Can I turn my Computer into a Router

Hi

Would this work.

Can I Buy a motherboard with 2 Ethernet ports. Get an ADSL card. Connect up the ADSL to the Internet and network two other computers to this computer I am building.

My goal is to have an always on computer (low wattage) that can connect up to 2 other computers when I am home.

If this concept works then I am looking for a motherboard with 2 or more Ethernet ports.

P.S. Are there any motherboards with built in ADSL modems as well..

Thank you..

Re: Can I turn my Computer into a Router

there are many amd and intel with dual lan.

amd
    intel

and i think you can add lan cards to a board to do that too.

then there are these 2 with wireless router.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813186191

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813186180

ud

There are so many options it is hard to know where to start...
    imo you need to decide first on the distro/OS or app that suits you needs and tech level and then build a suitable box.
    In my experience onboard lan don't work very well if at all and you will likely have to get a pair of cheap nic's...
    have a look at this list here ---> wiki/List_of_router_or_firewall_distributions
    And while you are at it, check out the best option for internal dsl modems here ---> Viking Adsl2+

I personally like smoothwall and it runs well even on an old pentium 233 but checkout some of the forums related to the various options and you will get an idea of what works.

The only reason you would need dual nic is to create different physical networks, i.e. isolate them from each other. If that isn't your aim, I wouldn't muck about with the extra nic, just get a little switch. Also, I would avoid integrated wherever possible- allow yourself the option of upgrades and replacing failed parts.

To give you an idea of what's possible in these situations, my box:
    Pentium IIIEB 600 MHz, 256 MB PC133, 1 Intel PCI gigabit- to the home network, 1 Intel PCI 10/100- to the DSL modem, all on an Intel ATX s370 board with an integrated 10/100- to an isolated wireless AP for untrustworthy guests. Power is from a 60W PicoPSU. Running PFSense, this rig has supported up to 10 users while running traffic shaping and a VPN. All of this at a load of around 31 watts at the wall.

PFSense is one of the more resource hungry options around, so for two pcs, you can get away with MUCH less than what I have described. The best thing to do is scrounge up some parts and get to fiddling! Good luck.

NefariousRat I have an old Celeron computer. I might see follow your advice first. Long term I want as small a computer as possible. But I do need to investigate first. thx

For reasons unknown even to me I decided to buy a Dell POWEREDGE 2550 2U rack mount server off ebay for 15 bucks. I havenít picked it up yet and I donít have any real need but I think it may be interesting to make it a wifi and rounter all in one unit. Ideally I would like to slap a pci ADSL2+ and a wifi card and make it a drop in replacement for a shitty router box. Itís a dual core p3 with dual scsi and dual power supplies so I am guessing it could make a pretty bad ass router. I am open to suggestions and will post pics and progress incase someone is interested.

the popular dd-wrt router software comes in an x86 flavor. As long as you have the two nic interfaces. 1 for input from your dsl/cable modem, one for output to a switch.

I used SmoothWall Express for a long time. Pretty easy to set up and maintain.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper