M2N SLI Deluxe bios help needed please

Hello, new user here to this sight with a problem. I decided to upgrade from a 7750 Kuma to an X4 940 on my M2N-SLI deluxe. I don't recall the original bios. This thing was stable on the Kuma, but upon installing the X4 940, the cpu was UNKNOWN. OK, flash the bios right? I learned long ago NOT to flash ANY bios from Windows environment. Use the Asus EX-Flash in TOOLS in bios. The flash seemed to go well, and it passed post (or so it seemed) just once. Now, It freezes or hangs or simply shows no video at all. Here's the bios I used ( http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1525839/Bios/1802AM3.BIN ). When it DID boot, I was able to see that it now recognizes the Phenom 940 correctly. But it freezes in a very short time, maybe 2 seconds, maybe 10 seconds. Not enough time to reflash. So I pulled the X4 940 out and put in a low power X2 4850e. I tried swapping know good ram from my M2N-SLI and my M2N68-AM Plus. I tried different video cards (all PCI-e), I even tried with an old 3800 Sempron. I don't have an old PCI video card,,,yet. I know to clear CMOS, pull battery, wait, wait some more. ANYBODY got any ideas? Is this thing now a doorstop? Is the bios chip replaceable? It doesn't look like it's in a socket. I think I've read just about every post on every websight, and I still see no plan for fixing this...what am i missing. Many thanks.

Re: M2N SLI Deluxe bios help needed please

i can't think of anything you've missed. here's an option.

http://www.badflash.com/

ud

I know to clear CMOS, pull battery, wait, wait some more.
    Are you moving the jumper ? Or just waiting a short time with battery removed ?

1. Unplug the PC from the wall.
    2. Remove the battery
    3. Find the CLRTC jumper.See manual for location, and pin position where to move jumper (usually from pins 1&2 to pins 2&3),
    Leave for 5 or more seconds and move back to pins 1&2.
    4. Reinstall battery, plug computer back in.

Here's how I do it...right now it's set-up on bench. not in the case. it sits atop a plain cardboard shipping box. I turn off the power supply, discharge any remaining electricity by pushing a power switch couple times, pull the 24 pin power connector AND 4-pin aux, move the jumper shunt to clear CMOS, pull CMOS battery, remove ram, remove video card. Go have a cup of coffee, or take a leak if I've had too many coffees already, in other words, wait a couple minutes. Reassemble. Sometimes it'll boot, sometimes not. When it does boot, it freezes in a few seconds. Doesn't matter which processor, video card, ram, or power supply. I've even swapped heatsink/fans and keyboards. The only thing constant is the motherboard.

I checked that badflash site. Good to have another option, but I read on their site "If the PLCC part is soldered to the board (see photo) the bios cannot be reprogrammed and the board is rendered useless."

I may contact them anyway. I've purchased pre-programmed chips from a vendor on evilbay. Different type (removable) chips for different boards and I've always had success. That same vendor shows replacement chips for this board, but....Is it replaceable? I looked, I don't think I have the eyes or the hands to do this kind of repair if it's soldered to the board. Replace caps,,,yes,, only two solder points. This chip is way more than two solder points.
    Last edited by AKHomade; 06-06-2011 at 11:10 AM.

Try with just one stick of memory to see if it posts.

1 stick of memory,,,been there, done that. GOOD NEWS. I BELIEVE I GOT IT!
    I started a support ticket with Asus, the websight also had a link for nearby service centers...believe it or not there was one about an hour away. but too late to go to today. I kept at it tho. I knew it wasn't completely dead because it'll boot about 65% of the time. So here's how i got it up and running. Asume you have already shunted the CMOS pins, removed everything including battery to bare board. I dunno how long before I came back to it...maybe couple hours.
    1. put CMOS shunt in normal position
    2. install cpu and heatsink/fan
    3. install battery
    4. install one stick ram
    5. install video card (mine did not require 8-pin PCI-E connection)
    6. plug in 24-pin THEN 4-pin AUX connections
    7. plug in keyboard
    8. plug in preformatted (ready to use) USB flash drive with choice of bios
    9. turn on power supply (watch keyboard lights, hopefully will flash for a long second)
    10. push power button (again watch keyboard lights, hopefully will flash again signaling a boot beginning.
    11. If keyboard lights and signal is being sent to monitor, IMMEDIATELY begin tapping F1 key.
    12. If ya got this far, you'll eventually see the "C" prompt. type AWDFLASH and begin normal flash process.
    13. After flash, turn off power supply and remove 24-pin and 4-pin from motherboard
    14. put CMOS jumper shunt to "CLEAR"
    15. remove battery, ram, video card and WAIT couple minutes
    16. Reinstall everything to normal and watch it boot with some sense of normalcy

That's how I at least got my M2N-SLI Deluxe to at least boot up and stay running long enough to flash the board to recover from what I believe was a bad flash. I haven't put it back together to load any OS on it yet. What bios did I loda? Let's see,,,OH while I'm typing this, I removed everything to CLEAR CMOS once again, AND I'm swapping out the 3800 Sempron for a dual-core 7750BE KUMA....let's see...OK I flashed to 1502. I already installed the 940BE quad to the M2N-SLI board and I don't really want to remove it, maybe I'll just wait and see if this thing is gonna be stable. I'll keep ya posted!