Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nintendo Wii U

Nintendo Wii U

Nintendo announces new Wii U console! Capable of 1080p, with 6.2-inch touchscreen controller. But, can play Wii games and will use Wii remotes, too.

It is powered by an IBM POWER7 processor. It will get some "hardcore" ports like Ghost Recon and Aliens: Colonial Marines.

Does the new Wii do anything for you? Planning to trade in your gaming rig for one?

Re: Nintendo Wii U

Here's a trailer from some famous developers about how hardcore the Wii U will be!

Oh yeah, I had to watch the Nintendo press conference for work. During it, they brought out EA CEO John Riccitiello. He talked about how EA will support the Wii U, but then they showed some EA games playing on the screen behind him, and they showed the Battlefield 3 gameplay footage from the other day.

Really? Battlefield 3 is coming to this thing? Really doubt it will look like it does in those trailers on the Wii U. Don't lie to us, Johnny.

They do have Metro: Last Night (Metro 2033 sequel for those who didn't know) announced for Wii U. Have to imagine that it'll look just a little worse than it did on the PC.

A WII U......

amirite?

you guys are too old :\

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

Quote Originally Posted by Keven View Post
    Does the new Wii do anything for you? Planning to trade in your gaming rig for one?
    Maybe, depends on adult games. Not trade in, lol, I got enough monies.

Honestly, the WiiU looks like the biggest joke since the Virtual Boy. It's incredibly stupid and I hope it fails hard.
    Do you wanna know why I use a knife? Guns are too quick. You can't savor all the... little... emotions. In... you see, in their last moments, people show you who they really are. So in a way, I knew your friends better than you ever did. Would you like to know which of them were cowards?

the next console after this will be called the WII U WII. the next after that will be the WII U WII U WII!

but seriously, i dont know how they will keep the controller/display from lagging. i already have a hard time playing with the wiimote at 8-10 ft from the console without loosing its signal especially with shooters.

Seems finally they got some work on internet gaming, HD graphics and adult games.

A console that can go portable? Sounds great.

We dontated our 360 and ps3 to the day care across the street from us because no one played them once we got a wii in the house. This should be great for my kids.

As a side note, a couple weeks ago I was asked to help on a school trip to the drumhellar dino museum; nearly every kid had a DS. The bus ride down was @3 hours, and having all those kids have some sort of gaming capacity on the bus was great! Then once there, all the kids used their DS's like cameras.

I never worry for Nintendo - they have their fingers on the pulse of gaming and technology, and what ever product that comes out - whether its successful or not - feels like a tested, finished product.

I know its not the cool kid thing to be a "product loyalist" like I am, but Nintendo will always get my cash one way or another every other season.
    Rock the Jukebox:
    2x Intel XEON E5405
    Asus DSBV-DX
    4x Kingston 2Gb FBuffered 667mhz w/4x MemCooler
    FSP 650w PSU
    MS Server 2008 STD

M3ltD0Vvn:
    Intel Q9550 w/Coolermaster Hyper 212 - 2x 120mm
    Asus P5N-D
    2x Transcend 2Gb 800Mhz
    FSP 550w SLI Certified <~~Bullet Proof
    EVGA GTX560Ti SC (Asus 22" 1680x1050)
    MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Quote Originally Posted by mpulliam View Post
    A console that can go portable? Sounds great.
    Well, remember that all the processing is being done by the console connected to the TV then beamed by RF to the controller w/ screen. So you can't take the tablet/controller to school/work and play a game. But for around the house, certainly it's portable.

I am done with Nintendo. I never bought a Wii. I thought maybe they would stop being idiots with their new console but I was wrong.

Nintendo claimed they were going to change the way people played games with the Wii, but let's looks what are generally considered the best Wii games:

New Super Mario Bros, Zelda, Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Super Smash Bros, Mario Kart

You know what these games have in common? They are not motion control games. They are normal games with motion controls tacked on. At the very best, the motion controls would function as well as dual analogs (like in Galaxy), but not in any of these games would you say "I'm glad this game has motion controls. This couldn't have been done with an XBox controller"

I don't have a problem motion controls by themselves. They work great for games Wii Sports, but Nintnendo tried to make them the main focus to disguise the fact that they basically rereleased the gamecube with a new accessory that only actually works well for about 5 games total.

The same thing is going to happen with the WiiU. They are going to few quirky titles that use the controller features well, and for everything else it's just going to be a stupid gimmick that either adds nothing or gets in the way.

But Nintendo is also going back on one of the things that made the Wii popular. With all the complaints I had about the Wii, at least the Wiimote was simple (looked like a tv remote) and people who couldn't grasp traditional video games played it (my mom and my aunts all really enjoyed it). These same people are going to take one look at the stupid WiiU controller and want nothing to do with it.

Not only that, but apparently only one WiiU controller can sync up at a time and a time and you can't by them separately. But even if you could how expensive will they be? Some people will want to replace them eventually anyways, analog sticks just wear out over time, etc.

Nintendo consoles just keep getting stupider and more ridiculous but keep making money, though I'm hoping this one bombs. I'm sick of Nintendo coming up with gimmicks and claiming they're innovating. They remind of a bunch of crackpots making Rube Goldberg machines and claiming that they're inventors/scientists.
    Last edited by salutethyshorts; 06-08-2011 at 04:06 PM.
    Do you wanna know why I use a knife? Guns are too quick. You can't savor all the... little... emotions. In... you see, in their last moments, people show you who they really are. So in a way, I knew your friends better than you ever did. Would you like to know which of them were cowards?

definitely not interested. maybe if the Wii had really showed me something i'd consider it. PS3/Xbox360 are the bane of gaming, but the whole "casual" aspect of the Wii should have been enough to gain a niche place, if done better. I dunno, the whole "motion control" thing is a total gimmick that gets old and this system is even worse. Whats the point? to weird people out enough that its not casual while playing "hardcore" titles poorly?

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

Quote Originally Posted by salutethyshorts
    They remind of a bunch of crackpots making Rube Goldberg machines and claiming that they're inventors/scientists.
    Something makes me chuckle reading this. I think about all those "frontier" inventors and how many times they were told they were crackpots before they got off the ground.

Next year, when the Xbox or PS reboot comes out and their controllers have LCD on them people will rave about it. Similar to Kinect.

Long live Famicon!
    Rock the Jukebox:
    2x Intel XEON E5405
    Asus DSBV-DX
    4x Kingston 2Gb FBuffered 667mhz w/4x MemCooler
    FSP 650w PSU
    MS Server 2008 STD

M3ltD0Vvn:
    Intel Q9550 w/Coolermaster Hyper 212 - 2x 120mm
    Asus P5N-D
    2x Transcend 2Gb 800Mhz
    FSP 550w SLI Certified <~~Bullet Proof
    EVGA GTX560Ti SC (Asus 22" 1680x1050)
    MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Quote Originally Posted by Activate: AMD View Post
    definitely not interested. maybe if the Wii had really showed me something i'd consider it. PS3/Xbox360 are the bane of gaming, but the whole "casual" aspect of the Wii should have been enough to gain a niche place, if done better. I dunno, the whole "motion control" thing is a total gimmick that gets old and this system is even worse. Whats the point? to weird people out enough that its not casual while playing "hardcore" titles poorly?
    But they showed Ghost Recon and Metro: Last Light on the Wii U! It's a hardcore machine! </sarcasm>

The Wii never has and probably never will appeal to what we would call a 'serious gamer' which is why some of you in this thread may not 'get' the Wii. Even with their attempt to add more adult titles I still think it's only going to appeal to teens who are growing out of the more kid-focused games. I mean I don't see many 20-something gamers buying a new Wii for the purpose of playing the adult type games that are already available on PC and the other consoles.

Having said all that Nintendo has been genius in appealing to kids and the adult very casual gamer or those who have never touched a console before. My kids grew up on Nintendo (Gameboy, DS, GameCube, Wii) and enjoyed it for years. I had lots of fun playing the Wii with them. Lots of great family memories were created with the Wii around the holidays. I'm sure it's similar for other families as well. As he got into his teen years Buu wanted an XBox and that's somewhat understandable but he still plays the Wii. We all do sometimes.

I would agree that Nintendo had some difficulty integrating the motion controllers into their 'regular' games but the games that were designed to show off the motion controllers are lots of fun. And I give Nintendo kudos for at least trying to do something different while the others are just doing the same old thing. The Wii filled a gap that the other consoles didn't bother or couldn't figure out how to fill and that's why it was such a sales success. It's difficult to say how this new console with do though. Nintendo is taking a risk, as they did with the original Wii. Only time will tell.
    If you enjoy gaming click here to learn about the Fragging Frogs.

[Proudly using only AMD desktop CPUs since 1996 and now also GPUs in 2014 - Thanks AMD!!]
    My Rigs - My Upgrade History - My Games

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny View Post

Having said all that Nintendo has been genius in appealing to kids and the adult very casual gamer or those who have never touched a console before. My kids grew up on Nintendo (Gameboy, DS, GameCube, Wii) and enjoyed it for years. I had lots of fun playing the Wii with them. Lots of great family memories were created with the Wii around the holidays. I'm sure it's similar for other families as well. As he got into his teen years Buu wanted an XBox and that's somewhat understandable but he still plays the Wii. We all do sometimes.
    Are the same casual/non gamers who liked the Wii because of its basic tv remote like controller going to like the WiiU? Probably not, this thing has all the buttons of the 360 controller, and now a touch screen built in.

And I don't think serious gamers will like it either, it's too much of a gimmick.

So I'm questioning who exactly they're marketing it too.