Question Grub will not intall AHCI SSD drive, any ideas why?

I have a Biostar/AMD/Win7 box I build in Sept '09. I wanted to try Linux for the first time since I added a SSD a few months ago. The live CD boot OK and the install seems to complete but upon reboot it goes straight to Win7 without a sign of grub.

I have tried Ubuntu 10.10, Mint XFce, Kubuntu 11.04, an Arch 2010.05 discs that I had laying around but none of them can seem to stick grub on the SSD. I have noticed that some of them show the SSD as the second disc and others as the first disc.

This is the first time I have tried to use grub with AHCI. Have I missed something?

Re: Grub will not intall AHCI SSD drive, any ideas why?

Did you tell the installers to install GRUB onto the MBR (Master Boot Record) of the drive? Otherwise GRUB will be installed only on the partition that the /boot directory resides. If its on the partition, then you'll need to have another boot loader point to that partition in order to get it to boot (a technique called chainloading).

Otherwise, there shouldn't be an issue using SSD drive or AHCI mode.

Yep, AHCI and trim are linux supported for some time now. Installing the bootloader can get tricky with multiple drives. Check out the map command. You'll need to manually configure this one. Very easy, though. You could drop kick it and it would suddenly start working.
    ...Does anybody else feel like Congress simply bailed themselves out? Isn't that what they really mean by a bailout?

Plus whichever drive you installed grub on needs to be your first drive in the boot order. If you disconnected your Windows drive, [which is something I would have done] during the Linux install, then you need to add the chainloader entries for Windows to the bootloader using the command line after fixing your boot order. Plus as stated already you may need to also add map commands to it. Just copy exactly what they say. Get some examples of menu.lst files to look at.
    ...Does anybody else feel like Congress simply bailed themselves out? Isn't that what they really mean by a bailout?

Yes I have specified grub to be installed on the SSD. The SSD apears to be the first drive in the boot order because Win7 takes off and is up in less than a minute. That could not happen if it was booting of the WD green. I did not disable, disconnect, or otherwise block the SSD.

I used Linux off and on since 1999 and this is the first time I have tried to install a AHCI drive chain. I have done several multiple BIOS IDE ATA discs installs in years past. I would have thought that one of the four discs would have worked this out by now. Ubuntu and Mint probably use the same boot installer tools but Arch was not. Maybe I should grab a Fedora and Open Suse iso and see if they have the same problem. I haven't see Fedora since Fedora 6 anyways.

Thanks, this should have worked.

Well I downloaded openSUSE KDE version and I was able to get it to install. I still don't know why kubuntu and Mint didn't work but this is a start. I haven't used SUSE since 2005 I will give it a try for a while.

Thanks,

pben
    Manhattan, KS

Open Suse may be still on Grub1 whereas Grub2 is increasing adopted by newer distros. Grub2 was first factory shipped by Ubuntu.

If Grub has been specified on SSD then it will only boot up if the SSD is the first bootable disk in the Bios. The fact that A MS Windows on a hard disk booted first indicates the user has not got the disk order the way he/she thought.

Arch, Kubuntu, Mint and OpenSUSE all use Grub2. Most of the current mainstream distros have moved to Grub2. I still haven't been able to get any of the Ubuntu variants to install on my PC. OpenSUSE doesn't have this problem. The weird thing is that the WD spinning drive is shown as sda and the SSD as sdb. Windows would never boot on a second disc.

If I install a Unbuntu variant now I get a broken grub prompt. Then I reinstall OpenSUSE and I can boot win7 or suse. I have a feeling that win7 messed up the partitioning when I used it to format the SSD. Well I guess I will use SUSE for a while and blast everything off in come autumn. Reinstall Win7 and Ubuntu when 11.10 comes out. I am digging KDE, this is the first I have used it since the disaster of KDE 4.0.

I have put MS Systems in 2nd, 3rd and 4th disk before. They boot from whatever disk we install. This is the owner's right!

Both Grub1 and Grub2 can be instructed to change the disk order during boot time. This is one of the feature of Grub.

Grub2 can read a NTFS partition too and I have it installed inside Win7's \boot subdirectory which also holds the Xp and Win2k boot loader NTLDR.

You can also instruct Win7's bootmgr to boot Grub and fire up any Linux. It can boot 100 Linux if you got them.
    Last edited by saikee; 06-08-2011 at 07:27 PM.

I think that's just the trouble with Linux sometimes: over-automation causes it's own set of problems just like minimal automation creates the need for more administration.