Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nintendo Wii U

Re: Nintendo Wii U

No real blockbuster hardcore adult game yet. Maybe later. Oh well, it's a start I guess.

Rock the Jukebox:
    2x Intel XEON E5405
    Asus DSBV-DX
    4x Kingston 2Gb FBuffered 667mhz w/4x MemCooler
    FSP 650w PSU
    MS Server 2008 STD

M3ltD0Vvn:
    Intel Q9550 w/Coolermaster Hyper 212 - 2x 120mm
    Asus P5N-D
    2x Transcend 2Gb 800Mhz
    FSP 550w SLI Certified <~~Bullet Proof
    EVGA GTX560Ti SC (Asus 22" 1680x1050)
    MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Hey, if you want a Wii U, it's already released. It's called an X-Box 360 (without tablet controller like thingy).

Quote Originally Posted by 3dfxrain View Post
    Hey, if you want a Wii U, it's already released. It's called an X-Box 360 (without tablet controller like thingy).
    Well, Nintendo says Wii U discs will hold 25GB, which is same as Blu-Ray, so closer to PS3 because you won't have 9-disc games on the Xbox 360 with their DVD9s.

Save me from too many DVD's.

hehehe

Quote Originally Posted by salutethyshorts View Post
    Are the same casual/non gamers who liked the Wii because of its basic tv remote like controller going to like the WiiU? Probably not, this thing has all the buttons of the 360 controller, and now a touch screen built in.

And I don't think serious gamers will like it either, it's too much of a gimmick.

So I'm questioning who exactly they're marketing it too.
    Yeah, it really does seem to be a strange move when you had something as successful as the wii and to go the other direction.

Do not want.
    \_(ツ)_/

I guess Nintendo see's opportunity to expand past kiddie games and lack of HD, adult games and internet multiplayer games. I think Wii controller is backwards compatible as well as Wii software? Not sure. I assume it is.

Quote Originally Posted by 3dfxrain View Post
    I guess Nintendo see's opportunity to expand past kiddie games and lack of HD, adult games and internet multiplayer games. I think Wii controller is backwards compatible as well as Wii software? Not sure. I assume it is.
    Yeah. Software sales on the Wii have been poor because grandma and grandpa buy the console with Wii Sports and never buy any other games.

"Hardcore" gamers are the guys who buy 10 games a year. Nintendo, of course, makes money from the licensing fees from each game sold.

The first Wii was a ghetto for "hardcore" games. If the Wii U can handle ports of PS3/Xbox 360 games, then Nintendo thinks they can get the core gamers they'll buy tons and tons of teh games on their system.

Quote Originally Posted by Keven View Post
    Yeah. Software sales on the Wii have been poor because grandma and grandpa buy the console with Wii Sports and never buy any other games.

"Hardcore" gamers are the guys who buy 10 games a year. Nintendo, of course, makes money from the licensing fees from each game sold.

The first Wii was a ghetto for "hardcore" games. If the Wii U can handle ports of PS3/Xbox 360 games, then Nintendo thinks they can get the core gamers they'll buy tons and tons of teh games on their system.
    the thing is they will never get core gamers unless the system has comparable capabilities to the xbox 360 and ps3 or ideally, the wii u needs superior capabilities.

unless the wii u has superior hardware (graphics capabilities) or at the very minimum does something amazing with that new touch screen controller (unlikely) nintendo will never break past the barrier of entry of the hardcore gaming market. hardcore gamers already have a ps3/xbox 360 or both. they will buy titles for there established systems before they will plop down cash for a new system and games that they could already buy on there current console.

nintendo needs a down right amazing console, and to me....the wii u doesn't even perk my interest. im not expecting much out of it.

I think they're a bit late to the party. I think a faster graphics device than 360 or PS3 would get me interested in using it. Apart from that, satisfied with PS3 and XBOX 360 when console gaming.

Some info on the Power7:

The POWER7 is a multi-core processor, available with 4, 6, or 8 cores. There is also a special TurboCore mode that can turn off half of the cores from an eight-core processor, but those 4 cores have access to all the memory controllers and L3 cache. This makes each core's performance higher which is important for workloads which require the fastest cores possible.

Each core is capable of four-way simultaneous multithreading (SMT). The POWER7 has approximately 1.2 billion transistors and is 567 mm2 large fabricated on a 45 nm process. A notable difference from POWER6 is that the POWER7 executes instructions out-of-order instead of in-order. Despite the decrease in maximum frequency compared to POWER6 (4.25 GHz vs 5.0 GHz), each core has higher performance than the POWER6, while having up to 4 times the number of cores.

POWER7 has these specifications:[6][7]

45 nm SOI process, 567 mm2
    1.2 billion transistors
    3.0 4.25 GHz clock speed
    max 4 chips per quad-chip module
    4, 6 or 8 cores per chip
    4 SMT threads per core (available in AIX 6.1 TL05 (releases in April 2010) and above)
    12 execution units per core:
    2 fixed-point units
    2 load/store units
    4 double-precision floating-point units
    1 vector unit supporting VSX
    1 decimal floating-point unit
    1 branch unit
    1 condition register unit
    32+32 kB L1 instruction and data cache (per core)[8]
    256 kB L2 Cache (per core)
    4 MB L3 cache per core with maximum up to 32MB supported. The cache is implemented in eDRAM, which does not require as many transistors per cell as a standard SRAM[5] so it allows for a larger cache while using the same area as SRAM.
    This gives the following theoretical performance figures (based on a 4.14 GHz 8 core implementation):

max 33.12 GFLOPS per core
    max 264.96 GFLOPS per chip
    POWER7 held during 3 1/2 months the TPC-C top result with 10,366,254 tpmC.[9] Using a 780 server with 24 CPUs (192 cores) out of a possible 32 CPUs (256 cores) running at 3.86 GHz.
    -=M=-
    Rock the Jukebox:
    2x Intel XEON E5405
    Asus DSBV-DX
    4x Kingston 2Gb FBuffered 667mhz w/4x MemCooler
    FSP 650w PSU
    MS Server 2008 STD

M3ltD0Vvn:
    Intel Q9550 w/Coolermaster Hyper 212 - 2x 120mm
    Asus P5N-D
    2x Transcend 2Gb 800Mhz
    FSP 550w SLI Certified <~~Bullet Proof
    EVGA GTX560Ti SC (Asus 22" 1680x1050)
    MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Seems good to see Nintendo respond to larger group of peeps with more features I think.

Quote Originally Posted by mpulliam View Post
    Some info on the Power7:

-=M=-
    Yeah, Watson, the Jeopardy-playing IBM AI mainframe is powered by like a thousand clusters of POWER7 servers.

So you could say that Watson is powering your Wii U!