Thread: Back up itunes?

Back up itunes?

I need to remove a failing HD. All that the person wants from the old drive is his iTunes. I don't really know anything of how itunes works. Do I just copy all his music from one drive to another? If not how do I save all his tunes and still have them work?
    Thanks,
    Butch

Re: Back up itunes?

Just use a linux live cd such as ubuntu for this. You can then copy and paste the music to a pendrive or external hard drive.
    Ubuntu User #15003
    Linux User #448521

AMD Phenom II X4 @ 3.4ghz/8GB DDR3/NvidiaGT430/Ubuntu 11.10

sttubs is offline Always learning something

I've always copied the entire music folder which should include the itunes folder too. After it is all reformatted they will need to download itunes software again & set it back up. I usually hold on to a copy of their stuff until it is set up correctly, just in case.

So all the iTunes music is in the Music folder. I'll take a look. That would really be easy. Seems to easy but makes me happy.
    Thanks Steve,
    Butch

Copy your entire Music folder to a USB 3.0 External Hard Drive, then after re-installation of iTunes go to Edit>Preferences>Advanced>Make sure 'Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library' is checked
    Now highlight all the Artists folders inside the Music folder on your External and drag them into your open music library on iTunes.
    Everything should copy over nicely.