Gigabyte 965G-DS3 RAM issues

Hello everyone and thank you for having a forum with this much information available...that being said, I have a small problem, on which, I'm hoping to get some advice.
    In 2007 I bought a Gigabyte 965G-DS3 Motherboard. At the time, I installed 32 bit Vista so, when I could only install 3 gigs of RAM, I didn't think much of it. I figured it was a Vista thing.
    Flash-forward to today, I had a harddrive fail so I did a clean install of Windows 7 Professional.
    I have 4 slots but, again, it will not boot to Windows with all 4 occupied. It doesn't matter what configuration I have but once I put that 4th stick in, it won't boot to Windows and gets stuck on the Gigabyte screen at the beginning. I can't even get into the BIOS.
    All sticks are Cosair DDR2 800MHZ 1,80 volt RAM.
    I did read somewhere (it may have even been here) that Gigabyte boards won't take a 4th stick of double sided RAM even with 4 slots but that thread was from 2003 and didn't list the model of the board I have.
    Is this still the case? Is there a workaround?
    I'm 50/50 on computer knowledge and built my system with a lot a help though
    So, if I missed a thread here or there are some instructions on what to do, any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

Re: Gigabyte 965G-DS3 RAM issues

Get memtest 86 if your bios doesn't have it built in. Go to the Gigabyte site and check the bios updates. (the 4th DS stick was K8 related) You r problem could be mentioned. Even if not you may want to update your bios

You either have a bad stick or a bad slot. Set bios to failsafe defaults. Remove the sticks, inspect and blow out the slots. Put in 2 sticks dual channel (ps for all 4 sticks to work they must be identical timings and voltage, can be set in bios to slowest stick)) memtest, move sticks to other two slots and memtest again. Repeat with other 2 sticks. If all 4 sticks work set memory speed to 333 in bios load all 4 and see what happens.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Re: Gigabyte 965G-DS3 RAM issues

I am not aware of any overall problems with the DS3 running all four memory slots. I have a DS3 actively running with all 4 memory slots full, running
    w7 32 bit, it had been running Vista 32. My board is version 2.0. If this has not yet been resolved, you might want to check into that. There were at least 3 versions of the DS3. I don't know what bios version I'm running. I suspect it is whatever I installed in 2007 when I bought it and built it. The DS3 has been a bit quirky at times, but as you can see in my sig, it has run quite well all in all over the years.

marty
    Gigabyte P55A-UD4P, Core i7-860 Lynnfield at 3.6GHz, ZALMAN CNPS10X QUIET 120mmCPU HSF, CORSAIR Vengeance (2 x 4GB) DDR3 at 1640, PowerColor HD5870, Earthworks 650W PSU, Samsung 840 EVO 120g SSD (W10 Pro 64-bit), 320G Blue Caviar storage, LiteOn DVD burner, Antec 902 case [B]
    ASRock Z68 Extreme3, i5 2500K OCed at 4.5GHz, CM 212 Hyper Plus, G. Skill Ripjaws 4G X 2 2133 Ram, Samsung 840 EVO 250G, 3Tb Seagate HDD, unknown DVD drive, XFX Double D Radeon HD 7870, PC Power and Cooling 610 Silencer, Fractal Define R4 Case, LG 27" AOC IPS monitor, Win 10 Home 64-bit