Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

heads up problem w/nvidias newer cards

just got me a new 460 GTX so of course I go to nvidia for the latest drivers and installed the 260.99s . I play a few games and notice them choppy . I do a check and get lousy 2d and 3d proformance . Short story is that nvidias 260.99s are broken . I downgraded to the 260.89 and all problems disapear.

After doing some googling on the subjet I am not the only one
    anyone else notice this ?
    Last edited by brothergc; 12-27-2010 at 10:40 PM. Reason: updated to better title
    "The Lord Is My Shepherd, I Shall Not Want"
    PS:23

Re: heads up problem w/latest nvdia driver

No problems with the 260.99's here. All my games run smooth on my GTX480. It may be just a difference in system hardware.

I think so. They seem fine on 480 for me too. I think some bug on different hardware. I don't want.

huh, thats interesting . Must be with certain brands . Mine Is a MSI Hawk GTX 460.
    anyway I am looking foward to some new driver releases . Maybe they wont clock down the GPU so low . 50 Mhz at idle seems like going a little too agressive . If I go into the control panel I see a power profile , but the only option is "adaptive"
    Will MSIs' Afterburner allow you to set a not so agressive power management ?

My Hawk is running fine with those drivers. Something is not right if the only option in NCP under Power Management is "Adaptive." There should be another option for "Prefer maximum performance."
    Mostly they remembered only that it was a delight to hear the voice speaking, all that it said seemed wise and reasonable, and desire awoke in them by swift agreement to seem wise themselves.
    -J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings: The Two Towers

Don't Mess
    With Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Stillhouse View Post
    My Hawk is running fine with those drivers. Something is not right if the only option in NCP under Power Management is "Adaptive." There should be another option for "Prefer maximum performance."
    dont know , I tryed 3 sets of drivers and same results . Maybe their is a registry hack I can do ? will MSI live update update the vidcards bios ?

EDIT :
    MSI afterburner solved My issue . Now all is better . I created a profile with stock settings and wow what a difference . She still idles low but as soon as I launch anything core clock of the GPU shoot up very fast .
    MSI Update proved useless no bios update
    Last edited by brothergc; 12-20-2010 at 09:13 PM.

Thanks ! I submited the issue to Nvidia . Lets see what becomes of it

I put this setup together like alot here and I noticed that the 260.99 mess with my game cut scenes voices not there just video .Fast reinstall all back to normal.

games these day PC
    MAfia II free first card sweet era to play in .
    COD BO deathmatch so far most of the time
    Batman A.S
    Wii SMB
    PS3 new basketball game in mail
    ASUS Sabertoothz77 T.U.F Series
    Intel i7 3770K 3.5@4.2 4/8 8mb
    32GB DDR 1600 Overclocked Corsair Vengence
    2 Superclocked EVGA GTX 680s instead stock 1008/6008 @1088/6200 befoe I oc it
    2 raid 0 120x2 SSD Corsair Force GT and 60x2 SSD OCZ A III 1 x SSD to speed up external 2TB
    24in 19by12 32in & 65in 1900by1080P
    Logitech Z5500 5.1 505 watt all optical on SB X-fi 5.1 external

seems a lot of people are having issues with nvdias 400 series cards
    I am seeing post after post of slowdowns . Many are modding the quatro drivers and using them
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=333572).

here is just a couple of posts on the slowdown issue
    http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=189136

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=188842

I have noticed the same issue some games studdering.
    Also noticed windows in general will slowdown when about the same time as the GPU clock drops to 50 mhz as confirmed by keeping CPUz open and on the graphics tab. If I start opening multi windows in IE8 , the clock jumps to 800 Mhz , and so does computer proformance . Their must be a way to keep the clocks from dropping so low . Sure I do not want to run full speed at all times , but dropping to 50 Mhz is crazy !!
    The good news is it is rumored that this will be fixed in the next driver release due out as I hear it , in jan 2011.

oh well I submitted the bug report and not even a peep out of them . Now trying to use MSI tec support eamil but have little hope that will do any good.
    I was just on EVGAs site for the gtx460s and they are getting bios upgrades .
    I was half tempted to use one of their bios but I would probaly brick the cards and void the warenty

Re: heads up problem w/nvidias newer cards

The sli as a whole big inprovement
    No more stubles
    lowdowns
    Even mouse feels less lagy
    At 19by12 jaxed setting runs so good two card fps.60-80 I was thinking more fps just 10-20 more if that on newest games.
    ASUS Sabertoothz77 T.U.F Series
    Intel i7 3770K 3.5@4.2 4/8 8mb
    32GB DDR 1600 Overclocked Corsair Vengence
    2 Superclocked EVGA GTX 680s instead stock 1008/6008 @1088/6200 befoe I oc it
    2 raid 0 120x2 SSD Corsair Force GT and 60x2 SSD OCZ A III 1 x SSD to speed up external 2TB
    24in 19by12 32in & 65in 1900by1080P
    Logitech Z5500 5.1 505 watt all optical on SB X-fi 5.1 external

I must have gotten a defective card , I just poped in a 275GTX ( did all the driver cleaner routine ) and it fixed my issues . Doing some game play I am seeing games loading faster . Dont know what frame rates I am getting but cant be that bad as I see no lags . This MSI is going back to new egg .
    A side thought , its nice not to have those HDMI sound drivers running . See no need for them anyway In my case . Noticing now that the computer as a whole is snappier . Nice not to have the GPU idling down to 50 Mhz .
    The 275 in comparision idles at 300 Mhz so I dont know what Nvidia was thinking , sure I want to be green , but come on 50 Mhz idle is carring it way too far IMO.

The GTX 570 drops to 50/100 @ .912v. I havnt had any problems with it so far.
    Last edited by Invictus; 01-11-2011 at 02:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
    The GTX 570 drops to 50/100 @ .912v. I havnt had any problems with it so far.
    Interesting , maybe I got a bad card then because I have one of those MSi Hawlk 850 Mhz non reference cards ? I don't know . Anyway I am just going to return the card , save up and wait and see what nvidia is up to this summer . I hear That this close to releasing a GTX560. Be interesting to see how that pans out . I dought it would be better then your 570 but at the very least Nvidia should be able to better tweak their drivers , and the prices should drop on the 500 series cards.