electric screwdriver

I want one for building a PC. what brand/model do you recommend? Low torque for the screws.

Re: electric screwdriver

I think I would feel safer not using an electric screwdriver on electronics.
    Brian

Yea, I think I prefer the old style of screwdriver when I work on computers too...

Rock the Jukebox:
    2x Intel XEON E5405
    Asus DSBV-DX
    4x Kingston 2Gb FBuffered 667mhz w/4x MemCooler
    FSP 650w PSU
    MS Server 2008 STD

M3ltD0Vvn:
    Intel Q9550 w/Coolermaster Hyper 212 - 2x 120mm
    Asus P5N-D
    2x Transcend 2Gb 800Mhz
    FSP 550w SLI Certified <~~Bullet Proof
    EVGA GTX560Ti SC (Asus 22" 1680x1050)
    MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Quote Originally Posted by timh5 View Post
    I want one for building a PC. what brand/model do you recommend? Low torque for the screws.
    The best (Not the cheapest) I have found is the Hitachi DB 10L http://www.hitachipowertools.com/ind...?d=2,307&p=680

Lightweight, adjustable Torque, Good battery Life, will also work as a drill on light weight stuff. I use it all the time to work on computers, just use common sense and use it where appropriate.
    Last edited by curlysir; 05-04-2011 at 10:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by curlysir View Post
    The best (Not the cheapest) I have found is the Hitachi DB 10L http://www.hitachipowertools.com/ind...?d=2,307&p=680

Lightweight, adjustable Torque, Good battery Life, will also work as a drill on light weight stuff. I use it all the time to work on computers, just use common sense and use it where appropriate.
    that's like using a sledge hammer to build a picture frame!

is the op going to be assembling off the shelf parts or modding? i guess if you're doing modifications something like that would be a good idea.

i have seen some motorized precision screw drivers around. home depot has a husky branded one that looks like it may work.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...0&marketID=234

10 bucks, not bad, seems to have good ratings. seems like it'd work with other precision bits you might already have as well.
    Corsair 800D / Corsair TX750 PSU
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 / Win7 Pro
    Intel i7 2600k @ 4.4ghz (44 x 100) + Corsair H100
    Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 x 16GB
    2 x XFX R9 280x + 3 x Asus VS24AH-P 24" IPS 1920x1200
    Samsung 840 Evo 250GB OS + 2 x 1TB WD Caviar Black

The member formerly known as SuBX3r0 HEAT

I had an electric screwdriver that I got for free with something else that I bought from Lowe's. I thought it was pretty cool until it broke a month later. I never got another.

As another election draws near; the G.O.P. are yet again filled with a stupid confidence that the they will win the White House. What they don't realize about people like Trump, Carson, and Cruz is that their rhetoric only resonates within an echo chamber, but not the American people. They live in an illusion of falsehood and distorted truth and only seek information and opinions that confirm these beliefs and instantly reject anything that contradicts them because only their opinions matter. Their notion of freedom is freedom for themselves and those alike to them, but not the rest of the country which has changed.
    These are the reasons why the G.O.P is set to lose in 2016. And when that happens, rest assured that they will have myriad of conspiracy theories blaming everyone and everything from the liberal media, to Oprah, to welfare moms, and pretty much everyone but their own disgusting selves.

http://www.generaltools.com/-500--Co...er_p_1258.html

I seen this one in a popular mechanics recently.

Edit: Some info..

General's Cordless Power Precision Screwdriver is ideal for ultra-delicate applications such as computer and electronics repair, hobbies and crafts.
    The 100+ RPM motor features forward and reverse controls, and the quick-change chuck allows for effortless swapping between 1/8" Slotted, Phillips and Torx bits.
    An ergonomic handle design provides multiple grip positions to accommodate a variety of working situations.

• Cordless Precision Screwdriver
    • 10+ hours of power
    • 100+ RPM motor with forward and reverse controls
    • Super-torque drive
    • Quick-change chuck
    • Ergonomic design allows for various comfortable grips
    • Precision bit assortment (1/8” drive)
    • Phillips:
    #1, #0
    • Slotted:
    1/16”, 1/8”
    • Torx:
    T5, T6

Applications:
    • Electronics repair
    • Computer & printer repair
    • Office equipment repair
    • Small appliances repair
    • Hobbies
    • Model building
    • Watch & jewelry repair
    Rock the Jukebox:
    2x Intel XEON E5405
    Asus DSBV-DX
    4x Kingston 2Gb FBuffered 667mhz w/4x MemCooler
    FSP 650w PSU
    MS Server 2008 STD

M3ltD0Vvn:
    Intel Q9550 w/Coolermaster Hyper 212 - 2x 120mm
    Asus P5N-D
    2x Transcend 2Gb 800Mhz
    FSP 550w SLI Certified <~~Bullet Proof
    EVGA GTX560Ti SC (Asus 22" 1680x1050)
    MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

I had a look into these a while back. The biggest issue IMO is that most small battery powered screwdrivers most often don't have variable speed and/or torque settings. I prefer variable speed on delicate tasks. Too easy to accidentally leave a driver on the wrong torque setting and strip threads without it.

Quote Originally Posted by curlysir View Post

A sensible option (IMO the best suggestion so far) - goes right down to 1nM (~9 in/lb) of torque and has variable speed trigger. Definitely better than most of the drivers that I've seen people use or recommend. The Makita FD01W (aka DF030DWE) and Bosch Blue PS20-2A are essentially the same. Another interesting one is the Bosch Blue PS10-2A. But they're all quite heavy for this pupose...

Bosch, Makita, Hitachi and a few other manufacturers also put out ~3.6V-4V drivers. Much lighter but they tend to lack variable speed. Dremel did have the Dremel Driver, but they've since discontinued it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandito View Post
    that's like using a sledge hammer to build a picture frame!
    Nope. Note that the torque rating is a maximum only and also listed as in/lb, not ft/lb. Nowhere near as powerful as the 14V and 18V drills/drivers you'd be used to seeing.

Anyway, this is my preference: Stanley Cushion Grip 2pt x 150mm Phillips. Excellent tips.
    Last edited by Mjölnir; 05-27-2011 at 03:14 PM.

This wins

Quote Originally Posted by no2guncntrl View Post

This wins
    Agreeed! LOL I totally missed the point when I first read this thread. Saw the pic and thought "what the...?"

FYI, the General screwdriver that mpulliam talked about in his post is on sale for half off ($9.98) at Lowes right now.

http://www.lowes.com/webapp/wcs/stor...ewdriver%20500
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Edmund Burke

RIP PCPER TLR
    7-14-19

This what I use works like a charm.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CF4Q8wIwAg
    Case Lian Li LanCool PC-K62 PSU Corsair HX850 Motherboard EVGA X58 E757 Video Card EVGA HD 570
    CPU Intel I7 930@3.5GHz Cooler CoolerMaster V8 Memory 6GB(2GB x 3) GEIL BLACK DRAGON PC3 12800
    DVD Drive LiteON DH401S DVD Burner LG GH22NS50 System Drive 60GB SSD Mushkin Callisto
    Additional Storage 300GB VelociRaptor 74GB Raptor Seagate 1.5TB Operating System Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
    Soundcard SB X-FI XtremeGamer Fatal1ty PCI-E Headphones Razor Barracuda