Thread: SSD Question

SSD Question

Hello Everyone,

I want to get a SSD drive and the sata 3's seem real expensive... if i get a sata 2 (3gb) will i still see a great perfomrance difference or should i just wait until i can afford the sata 3's

Re: SSD Question

Quote Originally Posted by sax View Post
    Hello Everyone,

I want to get a SSD drive and the sata 3's seem real expensive... if i get a sata 2 (3gb) will i still see a great perfomrance difference or should i just wait until i can afford the sata 3's
    In relative comparison to each other or to a spinning disc ?

In relative comparison

These help you out any ?

a little but my question is do i wait to buy a sata 3 ssd when i can afford it or get 2 ssd at sata 2?

Quote Originally Posted by sax View Post
    a little but my question is do i wait to buy a sata 3 ssd when i can afford it or get 2 ssd at sata 2?
    Could you enter your system information into the space for that in your User CP then enable viewing of it? Or could you make a detailed signature listing all of your parts? This will help others answer this and future questions, and you only need to do it once. As an example of the level of detail we need, you can click on my system dropdown or look at some of the other signatures you see here. Thanks.

I think 1 sata 2 drive is fast enough....If it's not then you can decide to purchase another one, or "upgrade" to sata 3
    Last edited by mmettin; 03-27-2011 at 09:46 PM. Reason: added specs request

I am using an Intel® Solid State Drive X25-M 80GB and totally love it. I am getting around a 20 second boot time with my system based around the Intel Core™ I7 2600K. I will never go back to not using a SSD as a boot drive again; they are so much faster than HDDs. So if you can’t afford a new SATA 3 drive like the Intel Enthusiast Solid State Drive 510’s by all means pick up a main stream drive like the new Intel SSD 320’s or even the older X25-M.

Today, Intel has announced the release of the new Intel® Solid-State Drive 320 series. The new 320 series is the follow on to the Intel Solid-State Drive X25-M main stream drives. You can read information on these drives at http://www.intel.com/design/flash/na...s/overview.htm. These are great SATA 2 drives and will have a very attractive price point.

Christian Wood
    Intel Enthusiast Team

Sax, if you're still using a magnetic drive, then yes, you will see a significant improvement in performance with any SSD. Particularly with load times (Windows & apps). Granted the newer ones will be quite a bit faster than previous gen SSD's, but they'll also probably be quite expensive for some time.

Like IntelEnthusiast, I also picked up an SSD (OCZ Vertex II E) and have watched Windows load times drop to 15 seconds. All my apps load way faster than they did on my old 74GB ADFD Raptor. I'll never go back to anything less than SSD now

If you do look at getting an older one, make damn sure it has TRIM support. If you're looking at two older ones, don't bother. You'd be better off with one of the newer ones.
    Last edited by Mjölnir; 03-28-2011 at 01:36 PM.

In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D

The real advantage i see with SSDs are 0ms access time.

My velociraptor has nice transfer speeds but still has like 7ms access time.
    Am planning on getting an SSD in next build, probably when bulldozers are on the market.

ended up getting two corsair performance SSD's 128 put them in raid and ....!!!! what a diference!!!! I plan on upgrading them in the future when i can afford it thanks guys for all your help

In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D

SSDs dont really like RAID.

Maybe its diferent new with TRIM firmware updates, but I remember that performance would actually degrade over time if you RAIDed SSDs

Quote Originally Posted by Poci View Post
    SSDs dont really like RAID.

Maybe its diferent new with TRIM firmware updates, but I remember that performance would actually degrade over time if you RAIDed SSDs
    SSD's with TRIM support require the RAID controller to also have TRIM support in order to use it (as well as the OS having TRIM support), otherwise they will not use TRIM in RAID. That said, some SSD manufacturers have cleanup tools that help restore performance. The idea is to run them periodically. Granted not the same as TRIM, but probably good enough.

If you are running in RAID just log out overnight and GarbageCollector will clean up your drives for you.

I do mine monthly and have never had a slow down problem.
    Asus M8Z77-V Deluxe
    Intel 3770K
    G-Skill 1600 16G
    Corsair H100
    EVGA 670 GTX
    2 Corsair Force 3 120G (Raid 0)
    2 x Seagate 1T 6G
    2 Samsung SyncMaster T260HD Monitors
    Thermaltake Level 10 UGK
    Silverstone Olympia OP1000 1000W
    Windows 8

Never argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.