Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3d Displays

3d Displays

I want to pull the trigger on one of these, but it seems the current models have been around for a while. Any news on whether there are new models in the pipeline?

Re: 3d Displays

Yup, will come out just after you buy one

sorry couldn't resist, have no idea.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Asus and Samsung has few in the pipeline (within next month or so) both in 27" inch sizes.

In general, I'm looking forward to 120hz vs 3d. 3D does nothing for me = all hype

Technology is VERY new (120hz) and there will be MANY choices coming to the market in coming months. It's best to wait for # of reasons:
    - technology will improve/issues worked out
    - it will go down in cost
    - 3d hype will die

Personally I'm holding off. Not only because of above, but also because gaming industry is not putting out anything worth upgrading my PC/Monitor for.

This is the longest I have ever went with no upgrade......and get this, upgrade is not even on my mind at this point.

Battlefield 3 might change that....but my hopes are low, it is EA after all.
    Main Rig |Lian Li PC-K58W| Antec 750W HCG-750 |Intel 2500k SB |Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3|Patriot 2x 4GB| 2x MSI 460 1gb Hawk in SLI |Seagate 250gb|Samsung 24" 2433BW|Logitech MOMO|
    PC 3 |Ultra Aluminus|Ultra 500PS|Intel E8400 3.0|Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L|OCZ 2x 2GB| VisionTek 4870 512mb |Seagate 250gb|Dell 20.1" 2007fpw|
    HTPC|Antec New Solution HTPC Case|AMD X2 4000+|Gigabyte GA-MA69GM-S2H|Corsair 2x 1GB|ATI 5450|BlueRay|Seagate 250gb|Samsung 40"|

That's good news that bigger 3D screens are coming out.

iZ3D 22" screens used to sell for $800. Then $300. Now they're not available anymore.

I hope 3D goes somewhere...

Q9300 with 4 GB DDR2 1066 RAM
    UltraSharp 2408WFP (needs to be RMA'ed) on GeForce GTX 285 on two 18 amp 12V lines
    Audigy X-Fi Fatal1ty w/ Logitech Z-5500 & Sennheiser HD 280 Pro and HD 595
    plus the usual stuff in a poorly designed Antec P180 PW case

Quote Originally Posted by TheMan876 View Post
    I want to pull the trigger on one of these, but it seems the current models have been around for a while. Any news on whether there are new models in the pipeline?
    Just get yourself an IPS type monitor, why settle for lousy TN's? No comparison, if you value image QUALITY.

(120 Hz if you're a professional gamer, if u really need 60+ fps. 3d is still a gimmick, forcing your eyes with active shutters @ best).

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Mania View Post
    Just get yourself an IPS type monitor, why settle for lousy TN's? No comparison, if you value image QUALITY.

(120 Hz if you're a professional gamer, if u really need 60+ fps. 3d is still a gimmick, forcing your eyes with active shutters @ best).
    I've had a Dell 3007WFP-HC 25X16 IPS monitor for three years, I paid $1100 for it.

The last five monitors I purchased were "lousy 120Hz TN" panels.

I don't edit photos or video for a living, what I value is flexibility for gaming. 120Hz is great for playing fast paced shooters and not needing to use vsynch.

3D (and 3d Surround) and more immersion to the gaming experience than anything else, by far. NVIDIA has sold over half a million 3d Vision kits , it's gone past the "gimmick" stage. It's technology gamers have accepted.

I enable vsynch by choice, I use maximum anti aliasing and anisoptric filtering in any gaming I do.

So, settle for inaccurate color just to have the privilige of not using vsynch?

Its hard to believe you have had an IPS monitor, in fact I don't believe it.

I remember a thread like this before. Do whatever you think is correct. Might as well override the bad things about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Mania View Post
    I enable vsynch by choice, I use maximum anti aliasing and anisoptric filtering in any gaming I do.

So, settle for inaccurate color just to have the privilige of not using vsynch?

Its hard to believe you have had an IPS monitor, in fact I don't believe it.

Why would I lie about the hardware I own? For monitors I'm currently using three Acer 235Hz 3d panels on my main rig, driven by an intel 990X/GTX590. My spare rig has a Dell 3007 WFP-HC, driven by an intel 2500K/3GB GTX580.

First of all "inaccurate color" in gaming is sort of a moot point. Games aren't real, the Batman in Arkham Asylum does not look like the Batman at the movies. If the grey in his suit is a little off, what's the difference? Doesn't make the game less fun.

Second, AA? I've been gaming since DOOM 1 days on computers, and always have high end rigs. (actually had two of the EVGA 3GB 580s till yesterday, cashed one out while prices are high pre-Kepler release supposedly coming Q1 2012) I've played with ALL modes of AA, and here's how I would rank my preferences for gaming:
    1. 3D Surround
    2. 3D single panel
    3. Surround or EyeFinity
    4. High resolution (25X16 only)
    5. High AA & 16X AF tie

High AA is last thing I care about these days- just doesn't add that much to gaming with shooters (all I play) IMO.

I'll put it to you this way:
    When NVIDIA sent me a 22" 16X10 Sammie 3d kit a few weeks before 3d Vision launched, I put the 3007 WFP-HC on my spare rig and gamed in 3d only for a year. Then I bought two more Sammie panels. I liked that so much I bought the three Acers so I could do it in 1080P.

I could have bought more 3007s at any point, and still can, but I didn't. 3D, 120, and surround just trump it.

I guess it comes down to preferences. If all a person uses their pc for is first person shooting games then I can see your point with 120 Hz.

But if its being used for multimedia purposes, which will include video editing, photos, web browsing and gaming I'd take an IPS any and every day.

As far as 3d tv, 3d monitors and any 3d techniques currently being used I will AVOID.

You are representing Nvidia and I am representing a viewpoint from the everyday consumer, a working joe that occasionally games. But I like nice image quality. And 25 x 16 on a huge screen is not high rez gaming. Its the lcd panel type and PIXEL DENSITY (pixels per square inch) that matters MOST.
    Last edited by Mountain Mania; 12-07-2011 at 02:28 PM.

(shrugs)

I'm loosely associated with NVIDIA, but I bought five 3d monitors with cash out of pocket and I'm not a wealthy person. That says something about how much I like 3d.

Also, I'd take ATi's EyeFinity or NVIDIA Suuround on three TN panels over any single panel. Surround and 3d just add immersion to games, plain and simple. They're not cost effective for "occasional" gamers, but people who game a lot owe to themselves to try them, IMO.

I liked the 3007WFP-HC a lot when I first bought it as well, but time moves on and 60 X 10 >>>>> 25X16.

I started doing 3D about 8 years ago with a 21" monitor and e-dimentional shutter glasses. Loved it. Then I got a 120Hz projector. Loved it even more. After a couple of years the game resolution far surpassed the projector resolution so I put it away. I still loved going to the Imax theater to see pretty much everything that came out in 3D. After awhile that seemed to peter out. The there was Avatar. OMG!!! 3D was back and better than ever. Two months ago I picked up a 23" Asus/Nvidia package from Ebay for $270. I kept it for about a week. The screen was way to small to get the immersion that 3D should provide and the shutter glasses were dark and heavy. Darn it!!! I was bummed. We needed a new TV so I got the 55" LG TV/Blueray package deal. It came with 4 pairs of passive 3D glasses. 6 feet back from the TV is just like being in the movie theater. Woohoo. Then I hooked my computer to it just to "see" if 3D gaming was any good on an ATI/IZ3D combo. DOUBLE FRICKIN' WOOHOO!!! Some say 3D stereoscopy is a passing phase. Much like color TV's and automobiles, I say they're right...
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Doon1 View Post
    I started doing 3D about 8 years ago with a 21" monitor and e-dimentional shutter glasses. Loved it..... Two months ago I picked up a 23" Asus/Nvidia package from Ebay for $270. I kept it for about a week. The screen was way to small....
    I hate that when my 23" screens are smaller than my 21" screens too!

Quote Originally Posted by jethro View Post
    I hate that when my 23" screens are smaller than my 21" screens too!
    I guess you missed the part about the projector. That was a 10' screen. I'm sure you can see where the immersion would be lost with a 23"er.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Doon1 View Post
    I guess you missed the part about the projector. That was a 10' screen. I'm sure you can see where the immersion would be lost with a 23"er.
    John
    Not so much. I just bought a 60" tv to replace one of my 50" sets, did not buy a 3d capable set.

I game in 3d in the dark on my three 23.6" sxcreens, am very happy with them.

Just started Trine2, the most amazing 3d graphics I've ever seen in a game. Just stunnning.

Which is not to say projectors and tvs are bad, I've gamed on them as well in 3d.