Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rage

Re: Rage

ID Software? avoid
    Square Enix? avoid

I remember a time when ID and SQUARESOFT made great games/ titles........multiplatform gaming is the problem.

pc exclusives, xbox exclusives and ps3 exclusives are the best way to insure you are getting a decent game these days.
    I don't see any great presidential candidate on the political landscape.

Bush/ Cheney put us in a depression......

Obama amplified it.....bail out bankers, so CEO's can get billion dollar bonuses

all these big businesses the GOP support sell us out and give American jobs to 3rd world countries (they pretend its about taxes, its all about cheap labor)

Quote Originally Posted by Gaming Again View Post
    ID Software? avoid
    Square Enix? avoid

I remember a time when ID and SQUARESOFT made great games/ titles........multiplatform gaming is the problem.

pc exclusives, xbox exclusives and ps3 exclusives are the best way to insure you are getting a decent game these days.
    it was obvious that carmack was losing touch with the industry back when doom 3 came out. hes been putting graphics/tech above gameplay and actual game design for years.

doom 3 was a nice enough looking game for its time, but the actual game design went backwards instead of forwards. they went as basic of a shooter as they could.

call of duty is the madden of fps games. you buy the new releases for the small updates to the series and primarily so you can continue to play with your friends. you don't buy it because its significantly better than the last game. hell its the same game with a few visual tweaks and maybe some different weapons and perks.

funny carmacks comments, because they became big by pretty much creating the fps. they did something new, different, and it was a hit. now days they just look at other games, say oh people like that, its selling lets toss it in our game too and package it with a pretty bow. they will eat it up.

(facepalm)

The first Rage patch is already here. Here's some of the changes:

Implemented workaround for AMD driver crash right after intro cinematic
    on Win 7 32-bit systems.

Disabled UBOs because they are causing animation issues with AMD drivers.
    Don’t allow swap-tear to be enabled on AMD while the extension is not
    exposed because it may crash.

Support for new video settings: “texture cache”, “vsync” and
    “anisotropic filter”

Automatically adjust vt_maxPPF based on the number of available cores.
    Improved performance for SLI cards when GPU transcode is enabled.
    Fix for GPU Transcoding option being disabled after exiting gameplay.
    Added safe mode to restore video settings to default values.
    Allow g_fov to be changed from the RAGE launch options in Steam.
    Server now forwards text chat from clients to all other clients while

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/10/10/ra...-says-carmack/

Wow! 3 whole new video settings!!!!
    Last edited by kbohip; 10-10-2011 at 05:49 PM.

I feel bad for whoever bought rage. rage = the antichrist for pc's
    oh ya port to pc and we'll... let them uh have 60 fps on there nv580's and same gfx as consoles. we have a winner!

Quote Originally Posted by MtRush View Post
    I feel bad for whoever bought rage. rage = the antichrist for pc's
    oh ya port to pc and we'll... let them uh have 60 fps on there nv580's and same gfx as consoles. we have a winner!
    Yeah, I think I'll wait and pick it up on Steam next year for the inevitable pricce of $5.

Really not feeling this game.

The fact that it keeps crashing to desktop and making me repeat large portions of the game doesn't help.

Want to play Borderlands instead?

Yes, getting a major Borderlands/Fallout vibe from Rage.

Rage really is an id shooter. It feels like somebody put fancy textures on Doom 2. In terms of game design, it's really old school and limited.

I do like the weapons. id can make great weapons. The weapons are all different and cool and have an awesome look to them, an awesome 'feel' and awesome sounds. It doesn't have the 17 million guns of Borderlands, but really like Rage's guns.

Wow, it crashed to desktop while I was saving and now not one but two of my save games are corrupt and won't load. I don't know how it corrupted too. Pretty pissed. Rage is trying really hard to make me uninstall it and not play it ever again.

Edit: It crashed AGAIN. Had enough. Maybe I'll try playing it again in a month or so. Really disappointed with this buggy-ass game.
    Last edited by Keven; 10-15-2011 at 12:20 AM.

My first impression of Rage was that id bought some little kid's racing game, threw in everything they could think of, and then pounded away at it for six years until they got something they could sell. The ending sucks, the low resolution textures suck, and all the technical difficulties suck but the game is still good, still getting mostly good reviews, and has already sold over a million copies.

My own guess is Rage was id's big experiment. After 15 years of doing nothing but run-n-gun corridor shooters and multiplayer they were in desperate need of some fresh blood and new ideas. Rage gave them the opportunity to play with endless ideas and perfect a stripped down version of the id tech 5 before going back to what they do best and possibly disappointing their die hard Doom and Quake fan base. Carmack may be a genius, but artistic he is not. The uber geek method of solving such creative issues is often just to try everything imaginable until they find something that works.
    Last edited by wuliheron; 10-16-2011 at 05:30 PM.

The mostly good reviews of this POS all over the internet and the fact that everyone here (ie, the people I trust more) think this thing sucks says everything I need to know about "professional" game reviewers. I don't trust a word they say anymore. People commenting on the PC Gamer review think the author reviewed the game using an Xbox copy for example. Just pathetic.

Okay. I don't know if I can blame my RAGE crashes from when it came out on Rage, considering I now know that my GTX 580 Zotac AMP card was totally screwed and having issues on Dx11 games.

Now that I've fixed that, I've gone back to Rage and it's actually pretty cool! I've gotten to the first town and it's really neat. It's sort of Fallout 3 for Dummies. It's a shooter with some light RPG elements, which I'm okay with. Looks great, well-made. I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Keven View Post
    Okay. I don't know if I can blame my RAGE crashes from when it came out on Rage, considering I now know that my GTX 580 Zotac AMP card was totally screwed and having issues on Dx11 games.

Now that I've fixed that, I've gone back to Rage and it's actually pretty cool! I've gotten to the first town and it's really neat. It's sort of Fallout 3 for Dummies. It's a shooter with some light RPG elements, which I'm okay with. Looks great, well-made. I like it.
    I'll pick it up when it gets below $20.
    Beware liberals with guns.

I finished RAGE. Fun little game. Took me 10 hours, but I did a lot of the sidequests and racing stuff which is optional. I'd say maybe 7-8 hours if you just wanted to do the main-quest stuff. They also give you a BFG gun at the end, in true id software style. Okay game. I'd give it 4 out of 5 stars if I was being paid to review it.