High End System: Why SSD + partitioned 1.5TB?

I'm considering putting together a system that would be something like the high end system (minus sound and high end video cards) but am wondering about the hard drive setup.

If you have an SSD, wouldn't you have your operating system and most programs on that? Would it still be worth it to partition the 300GB to also be fast? Not that it wouldn't give you a fast second drive, I am just wondering if this was left over "cut and paste" or if I am missing something.

Reality: Playground for the unimaginative.

Re: High End System: Why SSD + partitioned 1.5TB?

Mostly because that 120GB SSD will fill up quicker than you might think, the extra speedy partition on the HDD is nice to have when it does.

This confuses me too... so what's the point of having the 120GB SSD? Are you saying choose one or the other ?

It seems like the SSD is a waste if you put the OS on a 300GB hard-drive partition

Sorry I get it now... I didn't read the key words "when it does" [fill up quicker than you think]. You would only go to the fast partition when your SSD is full. I initially thought the idea was to install your OS and apps on the partition, in which case the SDD seemed pointless.