Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Install Win XP on OCZ SSD...NOT!

Gang, my SATA HD crapped out and I decided to replace it with an OCZ 80Gb SSD.
    NOT SO FAST HARLEY!

I have the RAID drivers from Asus for my A8V-E Mobo, and have tried to install windows XP on the SSD, but each time it says no disk found.

It seems it isnt as easy as simply installing on a new SATA HD.

Im not sure what my next step is here. My intention is a fresh win XP install on this SSD.

Any tips?

Thanks
    There are three kinds of people, those who can count, and those who can't.

Re: Install Win XP on OCZ SSD...NOT!

I donít understand what you need RAID drivers for?

How do you have your SSD setup in BIOS?

Where is the no disc found error message originating from, the BIOS or the Windows install process?
    Core i7 3930K | ASUS P9X79 Deluxe | GTX670 | 32GB DDR3 | 500GB SSD | Antec P183 | Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit | 3x 27" 1920x1080 Monitors
    Core i5 2500k | ASUS P8P67 Pro | 4GB DDR3 | 27 TB Storage | Antec 300 | Server 2012 Essentials | Headless
    Core i7 920 | ASUS P6T Deluxe | MSI GTX260 | 6GB DDR3 | OCZ 120GB Vertex 2 + WD 1TB + 750GB | Antec 300 | Windows 7 64bit | 27" 2560x1440
    Core i7 860 | ASUS P7P55D Pro | eVGA 8800GT | 4GB DDR3 | WD 1TB | Antec 300 | Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit | 40" 1920x1080 HDTV
    Core 2 Q6600 |ASUS P5G41C-M LX | 8800GTS | 8GB DDR3 | WD Black 1TB HDD | Antec 300 | Windows 7 64bit | 27" 2560x1440

HP P6150 Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit (Media Center System)
    HP EX490 MSS 16TB
    HP LX195 MSS

Hauppauge HD PVR 2x
    Hauppauge Colossus
    HDHomeRun 4x
    HDHomeRun Prime
    Xbox 360
    PS3
    Wii
    Wii U

The ssd doesn't show up in either windows install or bios.

OK then,Ö..

Well the only thing I can think of off hand is that either the SSD is defective (DOA) or your ~7 year old motherboard has some issues. If you can run standard SATA (new) HDDs then Iím not sure what else can be done. You might want to try upgrading the motherboard BIOS if you havenít already.

Maybe recheck all your connections and double check that the BIOS doesnít have the SATA ports disabled.

If you have a SATA to IDE adapter, PCI SATA card or SATA to USB adapter you can check the SSD that way.
    Core i7 3930K | ASUS P9X79 Deluxe | GTX670 | 32GB DDR3 | 500GB SSD | Antec P183 | Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit | 3x 27" 1920x1080 Monitors
    Core i5 2500k | ASUS P8P67 Pro | 4GB DDR3 | 27 TB Storage | Antec 300 | Server 2012 Essentials | Headless
    Core i7 920 | ASUS P6T Deluxe | MSI GTX260 | 6GB DDR3 | OCZ 120GB Vertex 2 + WD 1TB + 750GB | Antec 300 | Windows 7 64bit | 27" 2560x1440
    Core i7 860 | ASUS P7P55D Pro | eVGA 8800GT | 4GB DDR3 | WD 1TB | Antec 300 | Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit | 40" 1920x1080 HDTV
    Core 2 Q6600 |ASUS P5G41C-M LX | 8800GTS | 8GB DDR3 | WD Black 1TB HDD | Antec 300 | Windows 7 64bit | 27" 2560x1440

HP P6150 Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit (Media Center System)
    HP EX490 MSS 16TB
    HP LX195 MSS

Hauppauge HD PVR 2x
    Hauppauge Colossus
    HDHomeRun 4x
    HDHomeRun Prime
    Xbox 360
    PS3
    Wii
    Wii U

There are quite a few older SATA controllers that will only recognize SATA 1.0 drives. Some that can recognize SATA 2.0 with special tweaks.

If the MB controller is in IDE mode and it won't see the drive then you're needing to use a different controller, maybe a PCI card? Non-RAID is best or at least a card that can be put into non-RAID mode.

I had 3 SATA HD's running on this system the last year or more, so the MB should be 'used' to them.
    Suddenly a few days ago after a restart, my hard drive isn't found. now this.
    Last edited by harleyx; 06-16-2011 at 12:16 PM.

My inexperience is really showing here...I can't figure out how to change IDE/SATA setting in BIOS, and the SATA drivers (floppy) i used to install the initial SATA HD's doesnt work.

If the drive is not recognized in BIOS, then the driver isn't going to do you any good.
    the SATA controller needs to be set to IDE mode, as opposed to RAID mode, and the appropriate driver used for the install.

If the old drive went missing and the new drive is also missing, a bad motherboard is starting to be more probable.

But as I stated previously, many of these older SATA boards will not recognize the newer SATA 2.0 and 3.0 drives.

You have to initialize SSDs on a working PC before you can use them.

Click the start button>right click computer>click manage>click disk management>then right click the drive in the list>select create new simple volume>follow the instructions and perform "quick format"

Also make sure you Google about aligning Windows XP installations and optimization tweaks. This will improve your SSD performance and life as XP is not as smart as Windows 7 when it comes to using SSDs properly. If you need more help, just ask

Quote Originally Posted by djotter View Post
    You have to initialize SSDs on a working PC before you can use them.

Click the start button>right click computer>click manage>click disk management>then right click the drive in the list>select create new simple volume>follow the instructions and perform "quick format"
    SO, there is no way to build a new computer using am SSD drive unless you have another comp to format the drive?
    That seems odd

All, I have the SATA ports on the MB, and I have a secondary SATA card. Using the card, 3 of my 'test' drives (regular SATA HD's) show up in BIOS, the SSD still does not.
    Also, even with BIOS seeing the test drives, when I try to install XP, it starts, then says 'no drives present'

Quote Originally Posted by harleyx View Post
    All, I have the SATA ports on the MB, and I have a secondary SATA card. Using the card, 3 of my 'test' drives (regular SATA HD's) show up in BIOS, the SSD still does not.
    Also, even with BIOS seeing the test drives, when I try to install XP, it starts, then says 'no drives present'
    Sounds like you have 2 issues going on...

A defective SSD (and/or sata cable), and a lack of AHCI drivers for XP.

Im wondering which would be responsible for my comp suddenly not finding the SATA HD it was running the last few years

Quote Originally Posted by harleyx View Post
    Im wondering which would be responsible for my comp suddenly not finding the SATA HD it was running the last few years
    The drive and/or cable could have gone bad, Ports on the motherboard, etc.