Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 225 of 385
  1. #211
    Joined
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    644

    Re: Gay Marriage/Gay Rights/Etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by /\/\adGamer View Post
    Actually I think you do in fact "get it".

    we can also substitute the word "normal" with "natural" if you like!Furthermore if you still don't "get it" Feel free to look up the words Normal or Natural that might help.

    if someone reads back far enough they will see I am all for civil unions, I just don't believe two people of the same sex can be "married" since I believe marriage is between one man and one woman
    Yeah, it only makes you uncomfortable if they do the same things you do.

    Because then you could not justify believing it is abnormal or unnatural.

  2. #212
    Joined
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    Posts
    6,027

    Re: Gay Marriage/Gay Rights/Etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Phopojijo View Post
    Yeah, it only makes you uncomfortable if they do the same things you do.

    Because then you could not justify believing it is abnormal or unnatural.
    Where did Mad say that gay people made him uncomfortable? Here's a hint, Phopo, if you want to convince more people to your side, don't be at Defcon 0 full thread war mode with every response to somebody who opposes gay marriage. You get more ants with honey than you do with vinegar. Or something like that.

    And the LGBT's push for marriage is trying to make it "normal". Rosa Parks sat on the front of the bus because she wanted to make African-Americans riding in the front of the bus to be "normal". Gay marriage is not recognized in 44 states in this country, making it "not normal".

    The political activism for gay marriage is about equality and acceptance within American culture aka making it a normal occurrence. Mad wasn't trying to imply that the crusade for gay marriage was some secret liberal plot to turn all young boys gay.

  3. #213
    Joined
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    74,682

    Re: Gay Marriage/Gay Rights/Etc.

    ^^maybe we get confused sometimes with the differences between "normal" and acceptable or typical and atypical. When I think normal..I picture bell curves where the bulk of folks may find themselves on some position. From that pov I suppose gay marriage may becomming more "normal" as attitudes shift over time. From a science point of view it doesnt strike me as normal for a subset of a species to not perpetuate itself...if we rely on the notion that a basic function/drive of any species is to reproduce itself.
    Maybe as an analogy (science pov) we might think of albino's. Statistically atypical but certainly acceptable.
    Last edited by jimzinsocal; 05-16-2012 at 07:51 AM.

  4. #214
    Joined
    Aug 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,843

    Re: Gay Marriage/Gay Rights/Etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by jimzinsocal View Post
    ^^maybe we get confused sometimes with the differences between "normal" and acceptable or typical and atypical. When I think normal..I picture bell curves where the bulk of folks may find themselves on some position. From that pov I suppose gay marriage may becomming more "normal" as attitudes shift over time. From a science point of view it doesnt strike me as normal for a subset of a species to not perpetuate itself...if we rely on the notion that a basic function/drive of any species is to reproduce itself.
    Maybe as an analogy (science pov) we might think of albino's. Statistically atypical but certainly acceptable.
    There are instances where other species go through a homosexual phase, but that's just it... a phase.

    I guess we have to separate ourselves from the animals even further lol.

  5. #215
    Joined
    Jun 2004
    Location
    In a house
    Posts
    5,755

    Re: Gay Marriage/Gay Rights/Etc.

    Where did Mad say that gay people made him uncomfortable?
    I have never said that gays make me uncomfortable! I just dont believe marriage is between two people of the same sex. I have said I am 100% for civil unions but gays want more than civil unions give because they don't contain the word "marriage".So as long as I get a vote in the matter whether it be on the State level or Federal level I will vote agaisnt gay marriage.

  6. #216
    Joined
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    11,090

    Re: Gay Marriage/Gay Rights/Etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by /\/\adGamer View Post
    This issue is all about forcing people to accept their behavior as normal. Thats why the Civil union approach with all the same bennies isn't going to work.
    Then you're just making it a semantic issue again. Civil Union with all the same benefits as Marriage? Then why not call it marriage? I guess we want to make sure that they're equal, but separate. sounds familiar


    Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

  7. #217
    Joined
    Jun 2004
    Location
    In a house
    Posts
    5,755

    Re: Gay Marriage/Gay Rights/Etc.

    Then why not call it marriage?
    because majority of Americans and myself believe marriage is defined as being between one man and one woman but thanks for stopping by

  8. #218
    Joined
    May 2002
    Location
    Twain Harte, CA
    Posts
    20,422

    Re: Gay Marriage/Gay Rights/Etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by /\/\adGamer View Post
    because majority of Americans and myself believe marriage is defined as being between one man and one woman but thanks for stopping by
    Well yeah, but today people can be anything we want them to be... labels are so passe.

    Example:


  9. #219
    Joined
    Jun 2004
    Location
    In a house
    Posts
    5,755

    Re: Gay Marriage/Gay Rights/Etc.

    I agree Dutch common sense is also out the window these days too just read this train wreck of a thread for example and the ones who use common sense are ridiculed. I mean how hard is it to understand a concept so easy as HUSBAND AND WIFE?

  10. #220
    Joined
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    644

    Re: Gay Marriage/Gay Rights/Etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by /\/\adGamer View Post
    I have never said that gays make me uncomfortable! I just dont believe marriage is between two people of the same sex. I have said I am 100% for civil unions but gays want more than civil unions give because they don't contain the word "marriage".So as long as I get a vote in the matter whether it be on the State level or Federal level I will vote agaisnt gay marriage.
    Quote Originally Posted by /\/\adGamer View Post
    I agree Dutch common sense is also out the window these days too just read this train wreck of a thread for example and the ones who use common sense are ridiculed. I mean how hard is it to understand a concept so easy as HUSBAND AND WIFE?
    I understand the concept of Husband and Wife, what's your point?

  11. #221
    Joined
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    74,682

    Re: Gay Marriage/Gay Rights/Etc.

    This sort of solidifies the politics of the issue (Obama's bringing it up as campaign issue) doesnt it? Completes the enterprise in a way... assuming it would turn black voters against him. That wont happen now.

    http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefi...as-civil-right

    I notice however, the language is careful.

    “Civil marriage is a civil right and a matter of civil law. The NAACP’s support for marriage equality is deeply rooted in the Fourteenth Amendment of the United States Constitution and equal protection of all people,” added the civil-rights group's President and CEO Benjamin Todd Jealous.
    Last edited by jimzinsocal; 05-20-2012 at 09:26 AM.

  12. #222
    Joined
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    Posts
    6,027

    Re: Gay Marriage/Gay Rights/Etc.

    Nobody has anything to say about the Chick-fil-a boycott and counter-boycott?

    Last edited by Keven; 08-03-2012 at 08:53 AM.

  13. #223
    Joined
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Oregon
    Age
    40
    Posts
    6,498

    Re: Gay Marriage/Gay Rights/Etc.

    I'll say something, though it is paraphrased from something I read on the web:

    Fit black first lady tells people they should eat healthy: Socialist
    Fat white governor tells people to go eat at chick fil-a: Hero

    O'Reilly was on the other night talking about how boycotting businesses because of their beliefs was un-American. Apparently he can't remember when he called his boycotts for Pepsi, France, etc....because they didn't believe what he did.

    But I think the whole thing is a joke. I wish all of the people who showed up to chick fil-a the other day would show as much concern for poor people as they would for an embattled CEO. And I wish the gay rights movement would get a grip....its not like this guy is lobbying congress to make gay marriage illegal....he just spoke his mind. Since when is that such a big deal?

    So I'm just hanging with my popcorn on this one

  14. #224
    Joined
    May 2002
    Location
    Twain Harte, CA
    Posts
    20,422

    Re: Gay Marriage/Gay Rights/Etc.

    It shows that the left does boycotts and the right does buycotts.

    What fired up the right was three mayors saying permits wouldn't be allowed because of the CEO's beliefs. Their argument isn't about gay rights at all. Its about free speech.

    Squirrel!!!

  15. #225
    Joined
    Mar 2002
    Location
    California
    Posts
    26,262

    Re: Gay Marriage/Gay Rights/Etc.

    Chick-fil-a is supposed to open a store front here on the El Camino. The local lgbt groups are pretty upset about it. A story in the local libberal weekly rag has the guy leading the charge against them saying the following:

    Gay marriage supporters file Chick-Fil-A appeal

    "It's not just a bigoted, evil company," Speakman said. "It's a company that wants a bad restaurant in a bad spot."
    &

    "We cannot win on any claim based upon this evil company's hateful actions against minorities," he writes. "But we can fight the land use change and the increased danger to our population from cars driving up and over the sidewalks to get to fast food -- a danger that is not worth the risk to our otherwise bicycle- and pedestrian-friendly city."
    As you can see the usual libberal tolerance is being employed. The council will be busy debating a plastic bag ban tonight. Anyone else wonder why CA is circling the drain?

    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."


    -The Gipper


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •