PCIEX16 vs. PCIEX8

My computer won't boot to the OS if the graphics card (nvidia 430GT) is in the 16x slot, but works fine in 8x slot. Will there be a difference in performance? Also, if anyone here has any experience with mobos with 2 video slots, is there something in the BIOS I need to know so I can use the 16x slot?
    Ubuntu User #15003
    Linux User #448521

AMD Phenom II X4 @ 3.4ghz/8GB DDR3/NvidiaGT430/Ubuntu 11.10

Re: PCIEX16 vs. PCIEX8

I got it figured out. There is a setting in Advanced BIOS Settings called Init Display First. In order to use the pciex16 slot, I need to have it set to PEG. Peace.
    Ubuntu User #15003
    Linux User #448521

Good to hear you got it fangered out. But to answer your 16x vs. 8x question... the difference is less than 1%. Current video cards hardly tap the bandwidth available on that bus.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

Quote Originally Posted by AMDScooter View Post
    to answer your 16x vs. 8x question... the difference is less than 1%. Current video cards hardly tap the bandwidth available on that bus.
    Yeah, I found some bandwidth comparisons that showed not much difference. But a bigger reason for me to use the top pciex slot is because the video card was practically touching my pci tv tuner card and didn't have much room to breathe.
    Ubuntu User #15003
    Linux User #448521