Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Re: US Domestic Energy / Energy policy

Quote Originally Posted by Keven View Post

The American people are starting to notice the gas prices. This task force will be a complete joke unless they come back with "Drill for oil in the United States" and "Stop printing money and making the dollar worthless." Though I'm sure the answer will be "Spend more imaginary government money on green projects" and "Tax the ebil ebil oil companies."
    Not to fret- the Department of Commodity Pricing is on it's way.

Think of how much we have learned in the area of price controls! We can now put it to good use-
    "We say in our platform that we believe that the right to coin money and issue money is a function of government....

Those who are opposed to this proposition tell us that the issue of paper money is a function of the bank and that the government ought to go out of the banking business. I stand with Jefferson rather than with them, and tell them, as he did, that the issue of money is a function of the government and that the banks should go out of the governing business."

William Jennings Bryan.

^^^ Hello central planning...
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

Task forces..
    Committees..
    Now a fuggin form letter..

Know What’ll Help You with High Gas Prices? A Democratic Form Letter!

With gasoline prices climbing toward $5 a gallon faster than a cat going up a tree while being chased by a pack of hellhounds, it’s become difficult for even the most obtuse politicians to ignore the clamor from the American public. “Drill, Baby, Drill” is fast becoming the “Don’t Tread on Me” of our day. Even Bill Clinton agrees that it makes no sense for our vast resources to lie untapped right now.

Yet there are at least a couple Democrats who are holding onto their obtuseness with an unbreakable grip. Ward Smythe, writing at the Bearing Drift blog, reprinted an e-mail he got from Virginia Senator Mark Warner on the matter:

I’ve heard from many of you about the skyrocketing gas prices and I understand the strain that these dramatic increases are placing on family budgets.

Finding the lowest gas prices in your area and researching alternative ways of reducing your fuel consumption can help ease the burden of these cost increases.

[...]

I hope these resources help you reduce your fuel costs and drive in a smarter, more wallet-friendly manner. If you have any questions or comments, please do not hesitate to contact my office.
    What followed were a couple links to websites where you can find the least expensive gas in your area and tips on how to get better gas mileage. He spent precious few characters on how he intended to end the relentless climb of gasoline prices nor did he bother to explain how he might put a few more bucks in Mr. Smythe’s pocket by prying the government’s strangling hands from around the neck of the economy.

If that was the whole story, it would be bad enough. I can’t imagine how much arrogance it would take to send out an unsolicited e-mail to constituents that says, basically, “Yeah, gas is expensive. Suck it up.”. But there’s more.

On a whim I decided to run part of Warner’s e-mail through Google to see what might come up. Guess what I found?

I’ve heard from many of you about the skyrocketing gas prices over the past few months and I understand the strain that these dramatic increases can place on your family budgets. Finding the lowest gas prices in your area and researching alternative ways of reducing your fuel consumption can ease the burden of these drastic cost increases.

[...]

I hope these resources help you reduce your fuel costs and drive in a smarter, more wallet-friendly manner. If you have any questions or comments, please do not hesitate to contact my office.
    Does that look familiar? It comes from the website of Corrine Brown, Democratic Representative from Florida’s 3rd District (which includes the city of Jacksonville as well as a chunk of the state bounded by Gainesville and Orlando). Her advice differs from Warners in only one detail — she recommends we buy a more fuel-efficient car instead of finding a cheaper gas station. Otherwise, the two messages are identical.

I can’t believe that Warner and Brown came up with the same talking points on their own. I’m willing to bet that there is a talking point memorandum floating around Capitol Hill even now from someone inside the Democratic Party and I’d be very interested to see if anyone else has received this e-mail from their member of Congress.

Gas prices in both Virginia ($3.81/gallon) and Florida ($3.86/gallon) have gone up about 30 cents in the past month and a dollar in the past year. Nationally, the average price for a gallon of gas is $3.91, up from $2.88 a year ago and $2.04 in April 2009. In the face of those increases, Democrats have steadfastly resisted all efforts to drill for oil in the United States. The President, who is so opposed to domestic production that he defied a judge’s order and reinstated his Gulf drilling ban, ponied up $2 billion taxpayer dollars in 2009 to encourage Brazil to drill more so that we can become its “best customer”. Neither Warner nor Brown serve their constituents well with a glib e-mail or web page. They need to reject the talking points they’ve apparently been given and get behind the rest of America.

Heck, if they really want a talking point, I’ll suggest one: Drill Here; Drill Now.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

Quote Originally Posted by AMDScooter View Post
    Task forces..
    Committees..
    Now a fuggin form letter..

Know What’ll Help You with High Gas Prices? A Democratic Form Letter!

Yep...

It was reported here in WI conservative talk radio that some Dem state senators and state assemblymen were sending the same form letter back to constituents who emailed them urging them to support the Walker Budget Repair bill. What are the odds they came up with the same exact wording on their own?

Looks like Democratic caucuses across the country are pooling their replies together. Hmmm. I suspect they're getting their talking points from the White House. David Axelrod is probably writing all this shit.

Floyd R.Turbo on Energy:

Nothing much changes.

^^^

A little good 411 on "oil subsidies"...

About Those Oil Subsidies

Everyone wants to end subsidies to oil companies, from President Obama to John Boehner and Paul Ryan. My question was "What subsidies?" Remarkably enough, CNN Money provided the answer.

It turns out that they are all tax "breaks." I even hesitate to call them "breaks" because some of them amount to little more than Congress defining accounting terms such as "capital equipment." And the total amount of earnings not collected in taxes (which liberals define as a "subsidy") is about $4 billion per year. Here is how that breaks down.

Domestic manufacturing tax deduction -- $1.7 B. This is a tax deduction given to every manufacturer in the US. Per CNN, it was "designed to keep factories in the United States." If that deduction were eliminated for oil companies only, it would mean singling out oil companies from all other manufacturers.

Percentage depletion allowance -- $1 B. Any industry can write down a portion of the cost of its capital equipment as part of the cost of doing business. Right now, oil in the ground is treated as capital equipment. Again, this "subsidy" amounts to how the cost of doing business is defined. All companies get it, not just oil companies.

Foreign tax credit -- $850 million. Companies get credit for taxes they pay to other countries. All companies get this "subsidy," not just oil companies. Should a company pay tax on tax? Should only oil companies pay tax on tax?

Intangible drilling costs -- $780 million. According to CNN, "[a]ll industries get to write off the costs of doing business, but they must take it over the life of an investment. The oil industry gets to take the drilling credit in the first year." Among these four tax "breaks," this smallest one was the only one that treated oil companies differently.

The above tax "breaks" explain how much tax revenue is not collected from all oil companies. How much is collected?

Exxon recently released its first quarter results for 2011. The number grabbing the headlines was Exxon's profit: $10.65 billion in a single quarter. The number not given quite as much exposure was the taxes it paid in that same quarter: $8 billion, or 42% of income before taxes.

And what does Exxon do with all that money it has left after paying $8 B in taxes? It put $7.8 billion into capital and exploration, as part of its plans "to invest between $33 billion and $37 billion per year over the next five years to develop new energy supplies."

In any other industry, that would be called "research and development." Exxon is plowing 73% of its after-tax profits back into R&D. Who would be better at spending $4 billion of energy companies' earnings in an attempt to provide our energy in the future: the energy companies or Obama's energy czar?

Do you know what oil company does get US subsidies, and not just tax "breaks"? Petrobras, Brazil's state-owned oil company. According to the Wall Street Journal,

The U.S. is going to lend billions of dollars to Brazil's state-owned oil company, Petrobras, to finance exploration of the huge offshore discovery in Brazil's Tupi oil field in the Santos Basin near Rio de Janeiro. Brazil's planning minister confirmed that White House National Security Adviser James Jones met this month [August 2009] with Brazilian officials to talk about the loan.
    Just to re-cap a few pertinent features of these "subsidies" to oil companies that Obama wants to cut.

They are all tax "breaks," or earnings that oil companies get to keep, not money paid out from the US Treasury.

The amount of earnings not collected in taxes is about $4.3 billion per year -- about 0.2% of this year's deficit and enough to fund about 10 hours of current US government spending.

A full $3.55 billion of that amount (82%) is due to the way taxes are treated for all industries or manufacturers. To change these tax laws only for oil companies would require singling them out among all industries for special mistreatment. (I'm not a lawyer, but that sounds like a bill of attainder to me, something our Constitution forbids.)

The only tax in which the oil industry seems to get special treatment compared to other industries is intangible drilling costs. The amount of that subsidy? That would be $0.78 billion per year -- enough to fund less than two hours of federal spending in 2011, and not even half the amount we are lending a foreign-owned and state-owned oil company for drilling offshore Brazil.

Oil companies already pay tax rates of 40-50% of income. For one company, Exxon, in one quarter of one year, that amount was over $8 billion, or almost double the so-called tax "subsidy" for all oil companies for an entire year.

If you think oil companies enjoy some special privilege because of the money they throw around Washington, DC, consider that the Oil & Gas industry ranked only 19th in the amount of money contributed to politicians in the 2008 election cycle: $17.7 million. Who was number one? Lawyers, who contributed $126.9 million, or over seven times as much as the Oil & Gas industry. The Education lobby gave $37.4 million, more than twice as much as Oil & Gas.

You might not realize it, but private oil companies don't own much oil. Most oil in the ground, in fact 87% of the world's supply, is owned by state-owned companies, and most of that by OPEC countries and Russia. Exxon, for example, owns only 0.68% of worldwide oil reserves. Venezuela owns 7.34%, more than 10 times as much as Exxon. What Exxon does is explore, drill, transport, refine, and distribute. It makes its money by doing things, not by sitting on capital.

According to the DOE's Energy Information Administration, every time you fill up your gas tank, more of your money goes to taxes than goes to refining costs and profits combined.

Having said all that, go ahead and get rid of that special treatment of intangible drilling costs. Make oil companies write them down over the life of their investments, not just one year. Increase corporate taxes in the US, where corporate tax rates are already highest in the world. Collect enough money to fund the federal government for two hours.

And of course, tell your constituents you don't kowtow to those big, bad oil companies. Unless they're owned by Brazil.

-The Gipper

Heh.. remember when..

Gas prices rising.. yet no such rhetoric about Bamma.

-The Gipper

Ok.. had to add one more..

2008: Pelosi blames high gas prices on “oil men in the White House”

Back in 2008 Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi said, “The price of oil is at the doorstep. Four dollars plus per gallon for oil is attributed to two oil men in the White House.”

Oddly enough, Pelosi is now conspicuously silent about gas prices. No public comments. No press conferences. No interviews.

Here’s a question for you: If Nancy Pelosi blamed high gas prices on “the oil men in the White House” back in 2008, shouldn’t she blame today’s high gas prices on the snake oil men in the White House?

Whose at fault now nanners?? Twit..

-The Gipper

Bill Gates is very bullish on nuclear energy!

After the nuclear disaster in Japan at the Fukushima reactors, the general public is understandably skittish about nuclear energy once again. But not Bill Gates. Speaking today at a Wired business conference in New York City, he is talking up the benefits of nuclear energy, particularly next-generation designs. The backlash, he thinks, is overblown. “If you compare it to the amount that coal has killed per kilowatt hour,” he points out, “it is way, way less.” When an accident does occur, however, its effects are much more visible. “Coal kills fewer people at one time, which is highly preferred by politicians,” he says.

[...]
    Great quotes! Coal kills fewer people at one time!

He also talks about wind power and solar in that interview. To sum it up - it thinks solar and wind are intermittent power sources, not as important as nuclear. He's also an investor in a startup that's trying to develop a smaller new design of nuclear reactor that's trying to produce less nuclear waste.

Quote Originally Posted by Keven View Post
    Bill Gates is very bullish on nuclear energy!

Great quotes! Coal kills fewer people at one time!

He also talks about wind power and solar in that interview. To sum it up - it thinks solar and wind are intermittent power sources, not as important as nuclear. He's also an investor in a startup that's trying to develop a smaller new design of nuclear reactor that's trying to produce less nuclear waste.
    If Bill had it his way, each home would have its own nuclear reactor, possibly several, and they would all be connected in the nuclear cloud.

Maybe some different terminology.....

Quote Originally Posted by BlackDragon24 View Post
    If Bill had it his way, each home would have its own nuclear reactor, possibly several, and they would all be connected in the nuclear cloud.

Maybe some different terminology.....
    Yeah, but some the nuclear cloud would be outsourced to Sony, they would keep everybody's personal data in an unencrypted text file, then some hacker would get in and Sony would take the nuclear cloud down for two weeks as they scratched their head and tried to figure out what happened.

Dems energy "policy" = tax energy producers. F- the consumer.

Democrats Admit Their Gas Bill Will Not Cut Gas Prices… But They Will Take More From Gas Companies

Republican Orrin Hatch called Thursday’s senate hearing a dog and pony show, a point he drove home with a visual aid. (CNN)

Democrats admitted this week that their tax bill will not cut gas prices at all…
    They just want to take more profit from the private sector.
    RepublicanSenate.gov reported:

With Gas Prices Nearing Record Highs, The Democrat Finance Chairman Says ‘I Don’t See That As An Issue At All. The Issue I See Is Who Shares.’

CHAIRMAN BAUCUS: Our Bill ‘Is Not Going To Change The Price At The Gasoline Pump’

SEN. MAX BAUCUS (D-MT): “You know, this is not going to change the price at the gasoline pump. That’s not the issue. I don’t see that as an issue at all. The issue I see is who shares.” (U.S. Senate, Finance Committee, Hearing, 5/12/11)

SEN. MARY LANDRIEU (D-LA): “It will not reduce gasoline prices by one penny.” “I would just like to add my strong voice to urging my colleagues to read this bill, to look at it and understand the inherent unfairness in it, the lack of significant deficit reduction, and the fact that it will not, although it is being touted as, it will not reduce gasoline prices by one penny.” (Sen. Landrieu, Floor Remarks, 5/11/11)

SEN. MARK BEGICH (D-AK): “It won’t decrease prices at the pump.” “There is a lot of talk right now about ending tax incentives for oil and gas industry, but the high profits right now of these companies are easy targets. But one thing Alaskans know, just because you have an easy target doesn’t mean it is the right thing to shoot. It won’t decrease prices at the pump for our families and small businesses. It will discourage companies, especially the independents, from domestic investment and job creation.” (Sen. Begich, Floor Remarks, 5/11/11)

SEN. CHUCK SCHUMER (D-NY): “This was never intended to talk about lowering prices.” (CNN’s “The Situation Room,” 5/11/11)

SEN. ROBERT MENENDEZ (D-NJ): “Nobody has made the claim that this bill is about reducing gas prices.” (“McCaskill: Savings From Cutting Oil Tax Breaks Should Be For Deficit Reduction,” The Hill’s E2 Wire Blog, 5/10/11)

-The Gipper

Germany will be the first "post-nuclear" country and will phase out nuclear power by 2022.

Not real happy about this.

I think it's great. It's going to cripple them and the backlash will be spectacular.

Dumb... and we will have to replenish that 30m at a higher price to boot.

Obama releasing 30M barrels from US oil reserves

Placebo....

-The Gipper