Exclamation Overclocking Motherboards

Hi,
    Sorry I am new. Could someone show me a thread about good overclocking motherboards for AMD or give me a list right here. I plan to run a Athlon 64 x2 2.5ghz Brisbane. I have a POS ECS nForce6m-A v.2.0 . I also hope to upgrade to a quad core Athlon II sometime. So if there are good boards for AM2+'s that I could overclock to run future games or AM3 boards. Ideal situation is a AM2+/AM3 board that has full access to all the setting in BIOS. I am also a newbie overclocker but I read a lot and understand the concepts. Now I want to put them to use.

Also I'd like to know what memory is good w/ the motherboard. Not the module maker but the actual chips that go well or are tight in timing.

P.s. I only need one GFX card slot I don't plan on needing a SLI as I will be running nVidia.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Overclocking Motherboards

this is probably the best of what's left of the am2+/am3 boards at the egg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813130266

you'll be needing a cooler. these work very well.

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus

choosing an am3 board opens up all sort of possibilities but won't run the brisbane.

ud

In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D

You say you plan on ocing that x2 chip.

Do you already own it or are buying it? If your buying you would be much better off getting newer technology

If I was overclocking i'd probably target motherboard with heasinks on mosfets and maybe heatpipe, with like Gigabyte ultra durable or MSI military class like parts on it. Asus makes voltage settings easy. Can increase overclock frequencies and leave voltage on auto and is stable enough.

@poci: already own it. It was given to me for free so I'm not complaining. the whole system was free to me so I'm seeing if I can carry over some parts.

@3dfxrain: choosing AM3 as in buying a new processor and board or the AM2+/AM3 won't run my core specifically. Also if I ran a newer board I would need a RAM upgrade so I'm really not saving much in terms of old parts.

What do you plan on using for cooling? A big towers coolers good. Should cool well.

i plan on buying a Cooler Master 212+. Idk any good cooling brands other than Cooler Master and Thermaltake. lol That's why I joined the forum to learn! any help on brands is really appreciated.

Thermalright, Noctua.

Oh btw according to the mobo im using, ECS, the core runs at about 40c. idle so maybe i could run off stock for a little while

this should be close to your cpu. not even close to it's max temp. 5200+
    your good to go.

ud
    Last edited by uddarts; 06-12-2011 at 04:17 PM.

I mentioned things in my first post of this thread, mainly for stability/reliability over time, perhaps wittle higher overclock.

I have another question. Why are there heatsinks all over the motherboard such as http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131352

They cool the north and south bridge right? but why?

Overclocking heatsinks for extreme overclocking I guess perhaps beyond overclocking I do.