Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Joined
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Colorafornia, USSA
    Age
    47
    Posts
    13,825

    First Hitachi goes, now Samsung is throwing in the towel?

    It looks like Samsung has had enough of the HDD business. Once again they blame the success of the Ipad on slow mechanical drive sales.

    http://www.marketwatch.com/story/sam...ort-2011-04-17

    So that will leave us with only WD and Seagate as far as mechanical HDD's go. Hmm, after checking Newegg, it seems they've already stopped selling Samsung. Of course I haven't checked in a while so this might not be a new thing.

  2. #2
    Joined
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Posts
    43

    Re: First Hitachi goes, now Samsung is throwing in the towel?

    It sounds better to blame the ipad rather than SSDs in general. Everyone is leaving the HDD business because they see SSDs as the future. I for one have to wonder about this. HDDs will always provide more storage room at a lower cost. Just don't see them becoming obsolete any time soon.

  3. #3
    Joined
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Central Virginia, USA
    Age
    71
    Posts
    5,302

    Re: First Hitachi goes, now Samsung is throwing in the towel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hardware View Post
    It sounds better to blame the ipad rather than SSDs in general. Everyone is leaving the HDD business because they see SSDs as the future. I for one have to wonder about this. HDDs will always provide more storage room at a lower cost. Just don't see them becoming obsolete any time soon.

    We Hope!!

    Why F@H?? Click me!
    As of 07/28/11
    Oz1a v2.0 >> XFX MDA72P7509 750a, PI X2 8870BE, 2 x XFX GTS250, WD 250GB, F2-8500CL5D-2GBPK, Tt TR2 600W, XP Pro SP3

  4. #4
    Joined
    Aug 2003
    Location
    West Richland, WA
    Posts
    6,397

    Re: First Hitachi goes, now Samsung is throwing in the towel?

    Not sure you can make a blanket statement like "will always provide more storage at lower cost". As more people exit HHDs and more go to SSDs, the SSDs will continue to get cheaper and the HHDs will get more expensive or will just disappear altogether.
    Brian

  5. #5
    Joined
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Posts
    43

    Re: First Hitachi goes, now Samsung is throwing in the towel?

    Quote Originally Posted by bk94si View Post
    Not sure you can make a blanket statement like "will always provide more storage at lower cost". As more people exit HHDs and more go to SSDs, the SSDs will continue to get cheaper and the HHDs will get more expensive or will just disappear altogether.
    First of all its an HDD as in Hard Disk Drive not an HHD.

    Only the bit players are exiting the market. The two largest companies Seagate and Western Digital are not going anywhere. There is a lot of innovation left in them. They've already released 3TB drives. I bet we'll hit 5 TB by 2013.

    I am sure these HDD manufacturers will figure out how to create worthwhile hybrid drives. Seagate tried to do so with its momentus XT but so far its not very fast. In time they will figure out a way to combine the best features of SSDs and HDDs to create drives that are both fast and large. Keep in mind that consumers today are doing exactly that. They are using SSDs for their OS and HDDs for their data storage. So if consumers can do that what's stopping HDD manufacturers from creating a single product that combines the best of both worlds?

  6. #6
    Joined
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    4

    Re: First Hitachi goes, now Samsung is throwing in the towel?

    I think a bigger question would be, five years from now, will there be a need for a $60 3TB drive by the general public. Yes enthusiasts and data pack rats will always be around and we will probably use all that space and more for everyday use, but the majority of users probably won't. I'm not saying that we'll see the use of say 60gb SSDs for the Dell $300 special in 2016 but it won't be multi terabyte drives there either. I'm figuring SSDs in the 120-300GB range.

  7. #7
    Joined
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    7,743

    Re: First Hitachi goes, now Samsung is throwing in the towel?

    Just bought two Hitachi A7K1000's as future replacements for my raid 6 array. Get em while you can.

    Don't know what the future of storage will be, but losing both Hitachi and Samsung hurts.
    Tyan S5397 2x X5450 16GB - SuperMicro H8DCI 2x 275 8GB - Iwill DK8X 2x Opteron 250 2GB


    Take a Kid FISHING!

  8. #8
    Joined
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Posts
    43

    Re: First Hitachi goes, now Samsung is throwing in the towel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryokurin View Post
    I think a bigger question would be, five years from now, will there be a need for a $60 3TB drive by the general public. Yes enthusiasts and data pack rats will always be around and we will probably use all that space and more for everyday use, but the majority of users probably won't. I'm not saying that we'll see the use of say 60gb SSDs for the Dell $300 special in 2016 but it won't be multi terabyte drives there either. I'm figuring SSDs in the 120-300GB range.
    What this argument again? People have been making this sort of argument for decades now. Its been proved wrong over and over and over and over... Ok read up about this:

    Bill Gates (not exactly a noob) is reported to have once said that "640kilobytes of memory should be enough for a PC". Imagine that! 640kb! The point is that 640kb isn't enough, 6GB isn't enough even 6TB isn't enough. There will ALWAYS be a requirement for more RAM, permanent storage capacity, more processing power, larger screens, everything! My first PC had 16MB RAM and a pathetic 1GB HDD. Nowadays cheap <$20 mobile phones have more RAM.

  9. #9
    Joined
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    4

    Re: First Hitachi goes, now Samsung is throwing in the towel?

    No, I think you are misunderstanding what I'm saying. I'm talking Joe consumer who only have enough music to fill a quarter of their mp3 player's memory, the only video they watch is netflix or youtube and the most intensive thing they will do on their platform other than watch occasional videos is powerpoint.

    I simply do not see manufactures just sticking with traditional hard drives for the low end just because it will have more space than a SSD. Then, the movement will be to SSDs because of the speed difference, if not because of a smaller formfactor. If it's going to cost Dell $40 to provide storage irregardless of if it's SSD or HDD I can easily see them choosing the SSD as long as it's a size that consumers are fine with having, and then market it as faster than the competition on startup, ruggedness and on and on.

  10. #10
    Joined
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Posts
    43

    Re: First Hitachi goes, now Samsung is throwing in the towel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryokurin View Post
    No, I think you are misunderstanding what I'm saying. I'm talking Joe consumer who only have enough music to fill a quarter of their mp3 player's memory, the only video they watch is netflix or youtube and the most intensive thing they will do on their platform other than watch occasional videos is powerpoint.

    I simply do not see manufactures just sticking with traditional hard drives for the low end just because it will have more space than a SSD. Then, the movement will be to SSDs because of the speed difference, if not because of a smaller formfactor. If it's going to cost Dell $40 to provide storage irregardless of if it's SSD or HDD I can easily see them choosing the SSD as long as it's a size that consumers are fine with having, and then market it as faster than the competition on startup, ruggedness and on and on.
    The same average consumer has no idea what an SSD is. You think manufacturers are going to spend money trying to explain to him why a 60GB SSD is better than the 2000GB HDD offered by the competition? I very much doubt it.

  11. #11
    Joined
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Colorafornia, USSA
    Age
    47
    Posts
    13,825

    Re: First Hitachi goes, now Samsung is throwing in the towel?

    Quote Originally Posted by smoked trout View Post
    Just bought two Hitachi A7K1000's as future replacements for my raid 6 array. Get em while you can.

    Don't know what the future of storage will be, but losing both Hitachi and Samsung hurts.
    I was eying one of those for an upgrade in a Tivo HD, then I remembered how Hitachi (in cahoots with CompUSA) had once screwed me out of a $50 rebate on a drive years ago. I haven't touched any of their products since. I'll go with one of the WD Greens for only $5 more.

  12. #12
    Joined
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Colorafornia, USSA
    Age
    47
    Posts
    13,825

    Re: First Hitachi goes, now Samsung is throwing in the towel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hardware View Post
    What this argument again? People have been making this sort of argument for decades now. Its been proved wrong over and over and over and over... Ok read up about this:

    Bill Gates (not exactly a noob) is reported to have once said that "640kilobytes of memory should be enough for a PC". Imagine that! 640kb! The point is that 640kb isn't enough, 6GB isn't enough even 6TB isn't enough. There will ALWAYS be a requirement for more RAM, permanent storage capacity, more processing power, larger screens, everything! My first PC had 16MB RAM and a pathetic 1GB HDD. Nowadays cheap <$20 mobile phones have more RAM.
    My work computer has a tiny 80gb HDD, and it's got less than 20gb on it. My wife's computer has a 160gb drive and it's only got 30gb's on it. Even my main computer still has almost 300gb's free on a 50gb drive. It's the same story with everyone I know.

    SSD's will start going into Dell's, HP's, etc, as soon as they become reliable enough. The fact is most people don't need anywhere close to 1TB of storage, much less 500gb's.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •