Blu Ray / DVD Software??

With another of my wonderful "OOPSes" on ebay it appears I supposed to be getting an unopened retail LG BH12LS35 Blu Ray burner.

While retail which means it'll have some kind of software, don't think I've ever heard nice words about most of those, sooooooooo.......

Don't want to need a second mortgage, but what would be a nice third party SW to burning and viewing BR & DVD??

Why F@H?? Click me!
    As of 07/28/11
    Oz1a v2.0 >> XFX MDA72P7509 750a, PI X2 8870BE, 2 x XFX GTS250, WD 250GB, F2-8500CL5D-2GBPK, Tt TR2 600W, XP Pro SP3

Re: Blu Ray / DVD Software??

It'll probably come with PowerDVD (I never used the software CD my drive came with). I've used ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre for a couple of years now and I've never had an issue with it.

I recommend ImgBurn to burn disks (including Blu Ray). It works great and it's free.

Strong second on TMT for Blu-Ray playback. If you play your discs from your hard drive, it will play from either folders, or ISOs. The rest will only play from ISOs I believe.

How is TMT for hardware acceleration on Blu-Ray playback? I've tried PowerDVD and it says its using acceleration but it still gets very laggy as I see one core being utilized 100% by some 'mysterious' unidentified process.

Quote Originally Posted by Spankin Partier View Post
    How is TMT for hardware acceleration on Blu-Ray playback? I've tried PowerDVD and it says its using acceleration but it still gets very laggy as I see one core being utilized 100% by some 'mysterious' unidentified process.
    Works great, I have never had stutters at all, either from an actual disc, or from the server. PowerDVD does have better DVD pic quality, however. But I just use WMC for DVD playback anyway.

Hey SP , what videocard are you using with bluray/ powerdvd ?

My Nvidia 9800 GTX+ (see 'My System' for more info as its still up to date ). It seems to play other HD video within Linux without working up a sweat. But I don't end up using anywhere near 25% CPU usage when I do that in Linux.

Seeing as I have to use Windows for Bluray playback, I installed the latest video drivers and then installed the copy of PowerDVD that came with my Blueray reader hoping that I'd be good to go.

The parts of the video that tend to stutter are scenes where there's panning, zooming, or simply a lot of action. Effectively when ever theres a lot of data for the hardware to process.

Using powerdvd and nvidia card I see very low cpu use on a dual core. Buttery smooth on bluray. Though that's with powerdvd 9 ultra version, not sure how the powerdvd oem was when I first got it.
    I have read some with issues say it got better when hardware acceln was turned off ??

I'll try shutting down hardware acc. to see if that helps at all.

Its a shame. I bought two Bluray disks, one plays well and the other stutters. Until I know why and/or how to fix it, I'm not going to be buying too may new disks if there's a risk they wont work.