Problem with Linksys E4200 showing up incorrectly in Network?

I just purchased the newly released Linksys E4200.

Setup was fine, and network connection was established.

However, when I view my network in Windows, the E4200 will always show up as a network device with the name "Linksys E4200", no matter what name I chose to rename the device. The E4200 is showing up as at least two devices -- one with the name I chose, and the other as "Linksys E4200" (under "Network Infrastructure" category). I tried turning off all Media Server/FTP/Storage featuree, and yet this device (and its name) still shows up.

Why is there a duplicate? Why doesn't this device use the name I chose? The E3000 does not have this problem. Help!
    Last edited by to1337ca; 05-27-2011 at 02:26 PM.

Re: Problem with Linksys E4200 showing up incorrectly in Network?

http://homecommunity.cisco.com/t5/Wi...or/td-p/380217

This Cisco forum article might shed some light on the settings. One that stands out is some sort of Guest account feature that can be turned off that might be causing you to pick up a 2nd network device.

Click here to visit Onetech's website
    Popup blocker advised!

"Cutting edge technology is for those who like to bleed." Onetech

Re: Problem with Linksys E4200 showing up incorrectly in Network?

Quote Originally Posted by to1337ca View Post
    I just purchased the newly released Linksys E4200.

Setup was fine, and network connection was established.

However, when I view my network in Windows, the E4200 will always show up as a network device with the name "Linksys E4200", no matter what name I chose to rename the device. The E4200 is showing up as at least two devices -- one with the name I chose, and the other as "Linksys E4200" (under "Network Infrastructure" category). I tried turning off all Media Server/FTP/Storage featuree, and yet this device (and its name) still shows up.

Why is there a duplicate? Why doesn't this device use the name I chose? The E3000 does not have this problem. Help!
    The e4200 has dual bandwiths so it creates two separate wireless networks Ė one for 5 GHz, and a second for 2.4 GHz. Since I only wanted to manage one network, I changed the settings for both the 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz bands to be identical. Doing this didnít cause a problem, and I was able to connect both wireless-N and wireless-G devices to the different frequencies without any problems.