Hitachi warranty starts @ DoM?

Puchased a Hitachi 7K1000.C internal hard drive and idling with no partitions on it and no other actvity on the computer there is a noticable noise coming from the drive. One can also feel the drive apparently seeking / vibrating.

Since the drive is new I can return it to the online reseller or RMA it to Hitachi. The DoM (date of manufacture) is Feb 2010 10 mths ago. Hitachi online support system shows the warranty start date as Feb 2010. A post in another forum indicates Hitachi's warranty begins at DoM and Hitachi does not extend the warranty if one provides an invoice showing date of purchase. Is this indeed the case with Hitachi warranty? If it is I will be returning the drive to place of purchase and never buy Hitachi hard drives again.

Re: Hitachi warranty starts @ DoM?

The information you have about Hitachi warranty is correct. It is the DoM.

As a side note: I have two Hitachi drives that I use for backup's and have not had a problem. Both are 7200 rpm and run cool and quiet. Being backup drives, they sit around a lot but have never failed me yet.
    Gigabyte 870A-UD3 motherboard
    AMD AthlonII 64 X4 640
    G. Skill 4GB DDR3
    MSI N460GTX
    WD 1Tb 7200rpm hard drive
    NEC AD-7240s DVD burner
    Windows7 sp1

Quote Originally Posted by jolt2 View Post
    The information you have about Hitachi warranty is correct. It is the DoM.

As a side note: I have two Hitachi drives that I use for backup's and have not had a problem. Both are 7200 rpm and run cool and quiet. Being backup drives, they sit around a lot but have never failed me yet.
    That sucks about the warranty starting on Date Of Manufacture rather than on date of purchase. I have been buying Hitachi drives since I stopped buying Seagate drive due to their firmware fiasco a year or so. Now it looks like I will not buy Hitachi either.

If a product comes with a 3 yr warranty I expect to get a 3 yr warranty and not a 25 mth warranty as is the case with this hard drive which sat in a warehouse for 11 mths. When I return the drive, I will have to ship it back and probably wind up having to pay a 15% restocking fee since the drive still functions but I am not going to take a chance with this noisy drive failing with my backups.

UPDATE

I phoned Hitachi support and talked to Patrick and they will change the start period to date of purchase if one provides an invoice.

Regarding this drive I could RMA back to Hitachi but therer is no guarantee that after a 3 week wait, that I will not wind up with a replacement drive that does the same thing. The noise coming from the drive is not a consisten noise but changes pitch as if the read arm is moving. Think I will RMA it back to DirectCanada and absorb a possible 15% restocking fee as a lesson to buy hard drives locally.