Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Motorola Droid Phones? (probably will be switching to VZW)

I have an iPhone and my contract is up in September, and I'm considering a switch to VZW and the droid. I like my iPhone and all, but like alot of customers; I'm not too happy with my carrier. The service issue only seems to be getting worse. If I get anywhere near a major city, I have to switch from 3G back to the "E" network. And on top of this, the availability of the E network seems to be waning (for obvious reasons), this would be fine if they would increase their 3G network capacity, but it doesn't seem like they're worried about it.
    And in the past week, the problem seems to be affecting smaller cities, and suburbs like York, PA. And I where I work which is about 15 miles from Baltimore, MD and you can forget about making a 3G call after 3pm

So anyway, I'm looking at the motorola droid, and most of my friends seem to like it. The only complaint that I hear is that it's not as user friendly as the iPhone, but user friendly often (but not always) means less functional. And I'm reasonably inclined when it comes to technology so that's not even a huge deal for me.

Is uploading music a hassle and do I need proprietary software like iTunes?
    Is the sound quality good?
    Is the battery life decent?
    Are there any major reception issues?
    And of course how durable is the phone?
    Last edited by JustinC939; 07-26-2011 at 10:30 PM.

As another election draws near; the G.O.P. are yet again filled with a stupid confidence that the they will win the White House. What they don't realize about people like Trump, Carson, and Cruz is that their rhetoric only resonates within an echo chamber, but not the American people. They live in an illusion of falsehood and distorted truth and only seek information and opinions that confirm these beliefs and instantly reject anything that contradicts them because only their opinions matter. Their notion of freedom is freedom for themselves and those alike to them, but not the rest of the country which has changed.
    These are the reasons why the G.O.P is set to lose in 2016. And when that happens, rest assured that they will have myriad of conspiracy theories blaming everyone and everything from the liberal media, to Oprah, to welfare moms, and pretty much everyone but their own disgusting selves.

Re: Verizon Droid?

The Motorola Droid 2? The original Motorola Droid has been retired and has been replaced by a few different phones.

I work as a freelance phone reviewer, I have very good relations with Verizon and I have used every Android device on that network since the original droid, including the Casio Commando, which sucks.

Music and media in general is weak on the Droid. You will need to mount your phone like a drive and drag-n-drop files over to the phone. It is not as inutative as the iPhone, and the media player utility on Android is bad as well. The iPhone is a better "iPod" than Android phones.
    Comparable to the iPhone.
    Is the battery life decent?
    Depends if you leave WiFi and GPS on or not, and if you have a 4G phone or not. But generally, on par with the iPhone. Maybe a little worse if you overclock the son of a b***h.
    Are there any major reception issues?
    I think Android devices get better reception than the iPhone. I live in Milwaukee, which is not a horrible "cannot make a call" market for the iPhone like some cities. But, generally speaking, I think Android phones get better reception than the iPhone. Remember that Apple only has been a phone company for the last four years. Motorola invented the cell phone, and Samsung, Sony and HTC have been making phones for year. Call me an Android fanboy, but part of the iPhone's issues with reception are because their engineering teams aren't as expected with RF design as other companies. (My professional two cents.)
    And of course how durable is the phone?
    Android phones are generally very durable, with a few exceptions. Verizon's Droid brand of phones is a very "macho" brand with a very durable build quality, I find. Many people, myself included, do not even use cases with their Android (you'll know that almost EVERYBODY uses a case with an iPhone). I've also dropped Android phones and their pretty durable.

My top picks for Android devices on Verizon are as follows:
    - My number #1 pick for best phone is the Motorola Droid X2. Great big 4.3-inch screen, and powered by a dual-core NVIDIA Tegra processor. Hands down the fastest phone I've used, iPhones included.
    - If you get Verizon 4G LTE in your area and want that, get the HTC Thunderbolt. It's a good phone, plenty fast, but not dual-core. It's also a bit thick because no bimodal 3G/4G chipsets exist yet. The battery life is also a common complaint on this one, but I didn't find that when I reviewed it.

Those are some thoughts from me on what's out there. I know there are other Android fandroids on these forums, so I'm sure you'll get lots of opinions.
    - The Motorola Droid 2 Global is the successor to the original "Motorola Droid". A solid Android device, probably the best with a keyboard. Though I like the big screens over keyboards.

Im waiting for the Samsung galaxy s2 to come here. Then its upgrade time.

Droid Bionic. Hopefully this summer for my last every 2 yr upgrade.

Music and media in general is weak on the Droid. You will need to mount your phone like a drive and drag-n-drop files over to the phone. It is not as inutative as the iPhone, and the media player utility on Android is bad as well. The iPhone is a better "iPod" than Android phones.

I find that I prefer this system to Itunes that locks you in to Apple and they control where you put your music. Try the new Google music app or the amazon cloud Mp3 system. Both are pretty nice.
    Last edited by zetachi; 06-15-2011 at 03:38 PM.
    If you enjoy gaming click here to learn about the Fragging Frogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Keven View Post

I don't necessarily see that as a bad thing. I honestly don't care for iTunes on my PC and I especially don't like the fact that you can't use an iTunes alternative (like Songbird) for the iPhone.
    Comparable to the iPhone.
    Is this also the case for playing music? And what kind of 3rd party apps are available for playing media files? Are any of them superior to the the factory media player?

Another thing that I wanted to ask is what kind of hacks/projects are available for the Droid market? I used to jailbreak my iPhone, but it really gets to be a hassle when you have to update the software. At the very least I could get the VZW iPhone 4, but I expect that it would have the same reception issues as AT&Ts iPhone 4. I have a 3GS, and I think the reception on that is excellent and definetly superior to the iPhone 4. I know this to be fact because I have two friends who have iPhone 4s and my reception is almost always better. The reception issue is the whole reason I never upgraded to the iPhone 4.
    Even if the media on the Droid is bad, I could at the very least flash my iPhone to an iPod Touch and use that for the gym and long road trips. I doubt I'd get alot of money if I sold it on eBay considering the 3Gs is sold for $50.
    And one other thing; How is the Droid's OS? Can I send and download eMail attachments to my phone to store and run them? Can I create and use folder like I could on an ordinary PC OS? Not being able to download attachments to my phone is a real shit sucker.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin
    Android phones are generally very durable, with a few exceptions. Verizon's Droid brand of phones is a very "macho" brand with a very durable build quality, I find. Many people, myself included, do not even use cases with their Android (you'll know that almost EVERYBODY uses a case with an iPhone). I've also dropped Android phones and their pretty durable.
    And yeah, while the iPhone will take abuse, and it looks really stylish outside the case, but you better have a case for it or you'll have it scratched up and looking like ass in no time lol.

As another election draws near; the G.O.P. are yet again filled with a stupid confidence that the they will win the White House. What they don't realize about people like Trump, Carson, and Cruz is that their rhetoric only resonates within an echo chamber, but not the American people. They live in an illusion of falsehood and distorted truth and only seek information and opinions that confirm these beliefs and instantly reject anything that contradicts them because only their opinions matter. Their notion of freedom is freedom for themselves and those alike to them, but not the rest of the country which has changed.
    These are the reasons why the G.O.P is set to lose in 2016. And when that happens, rest assured that they will have myriad of conspiracy theories blaming everyone and everything from the liberal media, to Oprah, to welfare moms, and pretty much everyone but their own disgusting selves.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinC939 View Post
    And what kind of 3rd party apps are available for playing media files? Are any of them superior to the the factory media player?
    I just use a media player called "Android Music player". Exciting name, I know. I think it's really just the stock player with an updated look to it, but honestly I've never cared enough to look into it. Anyway it does what I want it to do, but there are a lot of alternatives out there on the Android market. I'm sure some of them are better but it's not that important to me.

Another thing that I wanted to ask is what kind of hacks/projects are available for the Droid market?
    Oh man, there are a TON of custom roms, kernels, even different modem versions available, and this is on my not nearly as popular Samsung Vibrant from T-Mobile. The Droid 2 section of the XDA Developers forum is huge. You could probably have a different OS every day of the year if you wanted.

At the very least I could get the VZW iPhone 4, but I expect that it would have the same reception issues as AT&Ts iPhone 4. I have a 3GS, and I think the reception on that is excellent and definetly superior to the iPhone 4. I know this to be fact because I have two friends who have iPhone 4s and my reception is almost always better. The reception issue is the whole reason I never upgraded to the iPhone 4.
    Even if the media on the Droid is bad, I could at the very least flash my iPhone to an iPod Touch and use that for the gym and long road trips. I doubt I'd get alot of money if I sold it on eBay considering the 3Gs is sold for $50.
    My sister has an iphone 3gs and doesn't seem to have too many reception problems with it. I know it won't work in large department or home improvement stores though, and my Samsung never usually has a problem there.

And one other thing; How is the Droid's OS? Can I send and download eMail attachments to my phone to store and run them? Can I create and use folder like I could on an ordinary PC OS? Not being able to download attachments to my phone is a real shit sucker.
    The iphone can't do attachments? Really? I do attachments all the time on my Android phone. It pretty much does whatever Gmail on your computer does. I can open up pdf files, picture or sound files, etc.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Edmund Burke

RIP PCPER TLR
    7-14-19

The Motorola Droid 2? The original Motorola Droid has been retired and has been replaced by a few different phones.

I work as a freelance phone reviewer, I have very good relations with Verizon and I have used every Android device on that network since the original droid, including the Casio Commando, which sucks.

My top picks for Android devices on Verizon are as follows:
    - My number #1 pick for best phone is the Motorola Droid X2. Great big 4.3-inch screen, and powered by a dual-core NVIDIA Tegra processor. Hands down the fastest phone I've used, iPhones included.
    - If you get Verizon 4G LTE in your area and want that, get the HTC Thunderbolt. It's a good phone, plenty fast, but not dual-core. It's also a bit thick because no bimodal 3G/4G chipsets exist yet. The battery life is also a common complaint on this one, but I didn't find that when I reviewed it.
    Not trying to get off topic but do you have a website for your reviews? My phone is 5 years old and I probably will breakdown and get a smart phone but I am tired of giving VZW more money. I have been leaning towards the Bionic and the S2 Galaxy. I didn't realize about the thicker phone due to 3G/4G chipset issues, any hope in the near future with a thinner phone?

Quote Originally Posted by omegasteve View Post
    Not trying to get off topic but do you have a website for your reviews? My phone is 5 years old and I probably will breakdown and get a smart phone but I am tired of giving VZW more money. I have been leaning towards the Bionic and the S2 Galaxy. I didn't realize about the thicker phone due to 3G/4G chipset issues, any hope in the near future with a thinner phone?
    My 2 choices also. Depends if the Bionic has a locked Bootloader or if S2 has 4g LTE

Not trying to get off topic but do you have a website for your reviews?
    Most recent can be found here.

I have been leaning towards the Bionic and the S2 Galaxy.
    Quote Originally Posted by zetachi View Post
    My 2 choices also. Depends if the Bionic has a locked Bootloader or if S2 has 4g LTE
    Both look like good phones, but not out yet. I was only recommending phones that are already out to Justin.

I didn't realize about the thicker phone due to 3G/4G chipset issues, any hope in the near future with a thinner phone?
    At CES in January, the Qualcomm guy told me that the bimodal 3G/4G baseband chipsets were coming Q1 2012. Now there's rumors that the iPhone 4S or iPhone 5 coming in September of this year will be the first phone to use the combined 3G/4G chipset. So, they're coming soon.

Problem is that without that combine chipset, the phone manufacturers have to include both a 3G and 4G baseband chipset in their phones. That adds to the thickness of the phone and every 4G phone out there - EVO, Thunderbolt, whatever - is much thicker than the razer-thin phones like the iPhone/Galaxy S2/Droid X/etc.

Another thing that I wanted to ask is what kind of hacks/projects are available for the Droid market?=
    Like already said, Android is what you want if you want to hack and tinker with your phone. There are some issues with certain manufacturers and carriers locking bootloaders or having a self-repairing ROM (eFuse!) but they usually can be overcome by the modding community. Tons of opportunity.

Plus, phone overclocking!

Re: Motorola Droid Phones? (might be switching to VZW)

I find that I prefer this system to Itunes that locks you in to Apple and they control where you put your music. Try the new Google music app or the amazon cloud Mp3 system. Both are pretty nice.
    Google music and the amazon cloud apps are great, i can have my entire 16gb music collection with me at all times and not have it take up a bit of space on my phone.

I prefer pandora for music though, android has all sorts of music apps, cloud based, streaming, and regular old media players like winamp (that's a big one on android)

Have you considered sprint? they're cheaper than vzw, have better customer support and offer a very nice range of android phones as well. evo 3d is out by the end of the month!

If they have good coverage in your area I'd say they're a no brainer. The smaller guys fight harder to keep their customer base.

If you're more concerned about 4g then vzw does have the more robust network, but current 4g is a mixed bag. All 4g solutions suck battery life like no tomorrow and with wifi in abundance and 3g being plenty fast for most tasks I find myself NEVER using 4g. Of course I don't get great 4g coverage in my house either, but it's really not even one of the reasons I bought my evo "4g"

Now as far as rooting: jailbreaking makes your iphone able to do the things that STOCK android does, rooting allows you to do things an iphone couldn't dream of.

If you plan to root your phone and flash any custom roms, kernels, radios mods anything of that sot you'll want to be careful which phone you get. as i understand it the droid x/2 isn't very mod friendly overall, it only just recently got support from the largest custom rom (cm7) and it's not like there isn't a large user base for the droid x. Motorola just has that phone really well locked down. Even the cm7 port it has isn't quite up to par, so know that going into this that which phone you chose can have an affect on what you'll be able to do root/mod wise.

That said the vast majority of android phones are very customizable and able to attain root. When there's an os update for your phone, you just wait a couple hours and someone will have a rooted, flashable rom of the update for you to install if you prefer to stay mostly stock (as I do)

I really like HTC phones, sense is a great custom UI and the hardware is always top notch. Moto's blur UI and samsung's touchwiz are a but less desirable to me. Any of these brands can be modded to run stock android, or any other custom rom you like though, so keep that in mind.

If you want stock android, well stock, you're choices get limited to nexus phones from google (actually built by htc or samsung) or a few others that have resisted custom ui's (can't name any honestly)

I could go on and on, so i think I'll just stop here!
    Corsair 800D / Corsair TX750 PSU
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 / Win7 Pro
    Intel i7 2600k @ 4.4ghz (44 x 100) + Corsair H100
    Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 x 16GB
    2 x XFX R9 280x + 3 x Asus VS24AH-P 24" IPS 1920x1200
    Samsung 840 Evo 250GB OS + 2 x 1TB WD Caviar Black

The member formerly known as SuBX3r0 HEAT

Most recent can be found here.

At CES in January, the Qualcomm guy told me that the bimodal 3G/4G baseband chipsets were coming Q1 2012. Now there's rumors that the iPhone 4S or iPhone 5 coming in September of this year will be the first phone to use the combined 3G/4G chipset. So, they're coming soon.

Problem is that without that combine chipset, the phone manufacturers have to include both a 3G and 4G baseband chipset in their phones. That adds to the thickness of the phone and every 4G phone out there - EVO, Thunderbolt, whatever - is much thicker than the razer-thin phones like the iPhone/Galaxy S2/Droid X/etc.

Like already said, Android is what you want if you want to hack and tinker with your phone. There are some issues with certain manufacturers and carriers locking bootloaders or having a self-repairing ROM (eFuse!) but they usually can be overcome by the modding community. Tons of opportunity.

Plus, phone overclocking!

Well I stopped by a VZW store today and looked at their phones. It's alot to take in as there are so many phones, and new ones keep popping up every month. Anyway, I got a pamphlet for their billing plans, and it looks like I could switch to VZW with virtually no difference in my monthly bill. Unfortunately VZW no longer offers unlimited data. I'm grandfathered in to AT&Ts unlimited data plan, but I reviewed my data usage with AT&T, and I haven't gone over 500MB in the past 8 months, and my avergae usage is around 250MB. And I can get by on 450 minutes since everybody and their brothers texts now.
    With so many phones, it's going to be hard to decide what I really want. 4G isn't that important to me as I'll likely be due for an upgrade by the time that makes it's way to my area.
    What I'm going to want is going to come down to this.
    • Good Reception
    • Fast Processor
    • Moddable using no tools like a jtag cable
    • Large Hi-Res screen
    • Not too picky about the camera as long as it's better than the iPhone 3GSs camera.
    It looks like I may be jumping the AT&T ship at just the right time. It seems that I'm experiencing more usage issues like getting voicemails because my phone simply didn't receive the call as it was being made, and getting text message hours later than they were sent. It's only a minor inconvenience now, but I fear this is only the beginning. I don't want a 911 call to be dropped because everybody else is googling lolcats on their iPhones.

But one more thing; would I be correct in assuming that any android phone can play NES, and SNES emulators with needing to be modded?

Quote Originally Posted by kbohip View Post
    The iphone can't do attachments? Really? I do attachments all the time on my Android phone. It pretty much does whatever Gmail on your computer does. I can open up pdf files, picture or sound files, etc.
    I should rephrase that. The iPhone does attachments, but unless it's an image file, you'll have to re-download that file everytime. So if I have an audio or video file in an attachment, I can't save it to my phone so I basically have to download that file everytime that I want to run the file.
    It's obviously to rack up data usage on AT&T bogged down network lol.

So I want to know if any kind of file downloaded from the internet or email can be stored for later use (like on a PC) with a Droid family phone.
    Last edited by JustinC939; 07-24-2011 at 05:13 AM.

Unfortunately VZW no longer offers unlimited data. I'm grandfathered in to AT&Ts unlimited data plan, but I reviewed my data usage with AT&T, and I haven't gone over 500MB in the past 8 months, and my avergae usage is around 250MB. And I can get by on 450 minutes since everybody and their brothers texts now.
    Aw, major bummer. Verizon literally phased out their unlimited data plan in like the last 10 days. You literally just missed it.

I would say that you'd probably use more going to an Android device, but if you're coming from an iPhone (another smartphone), then you probably won't see any increase/decrease in data usage.

With so many phones, it's going to be hard to decide what I really want. 4G isn't that important to me as I'll likely be due for an upgrade by the time that makes it's way to my area.
    Are you sure? Verizon's 4G is being rolled out incredibly fast. They've already surpassed Sprint's 4G network and Sprint/Clearwire started building that network 18 months before hand. You may already have it. They just added 28 new cities on Thursday and I know a lot of mid-sized cities in PA got it (Scranton, State College, etc). See if you have it http://network4g.verizonwireless.com/#/coverage

Good Reception
    Depends on your area, but in my personal experience, Apple doesn't know how to design antennas. I've been all over the country and I've used all sorts of mobile phones on multiple networks and I've never had any of these reception issues you get with the iPhone in some areas.

I know I'm going to flame the iPhone fans, but I don't think Apple knows how to design a phone antenna. They started work on the iPhone in 2007 with almost no baseband RF engineers. Companies like Motorola (who invented the goddamned cell phone) and Samsung (who ships 9 billion zillion dump phones every year) know how to make antennas. Apple, in their quest to make phones thinner and lighter every year, doesn't. That's my opinion. I think you'll see better reception with an Android phone.

Fast Processor
    Moddable using no tools like a jtag cable
    Large Hi-Res screen
    Not too picky about the camera as long as it's better than the iPhone 3GSs camera.
    I'm going to recommend the Motorola Droid X2 - IF you don't want 4G.

It's got a great big screen. I personally own the first Droid X, but I reviewed the X2 for work. The phones look very similar, but the screen is better on the X2 and its more crisp, etc.

The Droid X2 also ships with a dual-core 1Ghz processor. Although there really isn't any need for a dual-core processor right now (no mobile apps that really push that envelope), the dual-core phones/tablets I've used are noticeably more responsive and have better performance. You do sacrifice battery life though.

Camera - Apple usually puts very good cameras in their iPhones and Motorola is notorious for god awful cameras. That said, the X2 actually has a really nice camera. I haven't used the iPhone 3GS in awhile, but I'd recon that Motorola Droid X2 is close in picture quality.

Regarding modding - Motorola puts locked bootloaders on their top-end Android phones of late. It's annoying, but I think modders have already cracked the X2. The only tool you'll need is a USB cable so you can enable USB debugging mode.

But one more thing; would I be correct in assuming that any android phone can play NES, and SNES emulators with needing to be modded?
    Sure. There were NES/SNES emulators in the Android Market until Google removed them like 2 months ago. They're probably still on the unofficial app stores (which you don't need to hack your phone to use, FYI) and even if they aren't, the .apk files are probably hanging around the web somewhere.

So, Motorola Droid X2 is my pick for you.

If you decide you want 4G, my current fav 4G phone on VZW is the Samsung Droid Charge. It's just a single core phone, so you'll lose that, but it's got a big super OLED screen and similar other specs to the X2.

still hoping that the Bionic drops on Aug 4th as the rumors say. My OD is getting really flaky. Does not handle GB too well

still hoping that the Bionic drops on Aug 4th as the rumors say. My OD is getting really flaky. Does not handle GB too well
    What's OD?

Original Droid?

yup

I've run so many different ROMS, Froyo,GB mothing seems to work right but cant seem to get myself to go back I keep trying different GB roms.