Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Bombs at the Boston Marathon

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/15/us/bos...ons/index.html

lasts near the finish line of the Boston Marathon killed two people and injured 22 others Monday, Boston police said.
    The marathon itself, on its Facebook page, referred to the blasts as bombs. Authorities did not say immediately what caused the explosions.
    Massachusetts General Hospital said it was treating 19 injured people; Tufts Medical Center reported that some injured were to be treated there as well.
    The explosions sent smoke billowing into the air at Copley Square, turning a site of celebration into a mess of destruction.
    Crowds had gathered in the area to watch the runners.
    Out of an abundance of caution, the Lenox Hotel was evacuated, the Boston Globe reported, as authorities looked into possible security concerns.
    Officials in other cities, including New York, tightened security as as result.
    Mike Baingon, who works at the Atlantic Fish Company in Boston, said an explosion took place in front of the restaurant and that he was right by the front door at the time.
    The explosions occurred at about 2:45 p.m., more than two hours after the first of the race's nearly 27,000 runners had crossed the finish line, CNN Producer Matt Frucci reported.
    The race was halted as was subway service into the area.
    Troops from the Massachusetts National Guard were assisting police as well.
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/04/15...pokesman-says/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22160691
    Promote then, as an object of primary importance, institutions for the general diffusion of knowledge. In proportion as the structure of a government gives force to public opinion, it is essential that public opinion should be enlightened.

Re: Bombs at the Boston Marathon

I knew it was just a matter of time. Everyone hoopin' and hollerin' about firearm
    bans, and it was brought to point anyone who is nuts and REALLY wants to make
    a statement as whack as it is, need only plant or use bombs.

So it unfolds. Feel sad for those caught up in this, but not surprised.

Yep, just a matter of time..
    Last edited by no2guncntrl; 04-15-2013 at 05:58 PM.

Sounds like Al-Qaeda to me. Our national intelligence apparatus has effectively put a lid on their large-scale operations (al la 9/11), but from what I've read, they've shifted their focus to smaller, attacks organized at the local level without any input from the Al-Qeada command. Like the idiot who tried to set off that carbomb at Times Square.

If I listen real hard, I can just barely hear Alex Jones screaming that it's a false flag at his station in Texas.

As another election draws near; the G.O.P. are yet again filled with a stupid confidence that the they will win the White House. What they don't realize about people like Trump, Carson, and Cruz is that their rhetoric only resonates within an echo chamber, but not the American people. They live in an illusion of falsehood and distorted truth and only seek information and opinions that confirm these beliefs and instantly reject anything that contradicts them because only their opinions matter. Their notion of freedom is freedom for themselves and those alike to them, but not the rest of the country which has changed.
    These are the reasons why the G.O.P is set to lose in 2016. And when that happens, rest assured that they will have myriad of conspiracy theories blaming everyone and everything from the liberal media, to Oprah, to welfare moms, and pretty much everyone but their own disgusting selves.

Reading various comments on YT, there are people coming up with all sorts of theories. Some say Al Queda or some form of muslim terrorist, a few think domestic terrorists because of the similarity between this bombing and the Atlanta '96 bombings, others of course run the whole conspiracy theory gamut from false flags to North Korea. All I know is it was some typical A-Hole that thought his "cause" was worth more than some innocent persons life who was just trying to enjoy watching a marathon.

^^.
    These conspiracy people are getting ridiculous. Ridiculous to the point of harassing sandy hook victims claiming that they're paid actors. It seems like the comments section on youtube and other news articles are just infested with nutjobs who have the detective skills of a jealous housewife.
    I know I love to poke fun at Alex Jones and his lackeys, but I'm really starting to think that he's no laughing matter and is actually doing serious damage by misinforming the people.

As another election draws near; the G.O.P. are yet again filled with a stupid confidence that the they will win the White House. What they don't realize about people like Trump, Carson, and Cruz is that their rhetoric only resonates within an echo chamber, but not the American people. They live in an illusion of falsehood and distorted truth and only seek information and opinions that confirm these beliefs and instantly reject anything that contradicts them because only their opinions matter. Their notion of freedom is freedom for themselves and those alike to them, but not the rest of the country which has changed.
    These are the reasons why the G.O.P is set to lose in 2016. And when that happens, rest assured that they will have myriad of conspiracy theories blaming everyone and everything from the liberal media, to Oprah, to welfare moms, and pretty much everyone but their own disgusting selves.

When somebody is this predictable, you know they're full of shit...

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2013/04...s-to-think-so/

What an asshole.

I just found out that there were runners from newtown running 26.2 miles in honour of the victims of sandy hook.....

Not exactly validating anything at this point, but it seems interesting.

At least they're all safe.

Quote Originally Posted by no2guncntrl View Post
    I knew it was just a matter of time. Everyone hoopin' and hollerin' about firearm
    bans, and it was brought to point anyone who is nuts and REALLY wants to make
    a statement as whack as it is, need only plant or use bombs.

So it unfolds. Feel sad for those caught up in this, but not surprised.

Yep, just a matter of time..
    I have complicated thoughts on the issue of gun control, but you do realize you're just fueling the fire with this, right? "Only a matter of time" until people get violent, who are said to be violent in the first place and therefore needing regulation and control so that they don't become more violent. That fulfills the prophecy and plays into your opponents' hands, you know.

Quote Originally Posted by kbohip View Post
    Reading various comments on YT, there are people coming up with all sorts of theories. Some say Al Queda or some form of muslim terrorist, a few think domestic terrorists because of the similarity between this bombing and the Atlanta '96 bombings, others of course run the whole conspiracy theory gamut from false flags to North Korea. All I know is it was some typical A-Hole that thought his "cause" was worth more than some innocent persons life who was just trying to enjoy watching a marathon.
    This.
    Promote then, as an object of primary importance, institutions for the general diffusion of knowledge. In proportion as the structure of a government gives force to public opinion, it is essential that public opinion should be enlightened.

I was a bigtime Patton Oswalt fan even before he wrote this yesterday:

Boston. horrible.

I remember, when 9/11 went down, my reaction was, "Well, I've had it with humanity."

But I was wrong. I don't know what's going to be revealed to be behind all of this mayhem. One human insect or a poisonous mass of broken sociopaths.

But here's what I DO know. If it's one person or a HUNDRED people, that number is not even a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a percent of the population on this planet. You watch the videos of the carnage and there are people running TOWARDS the destruction to help out. (Thanks FAKE Gallery founder and owner Paul Kozlowski for pointing this out to me). This is a giant planet and we're lucky to live on it but there are prices and penalties incurred for the daily miracle of existence. One of them is, every once in awhile, the wiring of a tiny sliver of the species gets snarled and they're pointed towards darkness.

But the vast majority stands against that darkness and, like white blood cells attacking a virus, they dilute and weaken and eventually wash away the evil doers and, more importantly, the damage they wreak. This is beyond religion or creed or nation. We would not be here if humanity were inherently evil. We'd have eaten ourselves alive long ago.

So when you spot violence, or bigotry, or intolerance or fear or just garden-variety misogyny, hatred or ignorance, just look it in the eye and think, "The good outnumber you, and we always will."

Quote Originally Posted by BlackDragon24 View Post
    I was a bigtime Patton Oswalt fan even before he wrote this yesterday:
    Thanks BD, I needed that today.

Good to see you Orang, been way too long. Outside of the obvious, I hope all is well with you!
    Derailing topics with varied sidetracks since 2003.

I'm not saying who was responsible for the bombing, but where are the "Moderate Muslims" offering their condolences.

http://www.bizpacreview.com/2013/04/...-bombing-62151
    FRH
    If more sane people were armed the crazy ones would get off fewer shots.

Win 7 Premium SP1 / MX 15 KDE / MEPIS 11

Moderate Muslims as in they don't practice suicide bombings or hijack planes.

They just use shrapnel bombs...

I have complicated thoughts on the issue of gun control, but you do realize you're just fueling the fire with this, right? "Only a matter of time" until people get violent, who are said to be violent in the first place and therefore needing regulation and control so that they don't become more violent. That fulfills the prophecy and plays into your opponents' hands, you know.
    I'm not buying it. There are always going to be people for some reason known
    only to them, they'll try and pull something like this off and in THIS case did a
    pretty thorough job. I mean using pressure cookers and no one noticed these ?

Someone chose a high profile event and almost spot on timing to detonate
    these things. I haven't a clue who did it or why, but LEO's are going to want to
    find out fast because any lagging on suspects or progression on this only incites
    more nuts to do things like it and the summer is just around the corner.

Now I don't know what prophecy it is you're talking about but I do know that if
    this doesn't get solved pretty chop chop,...it's just a matter of time before someone
    else tries a similarly terrible action.

Liberals are wasting lil time on this. For instance, 'LET'S HOPE IT'S A WHITE AMERICAN"

http://dailycaller.com/2013/04/16/sa...hite-american/
    The liberal online magazine Salon published an opinion piece Tuesday evening by columnist David Sirota entitled, “Let’s hope the Boston Marathon bomber is a white American,” in which Sirota argued that if the perpetrator of Monday’s bombing attack, which left at least three people dead, is identified as a Muslim then conservative Republicans will use the tragedy to block Obama administration policy goals like immigration reform.

“If recent history is any guide, if the bomber ends up being a white anti-government extremist, white privilege will likely mean the attack is portrayed as just an isolated incident — one that has no bearing on any larger policy debates,” Sirota wrote in his Salon piece, which featured an image of Oklahoma City bomber Timothy McVeigh cropped beside a photograph of Osama bin Laden.

“It will probably be much different if the bomber ends up being a Muslim and/or a foreigner from the developing world. As we know from our own history, when those kind of individuals break laws in such a high-profile way, America often cites them as both proof that entire demographic groups must be targeted, and that therefore a more systemic response is warranted. At that point, it’s easy to imagine conservatives citing Boston as a reason to block immigration reform defense spending cuts and the Afghan War withdrawal and to further expand surveillance and other encroachments on civil liberties,” Sirota wrote.
    Oh, brother..
    Last edited by no2guncntrl; 04-16-2013 at 11:58 PM.

While I think what he said was very tacky, I can kinda see where he is coming from with this.

Both the media and Washington react differently to these type of events. When it's a foreign enemy it's an excuse to curb more constitutional rights in the name of safety. When its a white dude or an American it gets chalked up to an isolated incident and nothing happens.

The thing is that this kinds gets shot to shit when you consider he is one of alot people who calls for further gun control in the wake of a national tragedy.

What if Adam Lanza used a pressure cooker explosive instead of an AR15? Do we suddenly ban the household items needed to create one?
    Would it make you feel better if he killed those kids with a less scary variant of an Ar15?

Bad shit is gonna happen, and the odds of being killed in a school shooting or terrorist attack on U.S. soil are very low and we need to get the hell outta this trap in believing that we have to give up freedom for safety whenever something bad happens.

FWIW, I'm starting to lean towards it being a lone nut or a couple guys not associated with any foreign or domestic terror group. More often than not, terrorist organizations claim responsibility for the attack soon after it has occurred.