External USB drive used as a network drive?

I currently have a couple large external USB hard drives but not enough cash to drop on a NAS. Is it possible to use an adapter such as this or this to convert the USB connection from the hard drive to an Ethernet connection to plug into a spare port on the router? I didn't think it was possible but this article seemed to indicate otherwise. I'm not sure if the one adapter will work, since the USB cords on the adapter as well as hard drive are both male. Although on the D-link adapter, it has several USB female ports, and I guess the USB male cord is just for power :/. I'm quite confused. Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: strike that, there are actually not several USB female ports on the D-link adapter, it just appeared that way from a distance. Although there are some out there, such as this. Would that work for my intended purpose? (I also like the idea of the functionality which enables you to use your printer via the network)

I'm aware that you can set up a network drive through a PC, but I prefer to have access to the drive from all computers regardless of which are on or off. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe they all have to be running the same OS, which mine are not.
    Last edited by rocca1290; 03-02-2011 at 04:27 PM.

Re: External USB drive used as a network drive?

I think the article writers are confusing a regular USB network adapter with a NAS adapter.

As an example of a NAS adapter.

http://www.simpletech.com/products/s.../simplenet.php

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    I think the article writers are confusing a regular USB network adapter with a NAS adapter.

As an example of a NAS adapter.

http://www.simpletech.com/products/s.../simplenet.php
    I actually saw that online somewhere, and I think it got really horrible reviews. Any other solutions?

Easiest way is to use a pc and share the usb drives that way.