Unhappy MSI Z68a-GD80 Not fully baked

I pulled the trigger and picked up a new MSI Z68a-gd80 with a i5-2500k from NewEgg. I'm currently on my second MB dealing with the same screwed up on-board video issues. The DVI output is messed up with a lot of "noise" and very low resolution. Installing a discrete video card is a work around, but that's not acceptable when you drop $235 on a board like this.

MSI to their credit have been quick to respond to my on line calls for help. They sent me a new bios file to install, but it had no effects + or -.

My word or warning to anyone thinking of buying this board is to hold off.

I chose MSI mainly for their sponsorship of the PC per podcast. I had high expectations for this system, so dealing with this problem has been a huge let down.
    Last edited by cosmictrucker; 05-29-2011 at 09:04 PM.

Re: MSI Z68a-GD80 Not fully baked

I found you! I was reading your reviews at Newegg. I also posted a review there as "Jeremy P." and will be dismantling my new PC to RMA this board because of problems with the on board DVI. I do have a discrete card but the reason I waited for this board was to take advantage of Virtu and not have the GPU powered if I wasn't using it.

You said you were getting noise and low resolution with the on board DVI port? I was not getting any video output at all when connecting my monitor directly to the DVI port, the HDMI port was fine. I did confirm if I used a DVI to HDMI adapter, and connected the motherboard's DVI output to my monitor's HDMI input, I would get video.

Could you post what components you were using with this board, I'm wondering if there is some common denominator between those of us experiencing issues with the DVI output on this motherboard. Also, could you share the BIOS file MSI sent you to see if has any effect for me?

My related components are:
    CPU: Core i7 2600k
    RAM: Corsair Vengence (2x4GB) CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B
    Video Card: ASUS EAH6870
    Monitor: ASUS VE247H (has DVI, HDMI, and VGA inputs that can be switched through)
    PSU(doubt this would effect video): Seasonic X Series 650w

edit: Some more testing.

Since a DVI to HDMI adapter works, I decided to try a DVI to VGA adapter connected to the motherboard's DVI output and my monitor's VGA input. This also displays video. After this discovery I decided to try the only other display I have with a DVI input that I could connect directly to the motherboard, my TV. Guess what I'm using to type out this edit. Yup, a Samsung DLP TV.

So the DVI port does indeed output a signal, but in my particular case there is some weird incompatibility going on between this motherboard and my desktop monitor. It just doesn't make sense as to why either of these two components won't play nice with each other.
    Last edited by JeremyP; 06-05-2011 at 05:47 AM.

Hi Jeremy.

I'm sorry for the long delay in responding. If you followed my feedback on Newegg.com, then you may already know I found the problem to be a "just loose enough" DVI connection at my monitor. I'm still not sure why the DVI cable worked while plugged into a discrete graphics card and not the motherboard, but that was the issue. I figured since I had proper video output via the card, then there wasn't a problem with the cable, or connections.

It wasn't until I purchased a third MB of a different manufacture and still had the same on-board DVI video issue as with the MSI boards I then began a closer and frantic search for the "real" problem. I found the problem with the DVI connection at the monitor. I simply had to seat the plug just a little more firmly and like magic, the screen cleared up. My guess is there was a pin or two not making full contact to cause the poor video.

Let's say a lesson learned. A bit embarrassing, but since the video worked fine via this very same cable on another system and also with the new MSI boards, but only with a discrete video card, I focused on the MB as the problem.

The MSI board did impress me with some wicked speeds at default settings. I'm looking forward to reinstalling the MSI board and giving it a solid workout.

My tip is to know there are two different DVI cables. One will have a solid row of pins. This is the cable I'm using, and the extra pins are analog pins. The other DVI cable doesn't have a solid row of pins, but has a gap in the center, with the analog pins deleted. If anyone else is experiencing odd video issues using the DVI output, then look into changing cables or make sure the pins aren't bent and the plugs seat properly.

Thanks

Thanks for responding. I read your follow up about it being your monitor connection. This is definitely not the case for me. I've tried 2 different DVI cables, both producing ZERO video output when connected to the on board DVI. It sounds like you had poor quality video while I had none. I RMA'd the board for a replacement as a last resort. If the replacement doesn't fix the issue, I'll just keep using it with my discrete card.