Prime
    Xbox 360
    PS3
    Wii
    Wii U

Some peeps in a company should make a decent PCI Express controller card that performs about the same as those Intel mobo 6gbps controllers, then make some money out of it, but not be too expensive.

After a bit of experimenting I noticed that unless you have SATA6, using 3 velociraptors in RAID 0 had faster read speeds than an SSD such as OCZ's Agitlity 2. The SSD topped around 250MB's read and the Raptors went well over 300MB's per second. I think the raptors are better for everyday computing because of their access times and better cost per gigabyte. SSD's? Definitely for video, audio and photo editing and anything that requires good write performance.

If this Vertex 4 is reliable, good old Indilinx I reckon.

Heh, this thread won't die. As for me, my OCZ Solid 3 is still going strong. Not too bad considering all the horrible stories I read before jumping into the Sandbox...er Force.