Thread: Servers

Question Servers

Ok, I have a quick question. Can I use 1 computer as both a web server for site development as well as a file server for all my connected devices at home?

Re: Servers

If you mean what I think you do... then yes, I'm doing it right now.

But obviously keep in mind: security and all that such. Keep track of how many doors you leave open and how much damage can be done by someone barging in them.

Thank you for helping me out. I want to get into web design and thought it would be beneficial to have my own web server to help develop sites. And I have several movies that i've put on hard drive that i can stream to my home theatre and laptop... I just wasn't sure if i could use one machine to do both. Thanks for the tip about security. I'll be sure to do some more looking about security options before I install everything. Thanks again for your help.

If you're just doing your web developing from at home, then there is no need to have the webserver accessible from the internet. In this case, I'd set up the webserver normally, but I wouldn't poke any holes in my router's firewall. Thus keeping the webserver accessible *only* the local network.