Can I hook up 7.1 computer speakers to a TV?

Like, do I need one of those stereo synthesizers or w/e?

I have this thing, and the picture clearly shows it all plugged into a TV, but if it is that easy, why do TV speaker sets cost hundreds?

http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Inspi.../dp/B0002SQ2MU

Re: Can I hook up 7.1 computer speakers to a TV?

You have it and like it?
    Or have it and its not so good or?

Otherwise it depends on your hearing, normally almost anything is better than TV speakers since the slimmer they get the less space for good speakers.

It all comes down to price vs your opinion on sound quality.

For me TV sound is not good enough, haven't heard the system you linked to, do I think a Logitech Z-5500 THX-Certified 5.1 Digital Surround Sound Speaker would sound better -YES.

But not as good as my Onkyo TX-SR706 and 5.1 speakers.
    the Britgeezer

My Heat otherwise a smoke free home

I have it and like it, but will I just be able to effortlessly plug it in and have it work? Or do I need one of those theatre boxes?

Quote Originally Posted by Britgeezer View Post
    For me TV sound is not good enough, haven't heard the system you linked to, do I think a Logitech Z-5500 THX-Certified 5.1 Digital Surround Sound Speaker would sound better -YES.
    Z-5500 is what I use. Optical connection from PS3.

Issue arises when I plug in a blu-ray and the HDCP kills the video signal if I don't transmit the audio via HDMI. TV downsamples signal to 2.1 and I don't have a digital coaxial cable for the speakers yet.

Might just get a HTPC to deal with that...

I don't care if I get teased, but I'm happy with PC speakers. Connecting them can be a pain at times...

Regarding 7.1 speakers on a TV - I think it depends on the model. Mine down samples the signal for itself and the out ports. Blu-ray nightmare!

Q9300 with 4 GB DDR2 1066 RAM
    UltraSharp 2408WFP (needs to be RMA'ed) on GeForce GTX 285 on two 18 amp 12V lines
    Audigy X-Fi Fatal1ty w/ Logitech Z-5500 & Sennheiser HD 280 Pro and HD 595
    plus the usual stuff in a poorly designed Antec P180 PW case

It really depends how you do it.Some tvs have inputs to add small speakers but thoses usualy dont sound much better then the ones on tvs. The logitechz5500 setup that was mentioned is a huge improvement over tv speakers and I would recomend that over creative speakers any day as the sound ,quaility and warrenty are all much better then creative.the logitechs also alow you to hook seaveral devices to it via rca jacks,coaxial and spidif and 6 channel hookup which means you can usualy run them just fine off of onboard sound.
    Myself i run everything through my bryston amps/.sony preamp to my polk audio speakers. It starts with an asus xonar to give true hdmi passthrough abilities as well as being able to switch between spidif passthrough or hdmi passthrough .The diferance is if you get a movie that is recorded in 2 channel stereo by setting the card to spidif passthrough[even though theres only a hdmi cable hooked and not a spidf cable] it will allow for the external preamp prosesor to simulate the 2 chanel in to a 7.1 suround field format depending on your amp/preamp.
    There are a number of smaller home theater all in one systems on the market today as well .Many of these are pretty decent [not great but better then anything creative has to offer] and allow for multiple devices to be hooked to them and are relitively inexspensive
    Foxx

Hot deals trading rules
    rig
    950 i7 core,evga ftw3 mobo,3x2 gigpc12000,1xevga480, 4 x 74 g raptors, 2- 500gb seagates,46inch lcd monitor max res 1920\1080,obsidian 800d

Tv speakers are much more expensive because they serve a different purpose and they are made of much better materials. For example good quality speakers will be made of materials such as kevlar for the drivers, and use some titanium or diamond for the tweeters. All of this adds up. Also the casing of the speaker makes a difference. Is it a square case? Is it like a tube? Is it like a bowl?

There are hundrends if not thousands of reasons why home theatre speakers can cost you over $500 000 for a set.

Quote Originally Posted by Petden View Post
    Tv speakers are much more expensive because they serve a different purpose and they are made of much better materials. For example good quality speakers will be made of materials such as kevlar for the drivers, and use some titanium or diamond for the tweeters. All of this adds up. Also the casing of the speaker makes a difference. Is it a square case? Is it like a tube? Is it like a bowl?

There are hundrends if not thousands of reasons why home theatre speakers can cost you over $500 000 for a set.
    Heck, my main lh and rh monitors were $1200 for the pair! (and not all high-end speakers have fancy driver materials, mine have simple doped-paper cones and silk tweeters). But you really dont need to spend near that amount. You can find a nice set of Energy Take-5 speakers for a few hundred bucks with sub, and add a nice A/V Receiver for another 2 or 3 hundred and you will have a sound system that will blow you away!
    Last edited by John C; 02-08-2011 at 01:14 PM.

The material helps keep the speaker tight. It also reduces the distortion at higher levels. There many factors that contribute to a good speaker. An untrained ear wont be able to pick up too many differences once you hit a certain point.

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...42226a1e3een02

Those r nice small speakers pair it with a smaller sub and a receiver and you will notice a huge improvement over computer speakers.

Sorry to revive this topic, but I finally landed a job that pays worth a damn. I'm looking at the energy take classic 5.1. Is it really worth that much money? I don't even know if we can crank up our sound that loud without pissing off our neighbors.

You can't. The neighbors are pissed as is.

I'm using my PC speakers on the TV and switched to smaller speakers. I think it's always good to have some head-room.

How much are the classic 5.1? Never heard of them...

Q9300 with 4 GB DDR2 1066 RAM
    UltraSharp 2408WFP (needs to be RMA'ed) on GeForce GTX 285 on two 18 amp 12V lines
    Audigy X-Fi Fatal1ty w/ Logitech Z-5500 & Sennheiser HD 280 Pro and HD 595
    plus the usual stuff in a poorly designed Antec P180 PW case

It's not just about cranking it up loud, it's also about getting the best sound at lower volumes, too. A decent A/V unit and efficient 5.1 speaker set will make you wonder why you waited as long as you did to buy them. I have an Onkyo TX-SR806 and infinity TSS-1100 sats and 250 watt sub in an apartment building.

Ya, I decided to splurge a bit in this thread:

http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=477211