Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Re: Any Bulldozer rumors?

Quote Originally Posted by AeroSim View Post
    I agree too- we need performance competition again to worry some of these high-end prices and liven the place up with renewed flame wars.

Werd...
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

You want a flamewar?

My Via CPU pwnz all ya'll!

My heatware

All students need to check out www.dreamspark.com

Proudly NOT a console or subscription/micropayment gamer.

Quote Originally Posted by Windrunner View Post
    You want a flamewar?

My Via CPU pwnz all ya'll!

You mean Cyrix right? I've got an AMD 486DX4~120Mhz/win98 rig in the garage that'll whupp yer buttox.

That reminds me.. I need to keep an eye open for a pair of PCI VooDoo2 cards to SLI in that sucker. The game emulators are ok.. but nothing beats playing the games on the hardware they were built to run on.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

If you really want fast, try running an 80 MHz ORG M1.
    Sometimes I feel like I'm becoming a dinosaur.

Oh dear god. He has a Cyrix CPU on a working board!

I only have one of those things floating around somewhere, never tested it to see if it worked. It's probably the oddest piece in my collection...

Anyone ever played around on a SPARC machine?
    My heatware

All students need to check out www.dreamspark.com

Proudly NOT a console or subscription/micropayment gamer.

No, but I have a K6-III, decendent of cyrix's last? cpu.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

sheesh guys, stop reminiscing over there, we've got bulldozer to lust over!

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D

So uhh, you think we will be seeing dual socket mobos for bulldozer?
    I still want 16 cores!!!

K6-III has no direct or indirect connection to Cyrix. The K6 core was a Nex-gen design, a company bought up by AMD after the K5 was not nearly as competitive as they wanted it to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Poci View Post
    So uhh, you think we will be seeing dual socket mobos for bulldozer?
    I still want 16 cores!!!
    Did you just try to stay on topic? LOL

All I want to know about is performance. Is Bulldozer going to be something that will give an Phenom II X6 owner a reason to upgrade? That's the question on my mind.
    If you enjoy gaming click here to learn about the Fragging Frogs.

[Proudly using only AMD desktop CPUs since 1996 and now also GPUs in 2014 - Thanks AMD!!]
    My Rigs - My Upgrade History - My Games

Quote Originally Posted by JoshMST View Post
    K6-III has no direct or indirect connection to Cyrix. The K6 core was a Nex-gen design, a company bought up by AMD after the K5 was not nearly as competitive as they wanted it to be.
    Thanks for stirring up those old memories!! (correctly) Forgot all about nexgen.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Not sure if this has already been mentioned:

AMD's Bulldozer boards will support SLI

[Proudly using only AMD desktop CPUs since 1996 and now also GPUs in 2014 - Thanks AMD!!]

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny View Post
    Not sure if this has already been mentioned:

AMD's Bulldozer boards will support SLI
    Wow, great news if true! SLI support has been a huge leg-up for intel, at least in my mind. going back to my days as a broke high-school kid, AMD was always #1 because you could get the performance for low prices by overclocking. If Bulldozer is anywhere near competitive, SLI is a huge boon for budget minded enthusiasts because they'll probably be able to OC bulldozer up to high-end performance, slap in the graphics card with the best price/performance ratio and have the upgrade path of being able to put in a second card later. Now they don't have to worry about using NV cards and not having the option to add a second one in when prices drop

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

Don't know about everyone else but I didn't realize Bulldozer CPUs (at least the first generation) were going to work in current AM3 boards with a BIOS upgrade.

Read the paragraphs before and after the photo of the blue Gigabyte motherboard.

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=1106

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny View Post
    Don't know about everyone else but I didn't realize Bulldozer CPUs (at least the first generation) were going to work in current AM3 boards with a BIOS upgrade.

Read the paragraphs before and after the photo of the blue Gigabyte motherboard.

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=1106
    Unexpected, and questionably useful unless you just like tinkering or taking risks. AMD seems to have not changed their stance on that however, wholly putting the responsibility of that scenario on the motherboard mfg.

Which makes sense, considering it won't be developed and usually holds back the potential of the processor. It must be they're not able to stop them from dropping in BIOS support. Any benefit would be lost in the combination of CPU price depreciation and lack of motherboard depreciation; unless you were just trying to replace a fried CPU but your motherboard is perfectly fine. And I suppose AMD has been there before, and the result must have been inconsistent enough for them to say "never again".

I honestly never thought about that before, but I'll be interested to see what people come up with when they try it out for nothing other than knowing.

The backwards compatibility of the motherboard will definately benefit both the company and the consumer however.
    ...Does anybody else feel like Congress simply bailed themselves out? Isn't that what they really mean by a bailout?