Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cloud Computing- What Do You Think?

I recognized that this may be more of a technical football than a political one, but the more I read about it, the more disquieting I find it. I just started looking at it and probably need a better discussion than what's provided so I can understand.

Here are a few write-ups:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_computing

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/cloud..._SCC=200010704

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/solutions/s...|p|6383183604#

Wiki was pretty straight-forward, but I found the Microsoft information befuddling and unsettling. The security person was all talk and no information AFAIC. The HP one had a decent visual and a little bit more enlightenment, but ....

It gave me a few misgivings.

This seems somewhat similar to a Distributive Computing Project (DCP) like Folding@home where many people can commit their personal computer resources to a task as well as the business partners. Soooo ....

Is it just me or does it also looks like a possible way to fire a lot of IT people? Imagine all these companies that no longer need to have as many machines and infrastructure because they can use yours for their applications?

I also find the cloud concept a way of getting you to do everything with remotely provided applications where they may be able to rip off everything you have- including the back-ups?

To me, at least, cloud computing looks like a placebo coated Trojan horse to give to the public. Whenever I think of this god-like access to data and potentially ALL your private information they are touting- I have to wonder who really gets all the data and what the charges are there going to be to access it?

Sigh- there just seems to me to0 much possibility for criminal exploitation and control- so I really wonder what the h*ll all the excitement is about.

?
    Last edited by AeroSim; 02-20-2011 at 04:10 PM. Reason: ed,
    "We say in our platform that we believe that the right to coin money and issue money is a function of government....

Those who are opposed to this proposition tell us that the issue of paper money is a function of the bank and that the government ought to go out of the banking business. I stand with Jefferson rather than with them, and tell them, as he did, that the issue of money is a function of the government and that the banks should go out of the governing business."

William Jennings Bryan.

Re: Cloud Computing- What Do You Think?

With my limited understanding, one problem I see is if the design has a flaw, how much time will pass before it is found? I work with blueprints all the time and sometimes I catch a flaw but when I don't it is an oh sh!t....I am the end user and not the engineer.

Well, my company's cloud based solution is hosted by Documentum, which is housed in a Category 5 secure sight... fed by two power grids for redundancy, 2 week back up generators, concrete bunker, armed guards, bio scan required for access etc etc. I realize physical access might be the least of their worries if a "Stuxnet-like" worm is unleashed, but even if you host it yourself - nothing's going to protect you from the likes of Stuxnet.

We also use a cloud based service for our mobile printing solution - a bit more benign as far as risks go..

Let me just say, you aren't the only person I've heard this from lately

And let me add, I would never, ever use Carbonite! (have you read the fine print?? OMG!)
    -TMack

"Forgive everyone for everything"

I would rather keep my own information on my own computer, thank you very much.
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by bk94si View Post
    I would rather keep my own information on my own computer, thank you very much.
    FRH
    If more sane people were armed the crazy ones would get off fewer shots.

Win 7 Premium SP1 / MX 15 KDE / MEPIS 11

It smacks of a return to 1970s dumb terminals.

They've already tried to return to this with Shitrix, so no thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Enmore View Post

You know, I was thinking of something like that too. All you need is a $100 display and keyboard/mouse with a WNIC in it and you can do everything online.

Heck, they might even give 'em away- but you'll also likely need a $50-125 monthly subscription fee on a 2 year contract just to make it do anything. And I think that's what they're really after. You listen to the company big-wigs and they think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. That's probably because it's another steady payday.

Everything else is just icing on the cake, AFAICT while people like me are going wtf?
    "We say in our platform that we believe that the right to coin money and issue money is a function of government....

Those who are opposed to this proposition tell us that the issue of paper money is a function of the bank and that the government ought to go out of the banking business. I stand with Jefferson rather than with them, and tell them, as he did, that the issue of money is a function of the government and that the banks should go out of the governing business."

William Jennings Bryan.

Quote Originally Posted by Enmore View Post

^^^Pretty much encapsulates my feelings in a nutshell. Welcome to the "cloud" mainframe. I know there are wide technological differences between the two.. but turning your home PC into a dumb terminal is definitely shared to some degree. Now they have your data and apps on the "cloud" instead of being controlled on your desktop. Thanks.. but no for me.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

I'm not a fan of the whole "cloud computing" thing either.

I don't see any advantages over what we have now. All I see is disasters waiting to happen.
    I'm known as Leaps-from-Shadows at other computer enthusiast forums.

They'll sell the whole cloud computing farce to all of the self proclaimed computer phobes. I would think Apple fanboys will be the first to jump on this bandwagon, assuming of course that Steve Jobs graces them with an expensive dumb terminal of their own.

Quote Originally Posted by TMack409 View Post
    Well, my company's cloud based solution is hosted by Documentum, which is housed in a Category 5 secure sight... fed by two power grids for redundancy, 2 week back up generators, concrete bunker, armed guards, bio scan required for access etc etc. ....
    All those dual redundancies sound great. But what about the weakest link in the chain...your companies own internet connection.

Okay, depending on the individual company, their internet connection may always be critical. But for the average small/medium business loosing internet connection for a day or two would be just an inconvenience. Now think what would happen if the same company is extensively using 'cloud' technology? Their employees are sitting there twiddling their thumbs.

I managed the servers at the company I used to work at. In the 10+ years we used those servers, we had only a few hours of actual server downtime when employees actually needed to access them (all planned downtime was done after hours so they never counted). But issues with our ISPs (we went through a few) left use with over a week of no Internet access, not to mention the weeks of crappy intermittent issues.

No I can not possibly see a responsible IT Technician suggesting using cloud technologies for any system critical function of a small business. However using the cloud for things like an encrypted backup, or possibly e-mail might be feasible. But I still don't like any unencrypted company or personal data stored off site (not company controlled) and personally find it easier and cheaper to handle these services myself.

I think it's gonna be Skynet... you know cloud computing, skynet!

As another election draws near; the G.O.P. are yet again filled with a stupid confidence that the they will win the White House. What they don't realize about people like Trump, Carson, and Cruz is that their rhetoric only resonates within an echo chamber, but not the American people. They live in an illusion of falsehood and distorted truth and only seek information and opinions that confirm these beliefs and instantly reject anything that contradicts them because only their opinions matter. Their notion of freedom is freedom for themselves and those alike to them, but not the rest of the country which has changed.
    These are the reasons why the G.O.P is set to lose in 2016. And when that happens, rest assured that they will have myriad of conspiracy theories blaming everyone and everything from the liberal media, to Oprah, to welfare moms, and pretty much everyone but their own disgusting selves.

^^^Beat me to it.

All I can think of when I see these microsoft cloud computing commercials is: "Is this how Skynet becomes self-aware?"

Though I wasn't clever enough to come up with the pun by myself

Quote Originally Posted by Spankin Partier View Post
    However using the cloud for things like an encrypted backup, or possibly e-mail might be feasible. .
    I can't tell you how many companies are dumping Lotus Notes etc for Gmail hosted email......

My own company is storing archieved (more than 60 days old) Lotus Notes email on a 3rd party [Symantec] cloud.
    -TMack

"Forgive everyone for everything"

Quote Originally Posted by TMack409 View Post
    I can't tell you how many companies are dumping Lotus Notes etc for Gmail hosted email......

My own company is storing archieved (more than 60 days old) Lotus Notes email on a 3rd party [Symantec] cloud.
    Because of the propietary nature of the data (not that it matters because of the out-sourcing), my company would never consider it. They do, however, out-source their servers .

I wouldn't count on the Global Warming Climategate community to use it either.

William Jennings Bryan.