Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rage

Re: Rage

Could get it when price is lower, it's one of those I think. I suppose a demo could help decide.

I have the game Anarchy edition. I mean it looks really good, probably a tad better than BF 3. The thing I don't like is there are no advanced graphics options at all. Just AA, resolution, and brightness. Read this about what Tim Willits has to say about it:

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/rage-n...he-pc-version/

I mean damn I can't even push the game and see how it will run. Using the nvidia or ati control panel to force settings will make it worse I read, major slow down. I really hope they fix it with a patch, because I'm running the game at my max res 2048x1152 even have AA on 8x & its smooth. But I do like the game

It appears that among other things AMD screwed up the first performance driver they released for Rage, but quickly fixed the problem today and Nvidia is doing much the same. I'm not surprised that any new game has problems the first few days much less one programmed in openGL using a radically new engine.

So far I have to agree with the mixed reviews its gotten and would rate it somewhere around 85-90 out of a hundred. Good, but not great. Some aspects of the game are awesome and others mediocre at best. Although its an Id shooter with a mature rating some of the characters have vacuous expressions and dialogue I'd expect to find in a toddler's video game. I'm glad Carmack has been spending time playing console games with his little boy, but this is a bit over the top.

I bought this game thinking it is likely to be one of the last great pixel pushing run-n-gun corridor shooters. It certainly has that potential with a great engine and strong gameplay dynamics, but you might want to wait for the price to come down and modders to get their hands on the SDK.

Well, this looks like ass!

Remember when Id was THE developer of quality pc games? I just hope patches and newer drivers fix this game. As it stands now though, at $60, it's a disgrace.

This is what Giantbomb said about it:

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Shoemaker
    Rage is not Fallout. In fact, it's almost Fallout's direct opposite, strong in the areas where Fallout falters--fast action, lush visuals--and weak at doing what Fallout does well, which is character customization, exploration, and storytelling.
    They gave it 4 out of 5 stars, granted they primarily review console games and have a console-centric perspective, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by kbohip View Post
    Remember when Id was THE developer of quality pc games?
    Yeah, definitely. There was a time when id software was up there in the ranks with your Valve, Blizzard, DICE, etc. This was their first "big" game since Doom 3, not counting Quake Wars (which nobody bought) or the weird Rage iPad game (which came out like a year before the PC game, wtf), and judging by the early reaction, Rage doesn't put id back in the top-notch of game developers.

I pre-ordered it, I have it on my hard drive, playing through Fallout: New Vegas as I am working my way through the DLC that I bought awhile back but never played.
    Last edited by Keven; 10-05-2011 at 03:40 AM.

Hey guys, check out this article I just posted: http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphic...aluation-Day-1

Check out the video on the third page to see my take on the texture pop-up issue.
    Ryan Shrout
    Owner, PC Perspective
    rshrout -at- pcper -dot- com
    --= Follow me on Twitter =--

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Hey guys, check out this article I just posted: http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphic...aluation-Day-1

Check out the video on the third page to see my take on the texture pop-up issue.
    Interesting tidbits there. Sad though, to see a PC gaming great like Carmack selling out like this. The 60FPS lock sounds exactly like the kinds of tricks mobile app designers use on their games to account for the vast differences in SoC's across the mobile landscape.

Unrelated, but related: gotta love the people who think consoles have superior hardware (yes they exist)

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

Just read Ryan's review on this ugly looking game. Watching the video that shows the race in the car makes me think we've been transported back in time to 2006 level of graphics detail, or about the time when the Xbox 360 came out. It looks AWFUL. The problem with these crappy console port games is they never change. Every year the game developers come out with their latest and greatest title, release videos showing how great the graphics are going to look, and almost every time every pc gamer is let down while all the console kids are like "these graphics are so sweet!" Sorry to sound so harsh, but this is where we're at now.

To all those people who bought consoles because "I'm tired of having to upgrade my computer every year or two", games like Rage are the end result of this. It's a brand new game, with graphics from 5 years ago. Pathetic. It's apparent now that this is as good as graphics will be on most every console port until the replacement Xbox or PS3 comes out, which according to MS, will be at least 2015. Want to know what games will look like 5 years from now? See Rage now. Oh and I almost forgot to mention. The other neat thing that consoles have brought pc gamers? Not only do we get the severely dumbed down graphics, we get to pay the $60 console game price now too!
    Last edited by kbohip; 10-05-2011 at 02:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Activate: AMD View Post
    Unrelated, but related: gotta love the people who think consoles have superior hardware (yes they exist)
    I was trolling some PlayStation fanboys on a gaming blog article about Skyrim and they were saying that the PlayStation 3 is more powerful than any gaming computer. (paraphrasing) "The PS3 has the Cell processor which is a supercomputer core and isn't even sold in computers yet." I told them I had a "supercomputer core" too because I have a Sandy Bridge chip and Intel will soon be releasing the Xeon E3 and E5 chips which are SB chips. So, my i7-2600k is about as much a "supercomputer core" as the Cell processor in their PS3.

The PS3 can do some impressive stuff in a distributed network with the Cell processor (folding@home, etc.) but the crappy GeForce 7900GT graphics and the 512MB of RAM are a no-go for me. (Disclaimer: I do own a PS3 and Xbox 360, but only because Microsoft and Sony keep putting out these good console exclusives.)

PC gamers are the wine snobs of the gaming world, but we're right so it should be allowed.

After reading the review of this thing over at Arstechnica, I'll either skip this game completely or wait for the inevitable $5 sale at Steam for it. Great work here Carmack. From the review:

To give you a sense of how ridiculous this game can be, here's a sample mission: my goal is to go to the next town to drop off some supplies. First I have to speak to the mayor, who tells me I need to change out of my conspicuous clothes before he'll talk to me, so I have to find the tailor. No sweat, right? Back to the mayor.

Once I get my new clothes, the mayor says I have to rent garage space and talk to the sheriff. So I do those things, but the sheriff tells me I can't have the supplies that need to be delivered unless my buggy has guns. To get guns, I need to talk to the guy at the race track. After talking to the guy at the race track, I'm told I need to speak to another guy to set up races for the slips to get the guns—when I find that guy, he tells me to speak to his guy so he can schedule the race...

It's absurd and pointless. Why can't the first guy just set up the race? What designer sat down and said that the player should have to track down and speak to FOUR PEOPLE to get to the actual action?

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2011/1...ever-gamed.ars

Lol. Wow. Oh yeah, it's also only about 10 hours long too. All this for $60!

Want bug fixes. I guess will be bug fixes in months or whatever. I can wait.

John Carmack explains why Rage will run better on PC.

“There’s a lot of scenes that really need more than that on there, so a lot of scenes sort of hit an upper limit on the consoles, where on the PC where we can use an 8k by 8k texture for that we can bring in higher fidelity. So even if you’re running the PC version at 720p resolution you’ll get crisper graphics on there.

“If you crank it all the way up to run at 1080p or higher then you can put of twice, probably closer to three times the unique pixels the consoles can.”

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/06/08/e3...-better-on-pc/

This interview wasn't from 2 years ago when the game was still in it's infancy either. Nope, it was from all the way back in June! Either he's pretty clueless as to what's going on over there or there is major problems with the drivers like he's claiming now. Either way, Rage sure made Carmack look like an amateur. Of course the other possibility is he was just blowing smoke up PC Gamer's ass.

It looks like Carmack was blowing smoke up their ass all along. Today in another interview with PC Gamer he basically told them the exact opposite of what he did in June, that the PC is a better gaming experience because it's more powerful. Here's his silly about face comments as of today.

“Nowadays most of the quality of a game comes from the development effort put into it, not the technology it runs on. A game built with a tenth the resources on a platform 10 times as powerful would be an inferior product in almost all cases.”

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/10/08/ca...game-platform/

Compare this with what he said in the June interview.

Ouch, that's pretty damning.
    Ryan Shrout
    Owner, PC Perspective
    rshrout -at- pcper -dot- com
    --= Follow me on Twitter =--

wow. what a jerk. Pass the buck on to AMD's driver revision, then backtrack on your previous statements because you couldn't be arsed to put the effort in to satisfy the fanbase that literally made you what you are today?

whatever man, rage will be a flop. enjoy that john

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present