Tried to install more memory - laptop won't turn on now

Hi I have a laptop with two 1gb memory modules.

I bought the proper (or so I thought) memory module from crucial, except this one was 2gb, I was hoping for better performance.

I installed the new 2gb memory module alongside with one old 1gb module for a total of 3gb. The laptop wouldn't turn on (light came on but nothing on screen).

I replaced everything like it was originally and it works. Why would this new memory module not work?? Is it because I have to have two 2gb memory modules at once, to match??

Laptop: Compaq Presario CQ56-115DX

the 2gb memory module:
    http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartsp...8B01A3A5CA7304

thank you for helping

sttubs is offline Always learning something

Re: Tried to install more memory - laptop won't turn on now

Make sure that the new module is in the slot closest to the motherboard. Maybe your laptop does not support the 2gb module or you could have a bad module. You should download Memtest86 & run it. You will need to download the iso file & burn it. Before using make sure that your laptop is set to boot from the CD/DVD as it runs before Windows boots. Replace the suspect stick in the slot closet to the motherboard, leave the 1gb out. & restart.

Resolved Re: Tried to install more memory - laptop won't turn on now

Quote Originally Posted by adaptusaaf View Post
    Hi I have a laptop with two 1gb memory modules.

I bought the proper (or so I thought) memory module from crucial, except this one was 2gb, I was hoping for better performance.

I installed the new 2gb memory module alongside with one old 1gb module for a total of 3gb. The laptop wouldn't turn on (light came on but nothing on screen).

Your laptop must not be able to upgrade the new 2GB memory module, that might be one of the reason, why it wasn't working. What you can do at this stage is just un-install all the modules, or even format your laptop once i possible and then try the installation. It will take this time. Because there is no other reason why its not working. This should help you.
    Last edited by Jamesbush; 09-10-2011 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Extra information was to be added