Page 8 of 58 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Re: What movie are u watching tonight?

Quote Originally Posted by game4ever View Post
    The new HDTV on the other hand is jaw droppingly incredible, never left the couch last night at all.
    Yeah the beauty of today's TVs is indeed amazing. Even my 2 year old Samsung HL61A750 + Onkyo 7.1 sound system continues to impress me.

If you don't already have a decent 5.1 (or 7.1 if you have the space) sound system you should look into it. I can't express how much of an impact the sound has on the home movie watching experience.
    If you enjoy gaming click here to learn about the Fragging Frogs.

[Proudly using only AMD desktop CPUs since 1996 and now also GPUs in 2014 - Thanks AMD!!]
    My Rigs - My Upgrade History - My Games

I probably will get a nice sound system if I do ok on my tax returns, Lenny.

With the model blu ray player I have I "could" utilize my Logitech Z5300 speaker system (from what I've read) as the blu ray has an analog out. But I wouldn't get the THX goodness of the Z5300's. The tv sound is better then I thought it would be but an upgrade is likely, eventually.

Between xmas, my treadmill, a new pc monitor, a new HDTV, a new blu ray, and a new router I'm tapped out for awhile.
    **left this site 01/29/11

With the model blu ray player I have I "could" utilize my Logitech Z5300 speaker system (from what I've read) as the blu ray has an analog out. But I wouldn't get the THX goodness of the Z5300's. The tv sound is better then I thought it would be but an upgrade is likely, eventually.

Between xmas, my treadmill, a new pc monitor, a new HDTV, a new blu ray, and a new router I'm tapped out for awhile.
    Understand

If you do decide to shop I suggest looking at entry level Onkyo receivers like the Onkyo RC260. I have the RC160 and it rocks. One thing to remember is that you don't need to spend a ton of money to get a great sounding system. An entry level receiver and some decent small speakers (like maybe these Polk Audio's) and the sound will blow you away. Even 2 years later I'm still amazed by the sound quality and cool surround effects I get from a well done blu-ray on my system.

[Proudly using only AMD desktop CPUs since 1996 and now also GPUs in 2014 - Thanks AMD!!]

Yep, is worth it because sounds much better

Woke up early with the house quiet and watched the movie FIDO.

Its like Stand By Me with out the fat kid, The Green Mile with out the prison, and [Insert random Zombie Flick here] with out the shakey camera and confusion.

I liked it.
    Rock the Jukebox:
    2x Intel XEON E5405
    Asus DSBV-DX
    4x Kingston 2Gb FBuffered 667mhz w/4x MemCooler
    FSP 650w PSU
    MS Server 2008 STD

M3ltD0Vvn:
    Intel Q9550 w/Coolermaster Hyper 212 - 2x 120mm
    Asus P5N-D
    2x Transcend 2Gb 800Mhz
    FSP 550w SLI Certified <~~Bullet Proof
    EVGA GTX560Ti SC (Asus 22" 1680x1050)
    MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Just got back from the green Hornet. Dumb as box of bricks but funny as hell.

Time Traveler's Wife with the wife tonight. Good movie to watch together for you married peeps.

Just don't cheap out on speakers, you can cut some corners on the a/v receiver, blu ray and others and still get good quality, but a crappy set of speakers will haunt you until you finally drop the cash for good ones. I have always had good luck with Vann's for finding great deals on last years models, got my Infinity TSS 1100 speakers 1/2 price through them when the 1200 model set was released,best price I've ever seen them online, and an $1100 Onkyo a/v receiver for around $600! And Lenny is spot on with Onkyo making good entry level receivers, lot's of goodies for a lil money. Just figure if you have $1000 to spend, $600-700 goes to speakers.
    Last edited by frogmeat69; 01-16-2011 at 12:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by frogmeat69 View Post
    Just figure if you have $1000 to spend, $600-700 goes to speakers.
    Yeah $1000 seems like a lot of money (and it is) but for a mid-range system that seems about right. If you think about it you are buying a receiver, 5 or 7 speakers and a subwoofer. You can get away with smaller satellites for your surrounds (I have 4 of these Polk Audio RM6751) but the 2 fronts + center should be better if you can afford it. I have 10+ year old Energy XL-16 bookshelfs for my fronts, an Energy XL-C center and a Energy XL-S8 8" sub. I never replaced those because they sound great and I'm all about getting good quality at a reasonable price which is why I never buy high end stuff because it seems you get diminishing returns at you go up in price or unneeded features. If you have extra money and the space floor standing speakers for your fronts would be even better.

Having said all that if you don't have a lot of money to spend even a simple system with small speakers all the way around will still sound better than the TV speakers and of course give you surround sound.
    Last edited by Lenny; 01-16-2011 at 02:00 PM.

Inception should be here for me tonight

Both the wife and myself are home today. She's watching "Robin Hood" (blu ray) downstairs as I type this. I gave up
    on that movie, was kinda bleak and boring.......

The good news is I can add countless movies to my instant stream from Netflix and the upconversion from the Sammy blu ray to Sammy HDTV is almost flawless. Almost any movie looks as good as a blu ray on this system.

Both the wife and myself are home today. She's watching "Robin Hood" (blu ray) downstairs as I type this. I gave up
    on that movie, was kinda bleak and boring.......

The good news is I can add countless movies to my instant stream from Netflix and the upconversion from the Sammy blu ray to Sammy HDTV is almost flawless. Almost any movie looks as good as a blu ray on this system.
    I've noticed how good Netflix instant streaming looks on my new Samsung plasma too. I'd swear it's 80-90% as good as a Blu-Ray movie. This really surprises me seeing as how it's going over a wireless 54G connection through the PS3. I don't think IS looked as good on my old RPTV though.

The Matrix

Watched "The Town" on Blu-Ray last night. I wasn't as impressed as I thought I would be. I guess it just came off too much as a "Heat" clone. Don't get me wrong, "Heat" was one of my all time favorite shoot-em-up's, but I just thought Affleck pretty much copied it.

Quote Originally Posted by kbohip View Post
    Watched "The Town" on Blu-Ray last night. I wasn't as impressed as I thought I would be. I guess it just came off too much as a "Heat" clone. Don't get me wrong, "Heat" was one of my all time favorite shoot-em-up's, but I just thought Affleck pretty much copied it.
    I have "The Town" #2 in my queue. I've read mostly positive reviews, I'll add mine next week.

Just saw "Brokedown Palace" streaming off Netflix. Video quality was excellent as was the flick.