Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D

Re: Any Bulldozer rumors?

Ill be getting a next gen board for bulldozer.

Shame I really have no use for all those cores. Nothing I'm running was able to stress badly 4 cores with Inhell HT enabled. Be interesting to see how much more efficient they actually are though.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D

I remember reading about this thing called amd thread fusion where they got single threaded appz to run on all cores of a bulldozer

Quote Originally Posted by AMDScooter View Post

Shame I really have no use for all those cores. Nothing I'm running was able to stress badly 4 cores with Inhell HT enabled. Be interesting to see how much more efficient they actually are though.
    It's also a shame that some people at AMD can't tell a bulldozer from a pay-loader either.

Well, at least it's closer than an excavator.
    "We say in our platform that we believe that the right to coin money and issue money is a function of government....

Those who are opposed to this proposition tell us that the issue of paper money is a function of the bank and that the government ought to go out of the banking business. I stand with Jefferson rather than with them, and tell them, as he did, that the issue of money is a function of the government and that the banks should go out of the governing business."

William Jennings Bryan.

Quote Originally Posted by AeroSim View Post
    It's also a shame that some people at AMD can't tell a bulldozer from a pay-loader either.

Well, at least it's closer than an excavator.
    My two young sons ages 2 and 4 could tell the difference.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

Quote Originally Posted by Poci View Post
    I remember reading about this thing called amd thread fusion where they got single threaded appz to run on all cores of a bulldozer
    Yea I remember hearing about this, but I believe its just hype from years back

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

I remember before Barcelona came out that there were signs of trouble before the first delays came along. AMD's silence and absence during this period was both deafening and highly visible.

However, it looks like Bulldozer- more specifically Zambezi and Llano- looks to be tracking. Early hints of supply chain issues have not leaked and things look like "business as usual". In short- it's not the rumors that are encouraging, but the lack of them. A June shipping date looks like it may actually hold.

These things are suggesting to me at least that Bulldozer may well be worth waiting for. I'm just hoping that inflation doesn't get carried away first ....

http://www.amdzone.com/
    Fudzilla-Bulldozer yields are good
    The next CPU for AMD to launch is Llano and, as we said before, this product is going to launch at Computex, May 31st to June 4th. This is the last event in Q2 and AMD wants to use the noise and announce a few Llano design wins.
    Last edited by AeroSim; 04-16-2011 at 01:18 AM. Reason: added Llano- fixt link
    "We say in our platform that we believe that the right to coin money and issue money is a function of government....

Those who are opposed to this proposition tell us that the issue of paper money is a function of the bank and that the government ought to go out of the banking business. I stand with Jefferson rather than with them, and tell them, as he did, that the issue of money is a function of the government and that the banks should go out of the governing business."

William Jennings Bryan.

So uhh, you think we will be seeing dual socket mobos for bulldozer?
    I still want 16 cores!!!
    No. There is no market for that. The dual socket desktop market was tiny years ago and getting smaller. Having 8 cores in a single socket will probably do away with whatever part of the market was left. There is no money in that platform.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny View Post
    Don't know about everyone else but I didn't realize Bulldozer CPUs (at least the first generation) were going to work in current AM3 boards with a BIOS upgrade.
    AMD is only supporting BD in AM3+ sockets.

Not true.
    While I work for AMD, my posts are my own opinions.

http://blogs.amd.com/work/author/jfruehe/

Follow AMD Opteron on Twitter: @JF_AMD

The thread fusion idea has been around for ages, but nobody could ever get it to work well. It is far easier (but still non-trivial) to create workloads that are more parallel, and thereby multi-threaded on the software side. Now that we have pervasive multi-core parts in nearly every segment of the market, the software side is trying to get away from single threaded applications so they can more effectively utilize those extra cores.

Also, don't hold your breath waiting for Bulldozer. While Llano is shipping, I am not so certain that we will see BD until much farther into the summer when it actually ships in quantity.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshMST View Post
    The thread fusion idea has been around for ages, but nobody could ever get it to work well. It is far easier (but still non-trivial) to create workloads that are more parallel, and thereby multi-threaded on the software side.
    yea, but some things just can't be parallelized effectively. That said, it is much more practical than thread fusion, which is a complete pipe-dream at this point. The closest thing we'll see is really the proliferation and furthering of things like Turbo mode to work within the power envelope at much higher frequencies than would be possible with all cores fully operational. It'd be cool to see very extreme turbo modes with prioritization that would more agressively gate cores in order to guarantee maximum single-thread performance when necessary. If I'm running a priority single or low-parallel application, I don't really care if minor background processes get full CPU time. I want 2 cores OC'd as high as they can go, with maybe a third at minimum possible speeds to take care of background processes, all while the other 3 or 5 (assuming 6-8 core chips here) are totally shut off to save power. Hopefully we'll see this kind of granularity from AMD in these upcoming chips
    Last edited by Activate: AMD; 04-18-2011 at 02:54 PM.

Trust me, I do science

You really don't want some cores overclocked and some running slow. There are too many path dependencies. You don't want a process to have to think about waiting for a fast core vs. jumping on a slow core. you want every process to be able to grab a core and run.

Trying to manage really fast and really slow is a pain and leads to sub optimal processing. Like hyperthreading - it can lead to lower overall throughput. you want all resources to be equal.
    While I work for AMD, my posts are my own opinions.

http://blogs.amd.com/work/author/jfruehe/

Follow AMD Opteron on Twitter: @JF_AMD

can assign apps to specific cores, you set affinity in task manager. combined with a high priority it will kick off another app that is using the core when it is called.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Motherboard manufacturers are declaring 800 series motherboards as the first AM3+ motherboards.

This should go without saying, but...

True AM3+ is 900 series for both NB/SB. They list the specs right in front of your face, so don't just go by them saying "First AM3+ Motherboard on the Market." You look down and see it's an 880 with an SB850 you know they're lying.

The BIOS upgrade is just to help them sell off the non AM3+ motherboards.
    ...Does anybody else feel like Congress simply bailed themselves out? Isn't that what they really mean by a bailout?

Quote Originally Posted by JFAMD View Post
    You really don't want some cores overclocked and some running slow. There are too many path dependencies. You don't want a process to have to think about waiting for a fast core vs. jumping on a slow core. you want every process to be able to grab a core and run.

Trying to manage really fast and really slow is a pain and leads to sub optimal processing. Like hyperthreading - it can lead to lower overall throughput. you want all resources to be equal.
    I understand that there are many complexities that I have no business even attempting to grasp, so forgive me if my statements are completely ignorant. But what if overall throughput isn't the end goal? Say I have a single threaded app of high priority. I don't care about total throughput, only the throughput on a single app that can't otherwise take advantage of multiple cores. What is the best way to boost performance of that app in particular? Still, this is all hypothetical.. I really just want an AMD that will do -bigadv on F@H

Processors are getting "wider" a lot faster than they're getting "taller", but what if i still need to reach something on the top shelf

Quote Originally Posted by TheGlasMan View Post
    can assign apps to specific cores, you set affinity in task manager. combined with a high priority it will kick off another app that is using the core when it is called.
    This is kind of what I was thinking. an affinity lock to a specific core that's clocked substantially higher than the others (within the TDP limits)
    Last edited by Activate: AMD; 04-19-2011 at 12:01 PM.

Trust me, I do science

I question the availability of the 900 series chipset based off of this information from Asus I found on a wikipedia reference link:

http://event.asus.com/2011/mb/AM3_PLUS_Ready/

Makes you wonder when or if the 900 series will be available....

...this year.

I just don't trust MSI's over-excited marketing department.

Why would Asus create an entire generation of AM3+ motherboards and base them exclusively on the 800 series chipset from AMD?

Therefore, that basically makes me roughly half wrong. The side-effect of having AM3 and AM3+ boards all on the same chipset will certainly be more ambiguity, which really makes me very unhappy already. There's already a whole slew of non-ACPI compliant motherboards on the market by all the manufacturers. Now we have to hope and pray about which ones support the features of the processor in reality, instead of just being a "marketing oversight" by the manufacturer.

Grr. LOL. What can you do?

If MSI has an 990FX motherboard then why this?
    http://event.msi.com/mb/am3+/
    ...Does anybody else feel like Congress simply bailed themselves out? Isn't that what they really mean by a bailout?