Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy New Computer, freezes... 2nd Post.

This is My 2nd post, still haven't solve my problem... I have checked Memory with Windows 7 diagnotics and it shows no problem. I have used a free online program called HeavyLoad 3, to put a load on the computer and it seems to do well under a load. Would like to hear from someone with the same mother board, I'm not real great with Bios and stuff like that. here is what I said in my first post....

Hello everyone, With the help of PC Per and the HW leaderboard I built my first computer... I think my skill level from 1 to 10 is around 4 or 5... My main Hardware is...
    CPU.......... Intel Core i7-2600k
    MB............ MSI P67A-GD65
    Memory..... CORSAIR XMS 16GB ( 4 X 4GB ) DDR3 1600
    Power Supply.. Corsair TX950
    Video card... MSI GeForce GTX 460 Cyclone 1GB GDDR5

My problem is that the computer works great 99% of the time. CPU useage always seem to be low... and a core gadget shows Temp in the high 90's F... But every now and then... the computer will just freeze on its screen, can't use mouse or keyboard... I have to hit the on and off button... then it restarts and seems ok again... Also has 4 extra fans... 2 intake and 2 out take... OS is Window 7 Pro 64 bit...

Anyone have a idea how to solve this... or has anyone had these same problems...
    Thanks for everyones Help...

Re: New Computer, freezes... 2nd Post.

sounds to me like some "power saving" things causing issues...

Do you have any screen savers enabled ? spin down the hard drives?

I'd set the power profile to "high performance" or always on and see what happens

In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D

Hows your bios?

Running 64 bit OS?

Roll Eyes Re: New Computer, freezes... 2nd Post.

I was already to give mmettin an award for helping me... I made sure the screen saver was off. I have the power option on high performance. The first time I remember it freezing... I was watching the CBS Master live feed, it froze about 10 min or so into it... So today... I tried ESPN sport feed... I let a scoccer game run for over 20 minutes... I thought my problem was solved... but sometime after that it froze... not sure how long after maybe 5 or 10 min... the CPU useages was always between 1 and 2 %... the core temps were around 104F... In the pass, it also has froze a couple times... just being on IE 9... only 1 or 2 times.. I'm sure somebody will figure this out... Thanks again... for any help...

I'm thinking its possibly a driver issue.

But before we go there, can you "load up" the processor for longer than it took to freeze.

For loading the processor I'd try Intel burn test

http://downloads.guru3d.com/IntelBur...load-2047.html

Do around 20-30 passes and loop it for the required amount of time to see if your system still freezes.

I suspect drivers as well.

A second option could be bloatware, or some form of leech just destroying your bandwidth for long enough to cause a hiccup.

Run Norman Malware Cleaner April 22, 2011 and see if it can snag something obvious.

Also try hitting Start then type in MSCONFIG in the search box. Go to the Startup tab - whats running? For the time being, I would disable everything there. Next go to the Services Tab. Click the Hide All MS Services. What is left that is ticked? Disable all of those.

Reboot.

Test.

Sometimes the malware is obvious and "hidden" right there - and since a lot of these ad-scanners, and data farmers are not viable, tested software, they dont always play nice with others. This is a way to shut them off. Reverse the procedure to turn anyhting back on that you do trust (Virus Scanners most importantly).

Take care.

-=M=-
    Rock the Jukebox:
    2x Intel XEON E5405
    Asus DSBV-DX
    4x Kingston 2Gb FBuffered 667mhz w/4x MemCooler
    FSP 650w PSU
    MS Server 2008 STD

M3ltD0Vvn:
    Intel Q9550 w/Coolermaster Hyper 212 - 2x 120mm
    Asus P5N-D
    2x Transcend 2Gb 800Mhz
    FSP 550w SLI Certified <~~Bullet Proof
    EVGA GTX560Ti SC (Asus 22" 1680x1050)
    MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Roll Eyes Re: New Computer, freezes... 2nd Post.

Well I Thank everyone who is trying to help... it also would be nice to chat with someone that is Sucessfully using MSI P67A-GD65 MotherBoard

I downloaded the IntelBurnTest and this is what I did so far. (Nice Program)
    IntelBurnTest Setting:
    Mode 64 bit Stress Level ( standard ) 1024mb

times to run ( 20 ) Available Ram ( 14118 MB )

Threads ( auto ) Test Sucessfully passed in 633.08 seconds
    Average Line times 24.something... Speed Ave per line 36.something...

Well I hope this is enough info:

everything is running fine... no restart or anything after testing...

THANKS everyone...

Just for the heck of it.. I went back and double the test 40 runs, it took a little over 20 minutes... everything ran Great... and test results were about the same as 20 run....
    Last edited by ramarty; 04-22-2011 at 12:48 PM. Reason: more info...

Do you have the 8 pin power connected to jpwr2 on the motherboard and do you have two 6 pin power cables plugged into the video card? I have used the Microsoft memory test before and it tested some memory clean. I then used memtest86 and it found errors. Memtest86 is free and can be downloaded as a bootable iso.

Smile Re: New Computer, freezes... 2nd Post. Update...

Well just want to Thank everyone... and let you know, that after running Intel Burn Test... Several times.... with great results.... I have been running a live feed from ESPN sports for almost 2 hrs now... on an other tab... and I'm here too at the same time... computer seems to be working great... I'm not sure if the Burn Test did something good to the computer.... But hopefully it keeps working.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to try and help... I let you know if it freezes again...
    Have a great weekend...
    Last edited by ramarty; 04-22-2011 at 10:23 PM. Reason: fix spelling...

Fixed itself?? Well lets hope whatever it was is gone for good anyway. I'm running the same MOBO (MSI P67A-GD65) no issues like yours. What BIOS are you running?
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

AMDscooter, When is come to Bios and stuff like that. I'm a scary novice. I just loaded the OS and things just seemed to set up. I have been to the Bios, several times.... the easy click and go... but haven't seen many places that I would dare change anything. I guess I'm learning as I go.. this was my first build...

don't own a MSi board, but would love to help.

I noticed you are using Memory CORSAIR XMS 16GB ( 4 X 4GB ) DDR3 1600 . If you are running the ram @ 1600mhz, make sure it set to 1.65v or you will have random reboots. Prime 95 and intel burn test are good test programs.

good luck
    Follow Your Bliss

Unhappy Re: New Computer, freezes... Freaked out...

Well the computer didn't fix itself... seemed to be doing well, got brave this morning and tried a few things... My MB came with a disk, that gives you live updateds, and a Control Center etc... So when the live update told me that there was an update for my MB Bios.. I updated and reboot... YIKES... after the reboot you would get a couple moves with the mouse then freeze. After 3 times in a row of freezing. I did a restore point, as of yesterday after I did the intel burn test. It restored and things are calmer. On the Control Center part of my motherboard, I changed the voltage from 1.5 to 1.647 but it always goes back to 1.5. also this is what the control center is telling my about my Ram Speed. not sure what it means... Speed DDR3-1333(667MHz). I've also gone into the Bios... and I don't see where you would change voltage and/or speed of your Ram... Sorry that I'm a pain... but I'm a rookie builder... I guess this is how one learns. Once again, I'm gratefull for everyones Help... Thanks...

I recommend doing the change in the actual bios. As you gain experience, you will fine that software programs will hinder your tweek ability.

I'm betting the Motherboard detected something was off and adjusted the settings accordingly. Cool.
    Follow Your Bliss

Go back into the bios and set failsafe defaults, when that works, set optimal defaults. then you can try your tweaks.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)