Help With Upgrade

Hello friends~

My parents have an Asus A8n-SLI delxue motherboard in their system.

They want me to see if I can upgrade it. I was wondering if anyone can make some suggestions on the CPU I should get. It currenlty has a socket 939 Athlon 3200 in it and 1 gig of ram runing windows xp Pro and a Geforce 6600 GT.

They want to run windows 7 and really are not gamers but my younger brother comes back from college every now and again so it would be cool if it could at least compete with whatever he wants to play.

I am looking for your suggestions and maybe links on where to buy. I"ve been out of the computer stuff concentrating on work and life so I hope I havnt put anyone off on giving me some suggestions.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions~

Re: Help With Upgrade

Good luck finding a 939 CPU, but they do exist in dual core flavor (i.e. 3800, 4200, etc...)

Windows 7 needs 2 gigs of RAM to run smooth, ideally 4 gigs. Once again good luck finding ddr1 RAM.

The GPU is directx 9 compatible and could run windows 7 aero. Is it AGP or PCI-E?

For my money, I would gut the system, keep the case, optical and HDD and replace CPU/mobo/RAM to a cheap AMD build with integrated graphics.
    AMD R7 1700x. MSI B350 Tomahawk. 2x8gb Corsair vengeance LPX. Coolermaster Hyper 212 evo. Corsair Carbide 200R. EVGA GTX 970.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeah View Post
    Hello friends~

My parents have an Asus A8n-SLI delxue motherboard in their system.

They want me to see if I can upgrade it. I was wondering if anyone can make some suggestions on the CPU I should get. It currenlty has a socket 939 Athlon 3200 in it and 1 gig of ram runing windows xp Pro and a Geforce 6600 GT.

They want to run windows 7 and really are not gamers but my younger brother comes back from college every now and again so it would be cool if it could at least compete with whatever he wants to play.

I am looking for your suggestions and maybe links on where to buy. I"ve been out of the computer stuff concentrating on work and life so I hope I havnt put anyone off on giving me some suggestions.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions~
    Ive got some ddr memory and an x2 3800 (s939) yours for shipping cost if you would like

Sold mmetin =)

I appreciate the help. pm me with details? Or do I pm you? lol

Quote Originally Posted by Yeah View Post
    Sold mmetin =)

I appreciate the help. pm me with details? Or do I pm you? lol
    PM sent

Reality: Playground for the unimaginative.

Was just about to suggest the Trading Post but mmettin beat me to it