AM3 Build for a AMD Guy

Hi All

A friend asked me to build him a AMD system that he could use for the next 3-5 years.He doesnt want intel even tho i explained it would be better, so i would just like some assistance(nothing has been bought yet), my biggest problem is deciding on the case.

Specs.....

MSI 890FXA-GD70 = $170
    MSI N580GTX-M2D15 OC = $545
    AMD Phenom™ II X6 1090T = $203
    2x Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB SATA III = $112(for Raid 0)
    Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB SATA III = $72(storage)
    Sony 12x Super Multi Blu-Ray Writer (SATA) = $102
    Corsair HX750W PSU = $181
    Corsair CMX8GX3M2A1600C9 XMS 3 8GB = $116
    Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus = $30
    Antec Dark Fleet DF-30 Chassis = $106(not more than $120 for the case and mus have blue led fans preferably black interior 2)
    Shipping and insurance = $32

SSD's are just so expensive still thats why i dont have 1 in but could mayb drop 1 of the 1TB drives and get ssd as boot nd 1 TB for apps and games
    OPtions atm are:
    Kingston 64GB SSD V+100 SATA 2.5 = $160
    Corsair CSSD-V64GB2-BRKT 64GB Nova Series = $150
    2nd option for card which i think would be better
    ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II graphics cards = $589 (would take system over budget)
    im in south africa so things are abit more expensive here becoz of import costs. So im on a $1700 budget.
    Last edited by James01ec; 05-21-2011 at 07:02 AM. Reason: change budget for case
    Power! i need more....

Re: AM3 Build for a AMD Guy

get something that installs hard drives 90 degrees turned. it is better for airflow as well as looks and tidiness.

How about a Zalman Z9 or a Fractal Design R3? R3 is more expensive and suited for a dead silent rig. Z9 is about half the price. you can buy new fans if you must

I wonder why you are getting a GTX580 if you want an AMD rig. get couple of 6950's, unlock them to 6970 and you have a must faster video subsystem for the same price as the GTX580. just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Anusha View Post
    get something that installs hard drives 90 degrees turned. it is better for airflow as well as looks and tidiness.

How about a Zalman Z9 or a Fractal Design R3? R3 is more expensive and suited for a dead silent rig. Z9 is about half the price. you can buy new fans if you must

I wonder why you are getting a GTX580 if you want an AMD rig. get couple of 6950's, unlock them to 6970 and you have a must faster video subsystem for the same price as the GTX580. just saying.
    Yeah u knw what can i do this guy wants AMD cpu and Nvidia Graphics thats wat hes grown up with and change is bad for him(at least to intel that is).... but ja not going thru with this build as rumors are that Bulldozer mite be out in the next month or so... but in any case would the z9 fit a gtx580(could go with sli 570's but supposidly they blow up), O nd yeah we dnt have access too fractial cases....
    Power! i need more....

sttubs is offline Always learning something

The motherboard you chose would not support SLI, only Crossfire. Otherwise that is a solid build with tons of storage.

Quote Originally Posted by sttubs View Post
    The motherboard you chose would not support SLI, only Crossfire. Otherwise that is a solid build with tons of storage.
    Awesome thanks for pointing that out, do any of the AMD boards support sli?, think its only officially supported on the new 9xxx chipset right....
    Power! i need more....

Quote Originally Posted by James01ec View Post
    Awesome thanks for pointing that out, do any of the AMD boards support sli?, think its only officially supported on the new 9xxx chipset right....
    that is correct
    "The Lord Is My Shepherd, I Shall Not Want"
    PS:23

P5Q Deluxe
    Intel QX 6700
    8 GB OCZ
    60 GB Vertex drive
    ATI 5850
    SILENCER 610 WATT

In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D

Tell your friend to wait another month till bulldozer is realeased.