Ethernet Modem Hijacked or Faulty?

Hello

A few weeks ago I started having problems with my ethernet adsl modem/router. Download speed would drop to almost nothing and eventually stopped working. I tried every combination of switchoff/replace cable/reinstalled etc. In desperation I bought a wifi dongle and that worked ok. I figured the problem was in the PCs onboard network card and was gonna try a plugin one but before I got the chance I suffered a multiple virus attack (thanks AVG) and the puter just died. It wouldn't even switch on.

So, I built this new one. Ist s/w is Win7, second was every security & all other upgrades from MS. In fact it took about three days for the upgrades to stop appearing. Third install was antivirus (bit defender) and I upgraded that then did a full scan before any other software got anywhere near the machine. I've also scanned every single thing I've connect since and, appart from a few cookies, nothing has been found.

I thought I'd done everything right!

Everything was going fine until yesterday at bootup the found new network window popped up. I clicked home network and all seemed fine till I spotted that taskmanager now quoted my connection speed as 10Mbps instead of the usuall 100Mbps. It doesn't matter that much as my line speed max is only 1Mbps anyway but I hate it when something ain't right.

I did the pull cable reboot reset thing and eventually ended up with 100Mbps but the actuall line speed is rediculous again. The line on the taskmanager graph barely lifts off the stop. It's like there is no connection at all and some pages/programs actuall report as such yet diagnostics can find nothing wrong.

The only thin I cant swap out is the router as I dont have anoth but it seens to be ok.

If I plug the Wifi in that works fine. It only seems to be the ethernet connection that turns to shazbat.

The thing that worries me most is that an apparent problem with the ethernet link is whast turned into a mess last time.

Anyone got any ides what could be changing my link speeds.

Regards

Re: Ethernet Modem Hijacked or Faulty?

What is the rated speed for your adsl service?

My "package" (more of an envelope really) is for up to 1Mbps.

When everythings good I usually get close. 99% of speed tests say my line would only support 1.5 to 2Mbps anyway so there seems little point in paying for any higher.

The thing that puzzles me is that the wifi through the same unit (D-Link G624) works even when the ethernet does not (at least it did till yesterday but that was a dongle problem) so it's gotta be in the ethernet side somewhere.

I just fell for the "your disc is dead" message created by one of the malevolent scum sucking spawn of satan that decided it would be fun to write a virus and ended up spending my holiday fund on a new PC so I can't really afford a new router but if thats what it takes I guess I'll have to do it.

As an aside, I refrained from buying one yesterday as I spent 3 hours researching routers online during which time mine worked faultlessly.

This morning I switched back on, task manager reports the ethernet has dropped to 10Mbps again and it took several attempts to load these pages.

I just don't know what gives.

Have you tried a different network cable?

Yep!

Everything is new except the router, the wall plate and the cabling to the BT master.

Tonight I got an "unknown network" error and no internet so I rebooted and got everything looking normal but just nothing came down the pipe.

Switched to wireless and we're live again.

So, the cabling from the telegraph pole to the router must be ok or the wireless would be pants too. The network interface on the PC is the same age as the PC, ie about 3 weeks so that better be ok or the warranty will get a hammering.

I'm no engineer but to my mind, unless I've been hacked again, that only leaves the routers built in ethernet switch.

I might just have to bite the bullet and buy one. I'm never gonna know until I do.

Oh deep joy!

What model of adsl modem/bridge are you using, as for the Unknown Network Error try adding the ISP's DNS servers to the ethernet adapter.

have you tried changing your link speed in your adapters properties?

its probably set at default to auto negotiate.

The router is the D-Link DSL G624T.

The speed was defaulted to auto negotiate but then it always has been and only started changing recently. I was gonna set it to 100 full duplex but as I'm no network brain I wasn't sure if that would be right so left it at the default till I got some answers.

As for adding the DNS servers to the ethernet adaptor, again I think thats the class above me in the "self taught school" of puters.

I'm trying to find Win7's equivelent to the XP network connections window.

Quote Originally Posted by PC Learner View Post
    The router is the D-Link DSL G624T.

The speed was defaulted to auto negotiate but then it always has been and only started changing recently. I was gonna set it to 100 full duplex but as I'm no network brain I wasn't sure if that would be right so left it at the default till I got some answers.

As for adding the DNS servers to the ethernet adaptor, again I think thats the class above me in the "self taught school" of puters.

I'm trying to find Win7's equivelent to the XP network connections window.
    I don't believe you want to change DNS on the local machine...You should change it at the router

Quote Originally Posted by PC Learner View Post
    Hello

A few weeks ago I started having problems with my ethernet adsl modem/router. Download speed would drop to almost nothing and eventually stopped working. I tried every combination of switchoff/replace cable/reinstalled etc. In desperation I bought a wifi dongle and that worked ok. I figured the problem was in the PCs onboard network card and was gonna try a plugin one but before I got the chance I suffered a multiple virus attack (thanks AVG) and the puter just died. It wouldn't even switch on.

So, I built this new one. Ist s/w is Win7, second was every security & all other upgrades from MS. In fact it took about three days for the upgrades to stop appearing. Third install was antivirus (bit defender) and I upgraded that then did a full scan before any other software got anywhere near the machine. I've also scanned every single thing I've connect since and, appart from a few cookies, nothing has been found.

I thought I'd done everything right!

Everything was going fine until yesterday at bootup the found new network window popped up. I clicked home network and all seemed fine till I spotted that taskmanager now quoted my connection speed as 10Mbps instead of the usuall 100Mbps. It doesn't matter that much as my line speed max is only 1Mbps anyway but I hate it when something ain't right.

I did the pull cable reboot reset thing and eventually ended up with 100Mbps but the actuall line speed is rediculous again. The line on the taskmanager graph barely lifts off the stop. It's like there is no connection at all and some pages/programs actuall report as such yet diagnostics can find nothing wrong.

The only thin I cant swap out is the router as I dont have anoth but it seens to be ok.

If I plug the Wifi in that works fine. It only seems to be the ethernet connection that turns to shazbat.

The thing that worries me most is that an apparent problem with the ethernet link is whast turned into a mess last time.

Anyone got any ides what could be changing my link speeds.

Regards

before you go pulling your hair out in frustration id double check the dsl modem.

ive had 2 bad dsl modems from att thus far and im on my third. the first just up and died completely, the second would work for a while........then speeds would get crappy, and then i would lose network connectivity all together.

i would power down the modem for about a minute, power back up and all would be well. until a few days later it would happen again. i just ended up replacing it with no problems since.

i highly suspect what was happening with the second modem was that it was overheating. the problem is that there was no way to remedy that short of sticking it in dry ice or something it was just a poorly designed modem with inadequate ventilation. i highly suspect it was an old used model that someone had returned for the same reason and att just sent it to me because they didn't want to lose money by sending me a new one.

anyway id double check that first before you go too far.

Moved router to master socket n went wireless per local tech.

Very few problems for a week so wrote lovely reply here giving details/results and lost internet before it got sent.

Now typing quick to say not yet sorted after all before it FUBARs again.

A love technology me!