Internet Speed Issue

Ok, I'm stumped by my internet issue. Maybe you can shed some light on it.

Ping is averaging 11000ms, upload 0.01-0.07, download 0.2-0.4
    Here's the setup: AT&T modem --> Linksys Router --> 2 simple switches --> computers

What I tried:
    1. I plugged in a laptop directly to the modem and speed is back to normal.
    2. I swapped out a cat 5 cable between the modem and router and speed was back to normal for a few minutes, then bad again.
    3. I swapped out the router with a new one and speed was back to normal for a few minutes, then bad again.

So the router is fine. I don't think it's the switches if everything is working fine for a couple minutes. Also, my wireless is fast and then bad again when I tried swapping stuff out.

Any ideas?

Re: Internet Speed Issue

Try changing the cable between the computers and the switches. Or try changing the cable between the switches and the router

I'll try that, but I don't think that's it because when i had my laptop connected directly to the modem, speeds were fine and then went bad again after a few minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by gilberto1 View Post
    Ok, I'm stumped by my internet issue. Maybe you can shed some light on it.

Ping is averaging 11000ms, upload 0.01-0.07, download 0.2-0.4
    Here's the setup: AT&T modem --> Linksys Router --> 2 simple switches --> computers

What I tried:
    1. I plugged in a laptop directly to the modem and speed is back to normal.
    2. I swapped out a cat 5 cable between the modem and router and speed was back to normal for a few minutes, then bad again.
    3. I swapped out the router with a new one and speed was back to normal for a few minutes, then bad again.

So the router is fine. I don't think it's the switches if everything is working fine for a couple minutes. Also, my wireless is fast and then bad again when I tried swapping stuff out.

Any ideas?

I'll try that, but I don't think that's it because when i had my laptop connected directly to the modem, speeds were fine and then went bad again after a few minutes.
    so is it fine or is it normal or are these 2 different laptops?

if they are not ...do you have another PC to plug directly into the modem?

does not sound like the router.
    Last edited by MrFuriousX; 04-28-2011 at 11:46 AM.